Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven

Go down 
+2
dusty
ScooterNScotty
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven Empty
PostSubject: Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven   Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 5:05 pm

So, I'm home with the tag end of mild food poisoning, and since it is a very mild day I decided to bite the bullet and run the oven self clean cycle. I had convinced myself a while back that any teflon in the coating would have burned out on the first couple of cycles way before we had birds. So I opened all the windows, turned on all thr vent fans and ceiling fans, ands closed myself in with the birds.

Started to smell it in there, freaked out and now we are all out on the front porch. They both look puzzled, but I think they are fine. I wonder if I'll ever stop worrying so much?

I'm also kind of wondering why there is a helicopter circling overhead? Hope it's the freeway and not an escaped lunatic!
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven   Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 5:30 pm

you do seem to worry a lot...lol

dusty
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven   Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 5:56 pm

Well I was kidding about thr copter, although I used to live in a neighborhoods where you didn't go out if one was circling. Here it's usually triassic or a wildfire.

The oven really did worry me. I often feel the birds are so fragile, and so many people are much more cautious than I am.

That would be traffic. Not triassic. Gotta love the spell cheever. Thing is still there, been going almost three hours.hY
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven   Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 5:59 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
So, I'm home with the tag end of mild food poisoning, and since it is a very mild day I decided to bite the bullet and run the oven self clean cycle. I had convinced myself a while back that any teflon in the coating would have burned out on the first couple of cycles way before we had birds. So I opened all the windows, turned on all thr vent fans and ceiling fans, ands closed myself in with the birds.

Started to smell it in there, freaked out and now we are all out on the front porch. They both look puzzled, but I think they are fine. I wonder if I'll ever stop worrying so much?

I'm also kind of wondering why there is a helicopter circling overhead? Hope it's the freeway and not an escaped lunatic!
I dunno. I dunno if you're overly paranoid. I'd freak, too, if/when I smell stuff. I don't remember, but I don't think it's teflon that's an issue with self-cleaning ovens. It's something else. I'll use the spray oven cleaner which is pretty nasty stuff. I move all the birds out of the room, open the doors and windows, have fans blowing out the windows.

What are you doing cleaning when you're food poisoned?!
You're supposed to lay in bed and make puppy eyes at Bill to serve you!
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven   Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 7:04 pm

Oh on an intellectual level I have the whole thing analyzed, it's just that I don't have that much practical experience. Hence the freakout. affraid

I think the deal with self-cleaning ovens is twofold -- one is that coatings on heating elements and oven parts may outgas, and I the manufacturer told me that my particular model does contain teflon. The second is that it's basically a big fire, burning off the food and grease, and the smoke from that is inherently an irritant and to be avoided. I figured the outgassing would have done most of its thing in the first couple of uses. Specifically the Teflon should not have survived at those temperatures which are WAY higher than what we usually worry about with stovetop use. So that left "normal combustion" which I figured was an issue of degree of exposure, not instant death, so it seemed safe enough to open all the windows, close off the bird room and fire it up, and move the birds outside if necessary. In practice, once I started to smell it, I got emotional about it. But in fact, it's done doing its thing, everybody is fine, the house is aired out, and we're back in residence.

As for being sick... I'm fine as long as I don't eat. I've just had a bit of lunch and we'll see how that goes... cleaning via pushing a button seemed benign enough.... c'est la guerre!

The puppy eyes don't work very well around here except when he uses them...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven   Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Your spose to clean your oven??Shocked
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven   Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 9:49 pm

Oven?? is that the thing you store the big pots in? Oh you just don't know about me and helicopters,too much time poaching fish in S. Fla.,Know just how the North Vietnamese felt during the Viet Nam War. I can hear those blades thumping miles away.Boats weren't made to out run helicopters equipped with FLIR. BTW those spotlights aren't just bright, they're hot! PS i guess it's OK to add the next verse to my signature now.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven   Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 11:46 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
Your spose to clean your oven??Shocked
Only if you want your security deposit back. If you own, then just bug the hubs every few years for a new one. Wink

henpecked wrote:
Oven?? is that the thing you store the big pots in?
No, that's the dishwasher. . . If you're an immigrant like my parents and don't know how to use a dishwasher. . .
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven   Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 9:30 am

Roz, that made me LOL on both accounts!!!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven   Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 5:14 pm

Kaylayuh

LOL!
I love you all!
You make me laugh...
And you make me feel so ...

NORMAL!
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven   Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 1:54 am

VickiNumbers wrote:
Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven 3181567798

LOL!
I love you all!
You make me laugh...
And you make me feel so ...

NORMAL!

What she said! Paradise rocks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven   Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven Empty

Back to top Go down

Freaking myself out -, self cleaning oven
Page 1 of 1