Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Baby Food and Birds.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Baby Food and Birds. Empty
PostSubject: Baby Food and Birds.   Baby Food and Birds. EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 3:37 pm

Cheney Bird has decided he no longer wants to eat fresh foods. The budgies have never bothered with fresh foods. Is it particularly bad to give up on the fresh foods for right now and give them just baby food? They'll eat the baby food in place of the exact same thing that's just cut up. For instance, they'll eat baby food sweet potatoes but not cut up and cooked sweet potatoes.

So, baby food bad? Good? Doesn't really matter?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Baby Food and Birds.   Baby Food and Birds. EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 3:39 pm

I don't see where it'll be "bad" for them. Perhaps not as ideal as fresh foods since I think the cooking/processing destroys nutrients. But if they won't eat anything else, it's a lot better than just seed. It's a do what you have to do kinda situation. Maybe since they like the baby food you can use the food processor and mince up fresh veggies/fruits and put a small bit mixed into the baby food?
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Baby Food and Birds.   Baby Food and Birds. EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 3:44 pm

Yeah, I thought about the food processor idea, but I don't have one of them. And a 45 cent jar of baby food is cheaper than the food processor right now.

I think he likes the fact that I spoon feed him the baby food, too. With the fresh stuff, I give it to them in their food dishes in the cages.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Baby Food and Birds.   Baby Food and Birds. EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 3:56 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
Yeah, I thought about the food processor idea, but I don't have one of them. And a 45 cent jar of baby food is cheaper than the food processor right now.

I think he likes the fact that I spoon feed him the baby food, too. With the fresh stuff, I give it to them in their food dishes in the cages.
vicki 5280 Oh! So they're just spoiled!!
You can try a cheese grater at the 99 cent store and grate bits of fresh stuff into the baby food "sauce".
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
none
Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Baby Food and Birds.   Baby Food and Birds. EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 3:43 pm

I use this mini cheese grater to grate up some carrots and broccoli. It is only about 2 inches tall and works great for my flock of 1. Laughing

Baby Food and Birds. MiniCheeseGrater
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Baby Food and Birds.   Baby Food and Birds. EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 5:25 pm

If you get low-sodium baby food the only major dowside I can see is that it is cooked and high moisture, so you probably can't leave it out very long before it spoils. You might try grating or finely chopping up fresh food and mixing it in with the baby food.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Baby Food and Birds.   Baby Food and Birds. EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 6:09 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
If you get low-sodium baby food the only major dowside I can see is that it is cooked and high moisture, so you probably can't leave it out very long before it spoils. You might try grating or finely chopping up fresh food and mixing it in with the baby food.

I've gotten the stuff that's just the main ingredient and water, so I'm not sure sodium would even be a problem. I also don't leave it out because he won't eat it if it's mixed in with the pellets or seeds. He'll only eat it if it's off of a spoon that I'm holding. I'll definitely try grating or finely chopping stuff up for him, though. I'm just not sure why all of a sudden he's decided he doesn't like stuff he used to like.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Baby Food and Birds.   Baby Food and Birds. EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 6:17 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
I'm just not sure why all of a sudden he's decided he doesn't like stuff he used to like.
Budgies bad influence vicki 5280
I'm kidding, but whatever Mango start/stop doing, sooner or later all of my birds follow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baby Food and Birds.   Baby Food and Birds. Empty

Back to top Go down

Baby Food and Birds.
Page 1 of 1