Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini?

Go down 
+2
RogerP
kaeladedah
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini? Empty
PostSubject: Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini?   Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini? EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 11:41 pm

It seems for the past few nights when I put the birds to bed, Cheney Bird decides he is not ready for bed and breaks out of his cage. He wants to cuddle for a little bit, so when he gets out of the cage, he pokes his head out under the sheet and purrs.

Does anyone else have a GCC (or any other bird) that does this?
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini?   Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 12:41 am

Merlin managed to sneak out the first couple of nights he came home, but I think it was my fault for not closing the food and water doors well enough, he doesn't escape anymore (though I'm sure he still tries).
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini?   Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 12:44 am

RogerP wrote:
Merlin managed to sneak out the first couple of nights he came home, but I think it was my fault for not closing the food and water doors well enough, he doesn't escape anymore (though I'm sure he still tries).

Cheney Bird can unscrew the pear links for toys that I put on the doors. It's not much of a problem until he can see light, then he breaks out for super fun play time.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini?   Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 2:00 am

Scooter actually seems to get like an overtired kid at bedtime... he's agitated but not really using brain cells to escape (plus the spring latches on his cage are beyond his strength.)

Our escape artist is Scotty, whose feeder doors are subject to user error... he'll push his way out while I'm still removing the cup for one thing! And should I not get the bolt "home" afteward, he'll be hanging on the cagetop when we come home. He knows as soon as he pushes out, he goes right back in, but he steps right up and offers me a kiss anyway. Silly bird.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini?   Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 8:43 am

I've had to rig and modify all the cages to keep Sparrow in. He is a mess!
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini?   Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 6:59 pm

There are evenings/nights that I have to force budgies to go to their cage Sad Little cute Monsters! Lately Chico is hanging on her "sombrero" from $store outside the cage and I have to put her in.
I don't want to even imagine that Lucky will start doing the same...
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini?   Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 7:00 pm

Ah, the good ol' days of buying padlocks in multipacks. . .
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini?   Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini? EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 7:15 pm

I just took the bottom grate out to go wash it outside and rainbow stayed in the cage the entire time even though it would have been sooo easy just to climb out the bottom to freedom...! She was even making her "I want to come out" noises and body language combo when I reentered the house. No houdinis in this house, it appears... I literally have to leave the food doors unlatched and slightly open for her to figure out how to get out (which happened once while I was at school. My dad was very surprised to find rainbow happily preening on top of her cage. She even closed the food door after her so when my dad put her away she got out again.)

Quote :
Ah, the good ol' days of buying padlocks in multipacks. . .

Roz
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini?   Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini? EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 7:31 pm

moa wrote:
I just took the bottom grate out to go wash it outside and rainbow stayed in the cage the entire time even though it would have been sooo easy just to climb out the bottom to freedom...! She was even making her "I want to come out" noises and body language combo when I reentered the house.

If the grate is out of Cheney Bird's cage, he comes right on out. If he feels I did not wake up soon enough to let him out, he lets himself out and flies to my bed where he then perches on my head until I wake up. He lets himself out if he feels I've put him to bed too early.

A slightly opened door would be more than an invitation for him to let himself out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini?   Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini? Empty

Back to top Go down

Green Cheeks... Conure or Houdini?
Page 1 of 1