Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Budgie FAQ.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Budgie FAQ.  Empty
PostSubject: Budgie FAQ.    Budgie FAQ.  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:26 am

Budgerigars are often improperly referred to as a parakeet. While all budgies are parakeets, not all parakeets are budgies. Parakeets are actually a very large group of any small, long tailed parrots.

Budgies are some of the most common companion parrots and come in a variety of color mutations. These birds are small, being only about 7 inches and 35 grams.

The most common coloration of budgies are green (normal) or blue. The green colored birds also feature yellow coloration and black tail feathers. They also have black bars on the wings and shoulders. Blue budgies often feature white coloration and blue or black tail feathers. Again, they feature the same barred features of the normal budgies.

Budgies can come in many mutations, including lutino and albino. There are cinnamon, lacewinged, clearwinged, greywinged, opaline, blue, violet, pied, spangled, dilute and other varieties that are often not found in wild flocks. It wasn't until these birds were bred in captivity that we've begun seeing all of these different mutations.

Males and female budgies can be told apart after about one year of age. Before then, both sexes have light pink ceres. Once a budgie has reached maturation and gone through their first molt, the cere changes color and you are able to determine whether your particular bird is male or female. Male budgies have blue ceres, while females have a flaky brown cere. While some people will say that a lutino or albino bird's cere won't change, I've personally seen my female lutino budgie's cere go from a milky white to a flaky brown.

Budgies often make good pets for the novice bird owner and children. While I wouldn't call these birds beginner birds as every bird deserves the same amount of care, time, and dedication, they are often more forgiving than their much larger counterparts.

These parrots are inexpensive and widely available at many retail pet shops. And while some pet shops may have quality birds, it is often easier to work with and tame a budgie raised by a breeder.

When going to pick our your budgie, look for signs that the bird is healthy. It should be perched upright, preening or playing, and breathing in a normal manner. If the bird is hunched over, appears weak, or has discharge from the eyes, vent, or cere, that bird is probably ill.

The life expectency of a budgie is about 15 years with proper care. Unfortunately, the average life expectency is only 5 to 8 years. Many are often subject to improper care and treatment. Many are fed substandard diets and may develop fatty tumors.

Budgies are very vocal, though they are not nearly as loud as their other parrot relatives. They often chirp throughout the day. Some budgies may learn to talk, but it shouldn't be expected.

Budgies are very playful and will ring bells, swing on swings, climb ladders, and shred papers. A variety of toys should be available at all times to stimulate them. My particular budgies love to play with their bells and shred their shredder puff.

While these birds are small, adequate caging should be provided. It is often recommended by pet shops that a pair of budgies has an 18 x 18 x 18 cage. I find this to be horribly tiny for two budgies, and I house mine in a 20.5 x 18 x 36 cage. Cages should be large enough for the birds to spread their wings.

Overall, budgies are wonderful companions. They are sweet, intelligent, and hilarious to watch play. They are able to learn some tricks with the proper handling, but that should never be the sole focus of owning a bird. They make great pets for children and adults alike.

Wild budgies in Australia:
Budgie FAQ.  In_nature

Last edited by Margaret on Fri May 20, 2011 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add picture)
Back to top Go down

Budgie FAQ.
Page 1 of 1