Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

newbie saying hi

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bearhugnjp
Budgerigar

newbie saying hi Empty
PostSubject: newbie saying hi   newbie saying hi EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 2:01 am

I'm a newbie to this group. I have a Double Yellow headed Amazon parrot, who is around 20 years old now.

But I need help with my newest bird.

My daughter gave me a White bellied Cyique and we got along beautifully for 3 weeks. Now he has been biting me for the last 3 days.

I need help...he is possibly hormonal now. This isn't his typical personality.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

newbie saying hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie saying hi   newbie saying hi EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 2:42 am

Welcome to the forum! I don't have specific experience with caiques, but I wonder if he's just getting over being overwhelmed.

I'm a big fan of avoiding the bite rather than confronting it. Fwiw.
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

newbie saying hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie saying hi   newbie saying hi EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 9:25 am

Welcome to the forum!

Regarding your Caique, did something happen to scare him? Did you move something around? An alternative could be hormones.

Our was sweet as pie until I had a "trusted" friend sit for the birds for a long weekend, and I came back & he was in full bomb dive mode...he's still very Jekyll/Hyde 5 years later despite working with him daily - he has major trust issues because of a few idiots.

Hopefully he was just spooked and will come back to full sweetness immediately - I do recommend having foot toys while you're out to keep his beak busy, and food as bribery (fruit, veggies, etc.) - Caiques cannot resist the temptation of food, and it's a great training tool for them (okay, it's great for Rosco, and has helped him learn how to behave neutrally towards Husband instead of bomb diving him).

You will learn how his feathers stand when he's not so happy, certain sounds, and the expression in his eyes.

Take his queues, and try not to push him too much if he's in a "mood" - he will hopefuly come around sooner than later.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
BratBirds
Parrotlet
BratBirds

My Birds : Timneh African Grey-Peanut
Sun Conure-Skittles
Tiel-Mariah

newbie saying hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie saying hi   newbie saying hi EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 9:03 pm

Welcome bearhugnip. Is the name what happens with your caique? Bearhug followed by a nip. LOL I think you may just be having 'the honeymoon is over' issues. While he was unsure of you he behaved well. Now that he is beginning to feel safe he is testing his limits. You didn't mention how old he is or how many homes he has been in before yours (if he is that old). That information would help us help you. What are your babies' names?
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

newbie saying hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie saying hi   newbie saying hi EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 10:38 pm

BratBirds wrote:
I think you may just be having 'the honeymoon is over' issues. While he was unsure of you he behaved well. Now that he is beginning to feel safe he is testing his limits.

Welcome to Paradise! The above is exactly what first occurred to me. I went through this with Arthur when I got him him from the shelter. It will settle down over time, but it may not ever get as good as it was before. Then again, it may. It will take perserverance on our part to keep working with him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

newbie saying hi Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie saying hi   newbie saying hi Empty

Back to top Go down

newbie saying hi
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Welcome :: Introductions-
Jump to: