Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?

Go down 
+5
zazanomore
ScooterNScotty
henpecked
GlassOnion
VickiNumbers
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? Empty
PostSubject: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 4:51 pm

please???
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 4:56 pm

Some yellow parts / Slightly firm like an eraser!
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 5:03 pm

Orange color,almost soft,smells riper than a green one.Of course i always get some key limes too.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 6:30 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Some yellow parts / Slightly firm like an eraser!
I THINK that's what I may have ended up with... I'll take a picture and post...

henpecked wrote:
Orange color,almost soft,smells riper than a green one.Of course i always get some key limes too.
SMELLS RIPER than a green one? Roz That would be helpful if I had ANY idea what ripe was supposed to smell like!!! LOL! And you buy Key Limes too? Do limes help papayas to ripen somehow?? (I love Key Limes - My mom makes a rockin' Key Lime Pie!)
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Lime on papaya is THE Hawaiin way to breakfast!

Honestly, you probably have to buy 'em a few times to find out what ripe feels and smells like. I would say a ripe papaya has a floral, almost slightly gamy smell where an underripe one is almost odorless.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 8:10 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Lime on papaya is THE Hawaiin way to breakfast!
Are you serious?

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Honestly, you probably have to buy 'em a few times to find out what ripe feels and smells like. I would say a ripe papaya has a floral, almost slightly gamy smell where an underripe one is almost odorless.

For everyone who has responded, THANK YOU! LOL!

We were at Sam's today, and they had these HUGE ... THINGS on sale for $2. I looked closer and they were Papayas. I've never HAD a papaya before, so not only do I not know what they're supposed to look like, I don't know what they're supposed to taste like.

I'm not a big fan of tropical fruit. I don't like Mango, I don't care much for pomegranate (don't even know if that's tropical or not), about all I really like that comes from Hawaii is pineapple and coconut. Oh wait, I like kiwi, but I don't know where that comes from. I'll try anything, and I'll eat it, but most of it isn't really my "thing."

I LOVE citrus. It's a shame really, because it really isn't all that good for you. But whatever...

Anyway, they had these huge (like almost the size of a bowling ball pin) THINGS that I found out were papayas, and I figured that if I could get all that fruit for my birds for $2, why not? And if I picked a bad one or they didn't like it?? What have I lost?? Less than most people in the U.S. spend on a cuppa joe in the mornings. So, I have a yellowish-greenish kinda moderately firm bowling-ball pin that doesn't smell like anything, sitting next to the delicious pineapple (that I can't WAIT to cut into) on my kitchen counter.

Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? E667e937-1

Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 8:18 pm

Mmmmmm!! I would say, leave it overnight on your counter then murder the damn fruit tomorrow Smile
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 9:16 pm

Yes, I was serious! And it is very tasty. Even if I did misspell "Hawaiian".

GlassOnion wrote:
Mmmmmm!! I would say, leave it overnight on your counter then murder the damn fruit tomorrow Smile

I concur. Or even a few days, although you can't really tell by appearance, it looks on the under-ripe side. Of course, since it's huge, if you don't like it, your birds will turn out not to like it either... in which case I'll be right over!

You don't even like passion fruit? How can you live? And ripe mango I love, although it's a PITA to prep and if it's green it's pretty astringent. Ripe it's like a peach only better. Papaya, to me, is a cooler flavor than mango, and a less sharp sour flavor than pineapple, maybe kind of like cantaloupe but less overtly sweet with a kind of pleasant muskiness. I'm not helping am I?
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 9:50 pm

I only like fresh pineapple. I was in heaven in Mexico.

I love trying new fruits.

My local grocery store always has some obscure fruit.

Passionfruit, Star fruit, Pomegranate, dragonfruit, prickly pear...

Too bad my family hates trying new things.

I love just sitting down with a giant dragonfruit and munching down on it. It's like a mixture between watermelon and kiwi. Plus, it's beautiful.

And when pomegranates are in season, I'll buy several of them, get a big bowl with water, and pick out all the seed thingys. I save them and put 'em on whatever I'm having.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 12:37 am

My husband and son could buy mango by the truckload. He could eat two or three a day. I've tasted it and was underwhelmed. The fids like it though. They always gang up on him when they see him eating one. Smile

And Passion fruit? I just Googled it, you don't eat it do you? Everything I saw was just about the juice, is that right? Cause if I'm supposed to eat it, forget it! LOL!

Dragon fruit I've never heard of, and star fruit I've seen but never tried. I tried to get my husband to buy one a few months ago but he wouldn't pay the $$$ for it. LOL I'm like you zaza, I'm all for trying new things, every once in a while I even like them!

Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 1:42 am

I'm very adventurous when it comes down to food. Smile I've tried dragonfruit, but it tasted like kiwi that's been drained of all flavour. I want to try passionfruit one day, passionfruit scented products always smell so good!!
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 1:20 pm

I remember the first time I tried passionfruit. I opened it up, not knowing what was inside, and was surprised to find it looked like there was frogs eggs in it.

It had the texture of jello, with a crunchy seed inside. Very fruity and delicious.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 2:10 pm

So how do you eat it? Do you just... eat it? Seeds and all? (Trying to wrap my head around eating the yick that I saw in the photos.)
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 2:15 pm

The most usual behavior is to scoop out the seeds and cut away the peel. Then you can dice, or slice and drizzle with lime. Very tasty!

The seeds are edible and can be used in marinades and dressings or eaten with the fruit, but they are pretty bitter and peppery. They are high in papain, a degestive enzyme used in meat tenderizers, which is also present in the fruit.
Back to top Go down
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

My Birds : (R) denotes rescue birds
(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

Merlin, Gracie and Mercie my little Jack Yappers
44 chickens and 2 turkeys

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 4:46 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
The most usual behavior is to scoop out the seeds and cut away the peel. Then you can dice, or slice and drizzle with lime. Very tasty!

The seeds are edible and can be used in marinades and dressings or eaten with the fruit, but they are pretty bitter and peppery. They are high in papain, a degestive enzyme used in meat tenderizers, which is also present in the fruit.
As usual you are quite right.
If you like things just a little different you can save just a bit of the fruit pound the seeds,(just enough to crack them) mix with just a bit of EVO and add a small amount of your faverite all around spice marinade your meat or veggies and cook on the grill.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 10:49 pm

I'm really anxious to cut into this papaya!!!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 12:01 am

Oh, passionfruit you eat like pomegranete basically. Scoop out the seeds and either eat them whole or press the juice out and use that. They tend to be super expensive when I can get them so I usually use the juice in a custard or mousse or something like that. Very perfumey and exotic. In Hawaii it's also called Lilikoi.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 1:28 am

What I do, is buy papaya, some strawberries, banana, yogurt(plain or vanilla), sugar without sugar, and milk without milk(lactose free). I peel the seeds of papaya and cut all fruits on pieces, then mix everything and blend it.
There is no better breakfast!
Banana I use not for flavor, but to not have diarrhea after that mix Wink
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 2:37 am

Seriously, when are passion fruit in season?

y'all are making me really curious now!

And I really never had any idea that I'd get more than 3-4 responses out of a request for papaya help! LOLOL! And here I am on Page 2!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 8:43 am

Mmmmmm, passionfruit. *drool*

Not a big papaya fan, or mango. Mangos smell like cat pee to me. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 3:25 pm

Julsiebean wrote:

Not a big papaya fan, or mango. Mangos smell like cat pee to me. Shocked
My Mango smell feathers Roz Wink
No seriously, my bf gave me idea for making those fruit cocktails(not cockatiels). He is Mexican, so those of you being in Mexico know, that you can buy fresh fruit blend in there almost everywhere.
And when you use skim milk and low-fat yogurt, it's good for a diet, a lot of fiber!
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 7:24 pm

I have a passion fruit vine and I get at least three or four passionfruits each year but I don't really know when they're ripe or how to eat them so I just play with the the guts (it's more fun than you might think!) and give them to Rainbow sometimes... besides I just got the plant for it's flowers. they're wonky! anyone know if I can give the flowers to rainbow to snack on? she likes to nibble on nasturtium and rose petals from the yard

heres what it looks like (not my photo)
Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? Passion-fruit
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 9:31 pm

Okey dokey!!! I butchered the Papaya today!!!

Sad Didn't like it so much. Actually, I didn't like it or dislike it... it didn't have much taste at all. I tasted the seeds though, and I can sure see how they'd be good on salad, or probably on a ham in place of cloves... I don't eat ham anymore, but I hate the cloves/ham smell. I've ALWAYS chosen my seasonings by scent, so I can imagine what the ham/papaya seed combo would taste like. Would probably be really good.

Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 10:54 pm

If it was really bland, it might not have been quite ripe. But they aren't a big punchy flavor.

Aside from salt, I don't think you can go wrong choosing seasonings by scent... so much of taste is scent anyway.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 11:41 pm

JJ really liked it.

Was it Papaya y'all said to put lime on? scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?   Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can someone tell me how to choose a ripe papaya? Quick?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next