Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tornados and toenails. Figure that one out.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

Tornados and toenails.  Figure that one out.   Empty
PostSubject: Tornados and toenails. Figure that one out.    Tornados and toenails.  Figure that one out.   EmptyWed May 25, 2011 3:10 am

:Blech: Very Happy
Actually, there's nothing to figure out! I just had two things to talk about and they didn't rate their own post, so I'm combining them. Smile

First, none of you knew until right now that I have mucho family that live in Oklahoma. In fact, I'd wager that the majority of my extended family (on both sides) lives in Guthrie, Okla. City, and Tulsa. So, needless to say, I've had an anxious afternoon/evening. The good news is that the closest any of the tornados came to any of my family was a mile or so. The bad news is that I saw on the news cast that one of the families in Guthrie (whom I don't know) lost three of four birds along with their house. Sad

I would miss my birds more than my house. I wish I could do something for them... that makes me so sad. And the one bird left is going to be so lonely. Either way, I'm going to say a prayer for them.

Next, I wish I could find a way to keep JJ's toe-nails from growing and getting sharp! She LOVES to sit high on my shoulder at night (like right now) and snuggle up against my neck. But it is soooo uncomfortable with her sharp toes scratching on that delicate skin all the time. I've thought about getting a nail perch, but she's hardly ever in her cage to begin with - and when she is, she's usually hanging on her boing or upside down from her swing. Do you think I could get her to wear some fuzzy slippers? Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Tornados and toenails. Figure that one out.    Tornados and toenails.  Figure that one out.   EmptyWed May 25, 2011 3:13 am

I'm glad your family is okay. I would love to go storm chasing, but I'd hate to see families lose everything.

And nails -- use a nail file!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Tornados and toenails. Figure that one out.    Tornados and toenails.  Figure that one out.   EmptyWed May 25, 2011 1:02 pm

Good thoughts to you and your family! What an anxious thing to wait through. Hug2

I've also seen pedi-platforms (don't know if that' what they're called) that you could put out somewhere when JJ's with you. While the rough surfaces are not ideal for their feet to be constantly on, I don't see that they'd be any problem if the bird were on them for an hour or two a day; just not all day long. Maybe get one of those and see if you can get him to walk on it a few times a day?

Otherwise, yeah, a nail file. I like the ones for acrylic nails. That takes the tips off really fast and easily. Put JJ on a perch and start scritching him all over to get him super relaxed and then start rubbing his feet; progress to picking up a toe and rubbing the toe with one hand while giving him scritches on the head with the other, do this for both feet and all toes; get to where you can eliminate the head scritches while you rub his toes, when you're at that point you can introduce the nail file and do one toe and see how it goes. End the filing session before he gets upset. You should be able to train him to allow you to file his toes while he's sitting on a perch. This is going to take a while to teach him.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tornados and toenails. Figure that one out.    Tornados and toenails.  Figure that one out.   Empty

Back to top Go down

Tornados and toenails. Figure that one out.
Page 1 of 1