Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ekkie Update (for Anita)

Go down 
+5
kaeladedah
evil chicken
GlassOnion
patdbunny
atlanon
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

Ekkie Update (for Anita) Empty
PostSubject: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 4:55 pm

I didn't want to post all this and hijack your Amazon thread!

Yoshi's doing great. Still confusing the crap out of me sometimes, but it's a good confusion. Up until maybe two or three days ago I couldn't interact with him without him squawking every 15 seconds or so. He had eaten, so I figured it was just a baby thing I'd read about and I tried not to let it keep me from playing with and talking to him. For the past couple of days he's been an angel though, totally quiet. Halo I even try doing peekaboo with him to get him to talk, but he's happy just turning his head upside down and looking at me like I'm crazy. screwloose The only noises he makes are when he's sleeping, and they're hilarious. It's almost budgie-like? Just a quiet conversational murmer/chirping like he's dreaming. He's not comfortable with shoulders yet, but if I'm sitting reclined he'll lay on my chest, nestle under my chin and fall asleep there. The other day I actually took him up to the bedroom and I was laying on my bed on my stomach reading a book and he crawled up and buried himself in my hair. I thought it was cute until **I** dozed off and woke up in a panic that maybe I squished him in my sleep Shocked . He was fine. Don't plan on making that a habit, though.

As far as eating, I'm still frustrated that he doesn't have a huge taste for fresh stuff yet, but I realize that'll come eventually. I've found that his weak link is oatmeal, the only problem is that oatmeal is like CEMENT and he gets it all over his face. And the cage. And my white walls. Duh Whatever makes baby happy though, right? Rolling Eyes

We also got a harness!! He's not overly thrilled with it, but he lets me get it on. I want to take him outside every time he has it on so that he knows that harnesses mean happy times. I'm sure he won't care about it a few months from now.

QUESTION for everyone, though... have you ever discovered a random object that your bird can't stand or is totally freaked out by?! The other day he was roaming the floor and playing with the curtains and I was looking for something small to roll around on the floor for him. I pulled a little red silly putty egg from my computer desk (don't judge me...) and walked it over for him to look at it and he went BERZERK!!!!!! Got all puffed up and started striking at it violently, I'd never seen a bird do that to anything, much less this bird, much less to a silly putty egg... WayConfused I put it away and tried to see if he would do it again later that night. I didn't want to freak him out, but I presented it in a different room, different situation and he still went all wild-eyed and banshee-ish on it. What the heck does he think this thing is??
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 6:22 pm

Quote :
QUESTION for everyone, though... have you ever discovered a random object that your bird can't stand or is totally freaked out by?! The other day he was roaming the floor and playing with the curtains and I was looking for something small to roll around on the floor for him. I pulled a little red silly putty egg from my computer desk (don't judge me...) and walked it over for him to look at it and he went BERZERK!!!!!! Got all puffed up and started striking at it violently, I'd never seen a bird do that to anything, much less this bird, much less to a silly putty egg... WayConfused I put it away and tried to see if he would do it again later that night. I didn't want to freak him out, but I presented it in a different room, different situation and he still went all wild-eyed and banshee-ish on it. What the heck does he think this thing is??
Yeah, it happens. Our old G2 - it was feet in socks. Barefoot or in shoes was fine, socks alone were fine, not fine if there were feet in the socks.

I'll let Evil Chicken relay Ducky with rubber duckies.

Birds are insane. That can be the only explanation. Crazy
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 6:50 pm

Aww, Lyz that's so cute how he came to snuggle with you! I love female ekkies, I've never been drawn to the males' coloring unfortunately, but I would love a female ekkie. I'd stare at her all day!!!

It's really sad, but everywhere I look, the cockatoo (maybe macaw) has the perfect personality for me MINUS the screaming and the velcro ness..
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 7:27 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Aww, Lyz that's so cute how he came to snuggle with you! I love female ekkies, I've never been drawn to the males' coloring unfortunately, but I would love a female ekkie. I'd stare at her all day!!!

It's really sad, but everywhere I look, the cockatoo (maybe macaw) has the perfect personality for me MINUS the screaming and the velcro ness..

The females are beautiful, they're just not the colors I'm drawn to, I love love love the male's colors. The thing that I think makes either bird so awesome is that their feathers are so fine it looks like hair. They both just look like paintings.

And yeah, I can understand those little "ifs" and "buts" that screw with your bird search. I kept running into them, too. I really do think the ekkie is perfect for me though. I found my glove, you'll find yours, too Very Happy Or, I guess as we like to say on here, (s)he'll find YOU!! Wink
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 7:29 pm

Can I have multiple gloves? I don't think I can do 'one size fits all'... Wink
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 8:12 pm

LyzGrace wrote:

Ducky had the same thing. He used to absolutely HATE his namesakes - rubber duckies. I have one in my room and picked both him and it up just to see what he thought of it, and he fluffed up and started striking at it. I hid it behind my back and everything was all fine. Pull it back into view, Ducky went "wild-eyed and banshee-ish" again. I put him back on his cage and went across the room and it was okay, but then I squeaked it and ohhh, it was all over. Ducky flipped his little birdie lid trying to kill the thing. He almost fell off the cage trying to bite it from across the room. I'm glad to say he's (mostly) gotten over his hatred of rubber duckies since then, although they still creep him out so I keep mine across the room and un-squeaked.

And also - I can't exactly judge you on the silly putty thing. I can entertain myself with it for a good half hour... Silly putty's amazingly addicting for such a simple, strange thing... (And did you know - it comes in blue?! Smile )
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:13 am

LyzGrace wrote:
QUESTION for everyone, though... have you ever discovered a random object that your bird can't stand or is totally freaked out by?!

Cheney Bird hates a green blanket I have. Refuses to be near it, hides from it, attacks it.
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 1:40 am

Merlin reacts that way to his Aviator harness Sad . I am beginning to doubt I can get him into it, and I so want to take him outside.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 7:41 am

I'm so happy Yoshi is doing so well! I love hearing about him!! I am far more drawn to the males too, in general actually. I seem to gravtiate towards males over females.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 8:38 am

evil chicken wrote:

And also - I can't exactly judge you on the silly putty thing. I can entertain myself with it for a good half hour... Silly putty's amazingly addicting for such a simple, strange thing... (And did you know - it comes in blue?! Smile )

YES, I did know it came in blue!! I... have... both.... **awkward sideways glances**

But thanks guys, good to know I'm not the only one with a maniac bird. And Roger, I hope Merlin overcomes his aviator harness aversion!! Have you tried just sitting it outside the cage and leaving it there for a few days/weeks/however long? Maybe he just needs to see in constantly. Maybe use it as a toy or something. If his reaction was anything like Yoshi's to the silly putty egg, though, I'm out of suggestions. WayConfused

Haha, Julsiebean... you're his biggest fan! And I know exactly what you mean about just normally being drawn to males, I'm the SAME way and not only with birds. Two out of three of my show horses over the years were geldings and the ONE mare that I had was a witch and I sold her. My dog's a male, my birds a male. Just out of curiosity, do you find that you get along better with human males? I'm constantly in a group where I'm one of the only girls and I think it's just because of the activities that I like (more guys play ultimate frisbee or come on rock climbing/camping trips than girls), but I do get along better with guys in general. I'd be interested to see if there's a connection Smile
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 1:38 pm

LyzGrace wrote:
evil chicken wrote:

YES, I did know it came in blue!! I... have... both.... **awkward sideways glances** (...)
Laughing I do too! Don't worry, we're not the only weirdos out there. My mom used to hide Happy Meal toys from me so she could have them all to herself. screwloose
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 2:29 pm

evil chicken wrote:
LyzGrace wrote:
evil chicken wrote:

YES, I did know it came in blue!! I... have... both.... **awkward sideways glances** (...)
Laughing I do too! Don't worry, we're not the only weirdos out there. My mom used to hide Happy Meal toys from me so she could have them all to herself. screwloose

Roz RogerP Yes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Yes, all of my friends are male. All of my best friends are male. All of my pets that "I pick" are males. All of my favorite coworkers, bosses, teachers, anything really- males. Back when I worked for a feral cat rescue if they had wild toms come in, they called on me to soothe/foster. When I worked with kids thru a highschool program when I was in school I was always assigned to the boys. As luck would have it, I have two sons. yahoo When I was pregnant with my second people were always talking about how I must want a girl for that "perfect" family. Nope. Honestly and most obviously, I wanted a healthy baby. I never got hung up on wanting a certain gender, but in my heart I always wanted a house full of little boys!

Sorry, I know that was long winded. I've had a lot of coffee today. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee! wee
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 2:53 pm

evil chicken wrote:
Hey! The Hello Kitty sticker dispenser with stickers was just too cool to share with a KID!
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 3:43 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
Yes, all of my friends are male. All of my best friends are male. All of my pets that "I pick" are males. All of my favorite coworkers, bosses, teachers, anything really- males. Back when I worked for a feral cat rescue if they had wild toms come in, they called on me to soothe/foster. When I worked with kids thru a highschool program when I was in school I was always assigned to the boys. As luck would have it, I have two sons. yahoo When I was pregnant with my second people were always talking about how I must want a girl for that "perfect" family. Nope. Honestly and most obviously, I wanted a healthy baby. I never got hung up on wanting a certain gender, but in my heart I always wanted a house full of little boys!

Very cool!! I'm sure there's some scientific psychological relation there. I'm in the same boat mostly, my very best friend is a girl, but almost all of my good friends are guys. They were before I got married and now that I moved down with the hubz, all of my local friends are second-hand from him anyway, so I'm always in a house full of guys. Any girl friends I have are either a little off-the-wall and like me or they're just acquaintances. I just can't take typical female drama, drives me bananas Shocked . In my heart, though, I do want a baby girl one day I love you . I don't want a TON of kids, but Nate and I have talked about adopting... I just love kids. When I worked at my daycamp I was a little girl magnet and I absolutely melt for the 6-10 year old girls. AND boys. But I still want both Very Happy

patdbunny wrote:
evil chicken wrote:
Hey! The Hello Kitty sticker dispenser with stickers was just too cool to share with a KID!

Hello Kitty? I'm sure there's some asian joke I can make here...
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Lyz, it's good to read about Yoshi.
Chico freaked about one of bf dog's toys at the beginning and after a month or so she almost shared it on peaces Wink
Harness is also like a devil for her, even we walk almost every day, she still have to fight with them Wink
Budgies freak out when they see nail clipper, but that reasonable, I clipp Mango's beak with it, he is screamming during that time, and they all think that I torture him Sad
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 9:53 pm

LyzGrace wrote:

patdbunny wrote:
evil chicken wrote:

Hello Kitty? I'm sure there's some asian joke I can make here...
Nah! I just like Hello Kitty.
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Aw! Birdie snuggles!! Love it Smile

I am in the same "mostly boy" boat. All my animals are male and a good portion of my best friends have always been male. My best friend in highschool was female...other than that...I was a wrestling manager and helped with football. LOL

Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Talking about manly thing...
When I was a baby, my mother couldn't dress me "girly", because I loved to climb on trees and etc...
When I was a little older, I always run from kitchen(it was so boring) to see what my father is fixing, and that was interesting more!
My bf told me couple times already, that if he didn't really know me, he'd think I'm a lesbian. I ask him WHY?
- Because you fix everything by yourself and even if I start doing something, you have to come and help me!

I was told once by my parents, that to the last moment they thought I'll be a boy Roz Don't take me wrong, I'm straight, I love my bf, but yes, I'm man-type of woman yahoo
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 10:47 pm

Margaret wrote:
Talking about manly thing...
When I was a baby, my mother couldn't dress me "girly", because I loved to climb on trees and etc...
When I was a little older, I always run from kitchen(it was so boring) to see what my father is fixing, and that was interesting more!
My bf told me couple times already, that if he didn't really know me, he'd think I'm a lesbian. I ask him WHY?
- Because you fix everything by yourself and even if I start doing something, you have to come and help me!

I was told once by my parents, that to the last moment they thought I'll be a boy Roz Don't take me wrong, I'm straight, I love my bf, but yes, I'm man-type of woman yahoo

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Margaret that is SO me! I was always climbing trees and running around... I even had a little boy hair cut at one point **shudder**. I beat guys in arm-wrestling matches, I got a gun for christmas when I was 13. And I've definitely been told that I would make a good lesbian Duh I was my dad's first boy. I remember we took a trailerload of hay to our church for a VBS and he was making bets with the men in my church as to how many I could carry at once. And now I can dis- and re-assemble our 9mm handgun in under a minute. All bird-ladies are crazy. A little "manly" in there never hurt anybody Yes
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 11:03 pm

I drink Guiness stout. Is that a hair I see on my chest?
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 6:04 am

LyzGrace wrote:

LOL! Bucky did that to a piece of toast I'd made for him this morning! He kept attacking it until I started eating it, then all of a sudden it wasn't such a threat after all. Laughing

GlassOnion wrote:
LOL! Maybe I'm biased, but isn't a screaming piece of velcro what a 'too is?

RogerP wrote:
Merlin reacts that way to his Aviator harness Sad . I am beginning to doubt I can get him into it, and I so want to take him outside.
JJ acts the exact same way. I just put her in it anyway, and once she's in it she's fine.

And seriously? I knew there was a reason I loved you guys so much!
Julsiebean wrote:
LyzGrace wrote:
Very cool!! I'm sure there's some scientific psychological relation there. I'm in the same boat mostly, my very best friend is a girl, but almost all of my good friends are guys. They were before I got married and now that I moved down with the hubz, all of my local friends are second-hand from him anyway, so I'm always in a house full of guys. Any girl friends I have are either a little off-the-wall and like me or they're just acquaintances. I just can't take typical female drama, drives me bananas Shocked . In my heart, though, I do want a baby girl one day I love you . I don't want a TON of kids, but Nate and I have talked about adopting... I just love kids. When I worked at my daycamp I was a little girl magnet and I absolutely melt for the 6-10 year old girls. AND boys. But I still want both Very Happy
I was much the same way. I had girl friends, but the people I enjoyed spending time with the most were my guy friends. Like Lyz said, I just can't take the typical female drama. It makes me insane too! Crazy It's funny, in general, I just really like boys better. My daughter is the same way, for the most part all of her friends have been guys.

Margaret wrote:
I always run from kitchen(it was so boring) to see what my father is fixing, and that was interesting more!
ME TOO!!!party clap
Margaret wrote:
Because you fix everything by yourself and even if I start doing something, you have to come and help me!
I do the SAME thing!!! wheee!
Margaret wrote:
Don't take me wrong, I'm straight, I love my bf, but yes, I'm man-type of woman yahoo
Yep... That's me too!
LyzGrace wrote:

Margaret that is SO me! I was always climbing trees and running around.
Me again!
LyzGrace wrote:
I got a gun for christmas when I was 13.
Didn't get my own until 3 years ago, but started shooting at 16. Wink
LyzGrace wrote:
And I've definitely been told that I would make a good lesbian
Yup. Me.
LyzGrace wrote:
I was my dad's first boy.
lol, I was my dad's ONLY boy!
LyzGrace wrote:
And now I can dis- and re-assemble our 9mm handgun in under a minute.
Me too! My 9mm and my .40 cal.!!! :2gunz:
LyzGrace wrote:
All bird-ladies are crazy. A little "manly" in there never hurt anybody Yes
A little "manly" just makes for a well-rounded woman!

patdbunny wrote:
I dunno sister! Take a picture and post it! I'm sure there'll be plenty of people willing to weigh-in and give an opinion!
Roz
Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 12:32 pm

Vicki5280 wrote:
patdbunny wrote:
I dunno sister! Take a picture and post it! I'm sure there'll be plenty of people willing to weigh-in and give an opinion!
Roz
Laughing

BAAAhahaha... Vicki that entire post made me smile, but I literally laughed out loud in my living room at that one Roz RogerP

And... maybe it's just a crazy bird lady thing!! Good to know Vicki and I are safe from any ninja parties lookin' to creep in 'n' steal our fiddies... :2gunz:
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 12:55 pm

[quote="LyzGrace"]
Vicki5280 wrote:
patdbunny wrote:
Roz
Laughing

I'm stacked for an asian. . .
TMI?
Hooters: SisterOwl SisterOwl
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:38 pm

[quote="patdbunny"]
LyzGrace wrote:
Vicki5280 wrote:
patdbunny wrote:
Roz
Laughing

I'm stacked for an asian. . .
TMI?
Hooters: SisterOwl SisterOwl
Hey, I was an Labor and Delivery nurse for years!! Your SisterOwl SisterOwl's don't offend me any!
The more the merrier I always say! coldtrance

Roz Laughing Julsiebean
Roftl
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ekkie Update (for Anita)   Ekkie Update (for Anita) Empty

Back to top Go down

Ekkie Update (for Anita)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next