Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
coral
Sun Conure
coral

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies? Empty
PostSubject: from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies?   from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 12:36 pm

As most of you know mikko will be here tomorrow and I wanted to know your opinions on how to transition her to eat pellets and food that's good for her instead of junk food and only seeds? How do you go about doing this?
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies?   from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 12:49 pm

I'd leave her on her normal diet for now, newhome is enough changes for now. Maybe you can start by giving her pellets as a treat and see if you can find some she'll eat, maybe request some samples. I'd give them to her one at a time, from your hand, be sure to act as if they're special and extra good, of course praises won't hurt either.We've had good luck with showing her the bowl of pellets but only giving her one or two at a time,leave her wanting more.( like people, they really want what they can't have).I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to go into this more as she gets more comfortable in your home.For now i'd keep changes to a minimum.
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure
coral

PostSubject: Re: from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies?   from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Okay which type of pellets should I try? I have the peanut, veggie, andfruit zupreem then o have medium size roudybush should I get any other ones?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies?   from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 1:48 pm

I leave a separate bowl of just pellets in with most of my birds. Sooner or later they all try the pellets. I've had more success with getting them to eat pellets this way than to mix pellets in with their seed mix (although I do that too just in case they want to eat it out of their seed mix).

I'm not brand-loyal when it comes to pellets so most of my birds eat whatever pellet happens to be in their bowls. I do notice with conure size-up parrots, they seem to prefer "larger" parrot-size pellets over smaller pellets. I mix smaller tiel sized pellets with parrot sized pellets and they usually eat the larger pellets first, even of the same brand (I'm assuming same brand, same taste, just different size). I've tried Harrison's, Roudybush, Pretty Bird, Kaytee, Zupreem natural, Zupreem fruit, Oven Fresh Bites (does that count as pellets?). My birds' favorites seem to be Pretty Bird, Zupreem (both flavors) and Roudybush. I was surprised about the Roudybush as it looks like fish food to me and smells like bubble gum, but they seemed to love that best/right away. Right now they're on Zupreem natural just because that's what I could buy at a good price.

As for fresh foods, I put that on top of the seed and have had success with them eating/tasting fresh foods as it ends up covering/tainting the seed.

I agree w/ Capt - leave her on her normal diet for several weeks until she adjusts to her new home. I suppose you can put a bowl of pellets in there for her to look at, though.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies?   from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 3:30 pm

I don't really have anything to add. Nutrition is a long-term proposition, so letting her go another month on the existing diet won't do a lot of additional "harm". You can start offering fresh food right away, but I definitely wouldn't make hard attempts to convert to a pellet diet right away.
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure
coral

PostSubject: Re: from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies?   from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Can I mix on the peanut pellets with her seeds from the beginning or no? I can pit a separate bowl in for pellets and just have a variety of different pellets for her to try if that better. Ans i'll introduce her to fresh foods in the first couple days because she eats whatever her owner eats so if I eat healthy things infront of her maybe she'll eat it to?
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies?   from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 6:07 pm

I'd start with what she's used to especially since she's a problem child. You could try mixing the pellets in early on, but you'll have to watch carefully to see if she's eating with them there -- if you can't handle her enough to weigh her regularly, you might want to wait because it can be hard to tell if seeds are actually eaten since a pile of empty hulls looks much the same as a pile of seeds.l
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies?   from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies? Empty

Back to top Go down

from seeds and junk food to pellets and veggies?
Page 1 of 1