Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AH!! Bucky just flew!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

AH!! Bucky just flew!!! Empty
PostSubject: AH!! Bucky just flew!!!   AH!! Bucky just flew!!! EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 11:51 pm

AGGHH!! I've known that my Bucky baby has been growing in some of his flight feathers... he has one full feather, one 3/4 feather, and one feather about half-way out of it's sheath on each side. So - three feathers on each side. The three outermost feathers on each wing are still sticks (where he's chewed them), it's the next three that have come in on each side.

Anyway, he was up in my room with me this evening on my shoulder, and I reached out for something - apparently startling him. He jumped and flew about 7-8 feet to the window-sill!!! That's the first time he's flown away from something and not flown DOWN. He was able to maintain his altitude that far!

When he landed over there, he looked over at me and gave a little sound that sounded half-way between a quack and the word "what?" I burst out laughing! It was almost like he looked at me and said, "What happened mom? How'd I get over here?" I called him to me but he just sat there and squawked at me... so I went and picked him up. It was pretty funny - and cool too!!!

Last edited by VickiNumbers on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: AH!! Bucky just flew!!!   AH!! Bucky just flew!!! EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 12:07 am

Wweeee!!! It's amazing what they can do when they're motivated!!

When I went up to PA the first thing I did was get out of the car and walk across my driveway, up onto my porch, and hand Yoshi to my waiting mom. The first thing out of her mouth was "Can he fly?" and I immediately replied "No, he's clipped, he's not going anywhere." Thumbs-up

So right after saying that, my brother let the dogs out, who were of course excited to see me, and got all jumpy and barking. Well Yoshi must have been startled because he flew down from the porch, across our front yard, ACROSS the driveway, and into a set of hedges on the other side. All in all maybe 30 or 40 feet. I was never nervous at any point because I knew the dogs would leave him alone and we're in the middle of nowhere away from the road, so it's not like he could escape too far. It was definitely impressive, though!! wee
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: AH!! Bucky just flew!!!   AH!! Bucky just flew!!! EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 12:28 am

OMG! That's a long ways for a big bird to fly when clipped isn't it? I've heard of small birds doing that, but never one of the bigger birds! LOL!

Bucky's flown about 15-20 ft recently, but always on a downward slope. He's never flown from point A to point B which are at about the same height. I don't know if he was aiming for the window sill or if he was flying and just landed there, but whichever it was, it was effective. Just now, I was going to tuck him in, and he flew off my hand toward his cage. Another 8 ft flight. This time he wasn't startled, he just wanted to go to his room! He started off in a straight line and turned in the air to get to his cage. (I know that shouldn't be a big deal, but to the best of my knowledge, he's never flown before.)

It's really amazing the difference a few feathers can make. I'm so excited for him!!
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: AH!! Bucky just flew!!!   AH!! Bucky just flew!!! EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:36 am

wee
Be aware, if he did it once, he may repeat it now. I'm glad Bucky experienced that feeling.
Yoshi really make a big distance as for big bird. But you know, what's funny? Chico fly first time, when she saw birds in the pet store- similar! Are they scared of dogs, when they are young?
The most weird it is to me, that Chico is walking on my bf's dog, absolutely no fear thinking
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: AH!! Bucky just flew!!!   AH!! Bucky just flew!!! EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:46 am

Margaret wrote:
wee
Be aware, if he did it once, he may repeat it now.
I certainly hope he does!!!
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: AH!! Bucky just flew!!!   AH!! Bucky just flew!!! EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 8:51 am

VickiNumbers wrote:
Margaret wrote:
AH!! Bucky just flew!!! 1270972548
Be aware, if he did it once, he may repeat it now.
I certainly hope he does!!!
Same! I'm hoping this gives him the confidence to start being able to train for recall. And yes, it was a huge distance for a bigger bird, which is why I was really really impressed. He does maybe have only 4(?) primaries clipped (you can see his wing stretched out in my gallery) and the BEGINNING of his flight was downhill, coming off the porch, but he kept level for another 20/25 feet or so and then sloped upward to land in the top of the hedges, which are maybe 8 or 9 feet tall. It was so fun to watch!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: AH!! Bucky just flew!!!   AH!! Bucky just flew!!! EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Yeah Bucky !!!! Now you can feed him "fat" food because he fly off those extra calories. wee
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: AH!! Bucky just flew!!!   AH!! Bucky just flew!!! EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 8:40 pm

henpecked wrote:
Yeah Bucky !!!! Now you can feed him "fat" food because he fly off those extra calories. wee
Except he doesn't really realize he can fly whenever he wants to yet... (which may not be a bad thing at this point, we're still working on the harnessing bit! LOL!). He's still only flying "on occasion," and hasn't really flown since I made the original post. Sad But it's ok, it'll come, I'm quite certain!
Back to top Go down
Fallen_Parakeet
Cockatiel
Fallen_Parakeet

My Birds : Pete (my parakeet)

PostSubject: Re: AH!! Bucky just flew!!!   AH!! Bucky just flew!!! EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 12:23 am

VickiNumbers wrote:
AGGHH!! I've known that my Bucky baby has been growing in some of his flight feathers... he has one full feather, one 3/4 feather, and one feather about half-way out of it's sheath on each side. So - three feathers on each side. The three outermost feathers on each wing are still sticks (where he's chewed them), it's the next three that have come in on each side.

Anyway, he was up in my room with me this evening on my shoulder, and I reached out for something - apparently startling him. He jumped and flew about 7-8 feet to the window-sill!!! That's the first time he's flown away from something and not flown DOWN. He was able to maintain his altitude that far!

When he landed over there, he looked over at me and gave a little sound that sounded half-way between a quack and the word "what?" I burst out laughing! It was almost like he looked at me and said, "What happened mom? How'd I get over here?" I called him to me but he just sat there and squawked at me... so I went and picked him up. It was pretty funny - and cool too!!!
Thats awesome! I cant wait till pete's flight feathers grow in Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AH!! Bucky just flew!!!   AH!! Bucky just flew!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

AH!! Bucky just flew!!!
Page 1 of 1