Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Harness

Go down 
+2
patdbunny
hannahbird
6 posters
AuthorMessage
hannahbird
African Grey
hannahbird

Harness Empty
PostSubject: Harness   Harness EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 10:35 pm

I need some recommendations? (:
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Harness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness   Harness EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 1:28 am

I've used the Feather Tether in the past and now I've tried the Aviator. For a large bird like a macaw, either one would work and be easy to put on. I do think the Aviator would be easier for the bird to fly in if you're leaving the bird flighted and want it flying on the end of a harness. The Aviator looks like it would be more comfortable too.

If you decide on an Aviator, let me know. I'm trying to work up another order. Special for my BFFs here is $26 if in the US, $28 if in Canada.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
hannahbird
African Grey
hannahbird

Harness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness   Harness EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 9:19 pm

patdbunny wrote:
I've used the Feather Tether in the past and now I've tried the Aviator. For a large bird like a macaw, either one would work and be easy to put on. I do think the Aviator would be easier for the bird to fly in if you're leaving the bird flighted and want it flying on the end of a harness. The Aviator looks like it would be more comfortable too.

If you decide on an Aviator, let me know. I'm trying to work up another order. Special for my BFFs here is $26 if in the US, $28 if in Canada.
I would probably go with the aviator. Thanks for your help!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Harness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness   Harness EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 10:23 pm

The Feather Tether has a clip and is potentially easier to get in and out of without trauma, esp while training, but the clip apparently irritates and distracts some birds, and the harness is not as secure for flight. The aviator seems to be the industry standard, and it is very well made, but you have to get a very small loop around the birds head and you have to pull the wings through the remaing loops -- the only adjustment is a single slide and there is no clasp or clip. I got a Feather Tether cheap on Amazon ($6) and I'm playing with that until I'm sure I can get it on and off without trauma and drama. But I just want the equivalent of an SOS strap for taking birds out on shoulder/arm.
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

Harness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness   Harness EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 10:42 pm

hey sns, is the clip on your feather tether plastic or metal?
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Harness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness   Harness EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 12:34 am

moa wrote:
hey sns, is the clip on your feather tether plastic or metal?

It's Scooter sized and the clip is plastic. The larger sizes have metal clips.
Back to top Go down
Fallen_Parakeet
Cockatiel
Fallen_Parakeet

My Birds : Pete (my parakeet)

Harness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness   Harness EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Is the flight suit the same thing as all the other harnesses? here's a link to the item i'm talking about: http://www.petco.com/product/10832/Avian-Fashions-FlightSuits-for-Smaller-Birds.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductListTopRated_Parakeet_3-_-Avian%20Fashions%20FlightSuits%20for%20Smaller%20Birds-10832

Has anyone here used one of these?
Back to top Go down
idlepirate
Lovebird
idlepirate

My Birds : Lorenzo - Blue Throat Conure

Harness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness   Harness EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 7:19 pm

Id say aviator is best....until they can come up with something like that for smaller birds that's easier to get on. I think once on it probably is the safest and most comfortable but hell to get the dam thing on! I've struggled for months, im at war with lorenzo, he draws blood and rips fingers apart everytime we try. I can get his head through the loop making him think its a "trick" but he panics after since he knows whats next ----wings---- and then he shakes it off and flys away panicing.
hes just too small to get it around his wings without figiting, its really hard. he lets me open his wings and trusts me for that without any props...but with the harness he just wont have it! so anyway maybe they can come up with something better soon thats quick and simple to put on before the bird realizes whats happened!
Shocked Shocked Harness 419367009 Harness 419367009 Shocked Shocked Harness 419367009 Harness 419367009
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bluethroatconure?feature=mhee
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Harness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness   Harness EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 7:56 pm

idlepirate wrote:
he lets me open his wings and trusts me for that without any props...but with the harness he just wont have it! so anyway maybe they can come up with something better soon thats quick and simple to put on before the bird realizes whats happened!
Shocked Shocked Harness 419367009 Harness 419367009 Shocked Shocked Harness 419367009 Harness 419367009

Are you trying to open his wing and tuck the wing into the loops wingtips first? That won't work. You need to pull the "elbow" through and then the rest of the wing goes through.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Fallen_Parakeet
Cockatiel
Fallen_Parakeet

My Birds : Pete (my parakeet)

Harness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness   Harness EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 8:09 pm

idlepirate wrote:
Id say aviator is best....until they can come up with something like that for smaller birds that's easier to get on. I think once on it probably is the safest and most comfortable but hell to get the dam thing on! I've struggled for months, im at war with lorenzo, he draws blood and rips fingers apart everytime we try. I can get his head through the loop making him think its a "trick" but he panics after since he knows whats next ----wings---- and then he shakes it off and flys away panicing.
hes just too small to get it around his wings without figiting, its really hard. he lets me open his wings and trusts me for that without any props...but with the harness he just wont have it! so anyway maybe they can come up with something better soon thats quick and simple to put on before the bird realizes whats happened!
Oh Okay, thanks! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Harness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness   Harness Empty

Back to top Go down

Harness
Page 1 of 1