Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what is it with fresh washing?

Go down 
+2
VickiNumbers
idlepirate
6 posters
AuthorMessage
idlepirate
Lovebird
idlepirate

My Birds : Lorenzo - Blue Throat Conure

what is it with fresh washing? Empty
PostSubject: what is it with fresh washing?   what is it with fresh washing? EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 4:30 pm

Do any of your birds also have this obsession with fresh washing (or laundry as they say in some places Wink )
Seriously Lorenzo sees me come into the room with fresh things out of the machine that are still damp, he just wants to chew on every single item. i hung up 2 towels over my wardrobe doors and hell spend all evening hoping from one towel to the next chewing on them.
also his foodbowl cloth (no chemicals used, just plain water to wash out his bowls in the morning), when he sees it hell pick it up and chew on it when its damp.
Ill film it sometime. thinking of getting him a little facecloth and wetting it and tying it on his cage if theres a chance i can keep him occupied what is it with fresh washing? 932634153

what is it with fresh washing? 1468329303
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bluethroatconure?feature=mhee
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: what is it with fresh washing?   what is it with fresh washing? EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 4:45 pm

I don't think I've noticed any of my birds doing that. JJ goes crazy for ice-cubes floating in drinks and frost or condensation that accumulates on the outside of cups, but that's about it. (Unless you count her wanting to bathe in any running faucet, but that's not exactly the same thing.) I've not noticed the other two doing anything like that. Hmm... I'll be interested to hear what others have to say!

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
idlepirate
Lovebird
idlepirate

PostSubject: Re: what is it with fresh washing?   what is it with fresh washing? EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Would be good to know:) don't know if it's actually a good thing or if there's a danger. He saw my basket today and immediately just jumped ontop to control what's his and what i can hang to the side.
dry towels dont have the same effect hehe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what is it with fresh washing?   what is it with fresh washing? EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Sparrow, my GCC goes wild for anything wet/damp and also has the sweaty cold drink fetish. I think conures just like wet stuff!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: what is it with fresh washing?   what is it with fresh washing? EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Scooter has to get into any kind of drink I may have, from martini to coffee. And he has developed a great joy for burrowing under the paper in his playtop tray. I think a wash fetish is mostly harmless but I'd watch out for long hanging strings and be careful with any final-rinse or dryer treatments. Just be careful he can't get mixed up in the washing and wind up folded into a drawer or tossed in the wash! Does he burrow into it, or just hang out on top of it? If he's burrowing, it may be a nesting behavior, which I'm pretty sure is the root of Scooters under-the-papers thing.
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: what is it with fresh washing?   what is it with fresh washing? EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 1:18 am

Merlin is into every drink he can find as well (the lush!). Strangely though, he goes nuts for freshly folded laundry, especially towels!
Back to top Go down
Jan
Parrotlet
Jan

My Birds : Sputnik - Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: what is it with fresh washing?   what is it with fresh washing? EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 11:02 am

I think there's potential here for a great fabric softener commercial here... Laughing
Back to top Go down
idlepirate
Lovebird
idlepirate

PostSubject: Re: what is it with fresh washing?   what is it with fresh washing? EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Jan wrote:
I think there's potential here for a great fabric softener commercial here... Laughing
There's a great idea....anyone work for a marketing company? couple of conures to test which brand of detergent they prefer Cool Cool

RogerP wrote:
he goes nuts for freshly folded laundry, especially towels!
yes towels is lorenzos main thing!towels towels towels hehehe.

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Does he burrow into it, or just hang out on top of it? If he's
burrowing, it may be a nesting behavior, which I'm pretty sure is the
root of Scooters under-the-papers thing.
Nah he just likes to sit ontop of them when they are hanging and chew the life out of them. esspecially coz Im a therapist so i have like 10towels to wash at once and they are all over the place so he just goes nuts for them.

Glad to know it's not just him, im guessing its like catnip for conures haha
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: what is it with fresh washing?   what is it with fresh washing? EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 7:53 pm

I love it when the bed sheets come right out of the dryer. Nothing feels better than going to sleep in warm blankets Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what is it with fresh washing?   what is it with fresh washing? Empty

Back to top Go down

what is it with fresh washing?
Page 1 of 1