Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue

Go down 
+2
RogerP
patdbunny
6 posters
AuthorMessage
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue Empty
PostSubject: Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue   Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 11:17 pm

I just got the Aug 2011 issue of Bird Talk. A couple of articles in there that might be of interest to y'all.

Article on harnessing.

Article on Grey Headed parrots, aka capes, aka un-capes.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue   Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 1:12 am

I'll have to check that out. Thanks Roz!
Muchas Gracias

Last edited by RogerP on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Eliminating extra letters sent by Merlin!=)
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue   Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks! I'll have to see if my friend who is getting a Cape soon has this edition - if not, I must suggest it to her Very Happy.

I raised a few when I worked with parrots - one became Merlin's girlfriend - he was so shy & coy around her, but he tried to feed her a few times, so at least "he" loved her Very Happy. He'd talk to her in our old roomate's deep voice - it was rather amusing Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue   Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 8:55 pm

crystalsbirdtoys wrote:
Thanks! I'll have to see if my friend who is getting a Cape soon has this edition - if not, I must suggest it to her Very Happy.

I raised a few when I worked with parrots - one became Merlin's girlfriend - he was so shy & coy around her, but he tried to feed her a few times, so at least "he" loved her Very Happy. He'd talk to her in our old roomate's deep voice - it was rather amusing Smile

Natasha?

Watching Micheal's videos of Truman, I'm seriously falling in love with Capes. They seem like huge babies. Too bad they're super rare here in Canada...
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue   Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 9:54 pm

I thought the Cape article was good but not perfect. The whole naming thing is such a mess right now, and the author kind of brushed that off.

Scotty is one heck of a bird. He's my first "big" parrot, aside from vicarious experience with Sake, and he's a total riot. I understand most larger birds are bit more... sedate. He plays with great vigor. I've seen him leap to the base of his playtop and go running across it at high speed to throw something at my husband. He takes wiffle balls and puts them at the top of the ladder so they roll down and bounce off. His latest fun activity is emptying the cups I use as toy holders on the play top and then climbing underneath them and using his head to fling them upwards out of the ring. He also talks very well. And he can be terribly, terribly sweet with it. If he thinks he's in trouble or if he's uncomfortable with what's going on he goes "Aaaawwwww" in this kind of little-girlish voice. He's my husband's bird but I keep trying to talk him into getting another bird for him so I can take Scotty off his hands.... that said, he's been quite a handful, especially for Bill. We think he was manhandled by males and he also bonded to me despite efforts for me to handle him minimally. Getting him to play nice with Bill has been a bit of an extended effort. They aren't said to be prone to biting, but when that beak gets used, it's not comfy! If he's a typical specimen I'd say they were great birds for somewhat experienced people.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue   Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Just bought. Interesting article about harnessing, something about bacterias and finally my eye enjoyed couple of 'zons here and there Wink Have a lecture for evening!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue   Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Bird Talk - Aug 2011 issue
Page 1 of 1