Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Quack Quack Quackers

Go down 
+5
Margaret
moa
GlassOnion
ScooterNScotty
patdbunny
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Quack Quack Quackers Empty
PostSubject: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 2:58 pm

So, I've had some lady contact me. She thinks she wants an IRN. She used to have a quacker prior to moving to sucky CA where nothing cool is legal. She wants something similar to a quacker. I don't think that's an IRN. I think it's more like a conure.

Well you guys?
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Depends on what she wants characteristic wise... one thing quakers are known for and conures are not is talking ability. Quackers of course, are just ducky, so maybe you are onto something.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 3:03 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Depends on what she wants characteristic wise... one thing quakers are known for and conures are not is talking ability. Quackers of course, are just ducky, so maybe you are onto something.
She didn't indicate that talking ability was important. She described her quacker as "sweet". I don't think I'd describe an IRN as sweet. I've emailed her back for more details about what qualities she's looking for.

I would love to have a quacker to check them out. To bad we can't here.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 3:10 pm

patdbunny wrote:
. To bad we can't here.
Yeah. They do sound like really cool little birds.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 3:15 pm

What about a Red bellied parrot? Similar size, clownish, cuddly, outgoing, usually very clear talkers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 3:25 pm

I'd suggest a some sort of conure. It is the closest. Quakers play better by themselves, and are are happier to let be, but over all very similar I find.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 3:31 pm

But she's looking for a talking bird, that's probably why she looked at IRNs. Quakers are some of the best speakers out there, and Conures -with a few exceptions- are usually some of the worst.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Actually, Roz said she didn't indicate talking ability. Unless I am reading something wrong.

She didn't indicate that talking ability was important. She described her quacker as "sweet". I don't think I'd describe an IRN as sweet. I've emailed her back for more details about what qualities she's looking for.

Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:11 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
But she's looking for a talking bird, that's probably why she looked at IRNs. Quakers are some of the best speakers out there, and Conures -with a few exceptions- are usually some of the worst.

No, no "She didn't indicate that talking ability was important." She described her quacker as "sweet".

Red Bellies - I've interacted with a few, but not enough to be comfortable recommending them. I generally don't discuss birds that I don't have first hand experience with. "clownish, cuddly, outgoing" are very general terms. My CAG was cuddly, but not cuddly like a conure. My IRN's outgoing, but in a different way than a caique. So I really don't feel comfortable discussing as I can't describe exactly what the adjective means.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:15 pm

There is just nothing likea good Quaker. Quack Quack Quackers 2154879677
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:30 pm

california needs to legalize ferrets and quakers, pronto Twisted Evil If I didn't get to play with ferrets at work then I'd be an unhappy child... and quakers sound like cool lil birds too!
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:36 pm

I completely misread that, I thought she DID indicate that talking was important..
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 5:20 pm

patdbunny wrote:
(...) "clownish, cuddly, outgoing" are very general terms. (...)
Seems like Cockatiel to me wee Why not?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 6:22 pm

Margaret wrote:
patdbunny wrote:
(...) "clownish, cuddly, outgoing" are very general terms. (...)
Seems like Cockatiel to me Quack Quack Quackers 1270972548 Why not?

Exactly. These general terms have different meanings for different people. Outgoing - My husband and I just discussed this. He does not consider IRNs outgoing because they're not in-your-face friendly. I do consider IRNs outgoing. My Xavier, if you go near his cage or the play stand he's on he comes over to you and starts "talking" to you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 6:24 pm

I've had an outgoing tiel and a not out going tiel.

I am so sad Quakers face this unjustice.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 6:33 pm

Hmmm.. I definitely don't consider Cockatiels clownish. If anything, they're the most pigeon-like parrots I've encountered.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:03 pm

patdbunny wrote:
These general terms have different meanings for different people.

GlassOnion wrote:
Hmmm.. I definitely don't consider Cockatiels clownish. If anything, they're the most pigeon-like parrots I've encountered.

Case on point.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:15 pm

When I commented, I used that description just as a reminder of those qualities, ASSUMING you knew what Red Bellieds were like. Hadn't thought it out on my part.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:44 pm

The problem with Quakers in CA isn't Quakers, it's people... they do really well when they get loose, and they can be hard on agriculture. We have feral flocks of conures and amazons in several places and they aren't nearly as prolific as Quakers. The law assumes if you have it, it will get loose.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:48 pm

I don't know what the big deal about feral Quakers is,the only place i see them is around the fast food joints usually battling the sea gulls.Them and the Jendays.

Last edited by henpecked on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:49 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
The problem with Quakers in CA isn't Quakers, it's people... they do really well when they get loose, and they can be hard on agriculture. We have feral flocks of conures and amazons in several places and they aren't nearly as prolific as Quakers. The law assumes if you have it, it will get loose.
One word - Florida
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:50 pm

moa wrote:
california needs to legalize ferrets and quakers, pronto Twisted Evil If I didn't get to play with ferrets at work then I'd be an unhappy child... and quakers sound like cool lil birds too!
Moa - aren't ferrets PERFECT? Puppy and kitten rolled into one. One down side - they don't live very long.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:55 pm

I haven't heard of Quakers being farm pest ,i know they have "programs" to control them and the Jendays but i have only seen them in urban settings.I know that they can compete with any bird for food and even crows and seagulls don't want to mess with them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:56 pm

I used to have ferrets, what a blast! Kinda stinky though, but not too bad. Poop a lot.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 8:10 pm

henpecked wrote:
I haven't heard of Quakers being farm pest ,i know they have "programs" to control them and the Jendays but i have only seen them in urban settings.I know that they can compete with any bird for food and even crows and seagulls don't want to mess with them.
They build humongo nests on power lines/power poles. I guess the concern is fire hazard and economic damage from that and keeping the poles clear.

Julsiebean wrote:
I used to have ferrets, what a blast! Kinda stinky though, but not too bad. Poop a lot.
Smelly they are. "If" I were to have a ferret, which-I-never-have-as-they're-illegal, I'd bath it weekly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quack Quack Quackers   Quack Quack Quackers Empty

Back to top Go down

Quack Quack Quackers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: Parrot Species-
Jump to: