Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Last straw...

Go down 
+4
VickiNumbers
kaeladedah
RogerP
Vikki
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

Last straw... Empty
PostSubject: Last straw...   Last straw... EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 3:06 pm

So…. I’m at my wits end with work and realize I need to find a new job very soon before I do something drastic and just lose my shit and walk. My boss is a verbally abusive, demeaning bully who puffs himself up as some sort of purchasing genius, takes credit for everything we do and then when something goes wrong, blames us for being incompetent morons. My company was bought out four months ago and things have been getting worse because now he’s strutting around like a peacock trying to get their attention about how great he is while being an absolute nasty bastard to the rest of us. It was so bad this week that our senior buyer spent the day in her office crying and two other buyers wouldn’t come out of their office because they just couldn’t deal with him. This has been going on for a few years now and just getting exponentially worse. Several people have quit or been fired when they have complained. We’ve even gotten together as a group and went to his boss with our concerns and were told we were a bunch of “spoiled, whining babies”.

The last two people to leave went to HR with their complaints only to have HR turn around and tell my boss everything that was said, which of course made him an even bigger jerk and harder to deal with. My last friend to leave showed me a copy of her resignation letter, which spelled everything out very fairly and not in an immature tone and nothing was done. She forwarded it to the labor board and hasn’t heard anything.

This morning was the last straw for me. He sent an email out mentioning that he was going to consider changing a form process and wanted feedback. When I responded and said the process couldn’t change because it would screw with another process I have in place and then went back and forth six times trying to explain to him why it would be bad, he literally said to me “You’re blowing this out of proportion, it’s a damn form. I’m changing it so man up and deal.” Of course, when my other processes start to fail because of this change, he’ll ream me for not making him see my initial point. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I don’t make enough money for this kind of unethical, unprofessional treatment and refuse to let someone treat me as though I’m one of their children. Problem is, until I find a job, I’m stuck here. We have no recourse. No one we can talk to here that will do anything about him, so until I find a job, my days here will be highly stressful and depressing….
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

Last straw... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last straw...   Last straw... EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 3:47 pm

Not sure what I can say that will help here, sorry. My wife had an almost identical experience and just recently, after 10 years, left the company for a new job. She had to take a pay cut in the short term to get out, but we are making do to preserve her sanity. You are in a high stress environment right now.

I will never understand how people who put themselves ahead of everyone else seem to get promoted to positions of authority. The only thing you can hope for with this guy is that the new owners will see him for the jerk that he is and make a change. Barring that, start sending out your resume.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. Sending positive thoughts and wishes your way.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

Last straw... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last straw...   Last straw... EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks. I often wonder the same myself, how such demeaning, heartless people get anywhere. I also don't understand that on a whole, most of the other managers hate him and think he's an ass and yet.... he's still here. I've been here 5 yrs and actually love my job and my co-workers. He just makes it an impossible environment to work in. I feel nauseous every morning having to come here and can't wait to get home.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Last straw... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last straw...   Last straw... EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Is there a way you can work from home?
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

Last straw... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last straw...   Last straw... EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Yes...with his permission which he refuses to give
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

Last straw... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last straw...   Last straw... EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm soooo sorry. I experienced something similar and didn't get out in time and ended up walking out in tears one day. Fortunately it wasn't my boss, and as usual there were other things involved, but I know how it feels to be miserable at work. I wish I could offer more than I virtual hug, but that's the best I can do. Sad

Hug2

Edit: Oh yeah, I'll be happy to proof your resume for you!
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

Last straw... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last straw...   Last straw... EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:47 pm

i'm not one to cry publicly....but my nerve is gone and the thought if walking out us a strong one. I have no savings so I can't but to me its almost worth it.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Last straw... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last straw...   Last straw... EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:54 pm

If it's a hostile workplace and you can substantiate your claims with documentation, you may qualify for unemployment compensation.

BTW - The powerball jackpot tonight is $105,000,000 cash value.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Last straw... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last straw...   Last straw... EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Well, I'm also in the unhappy-at-work camp these days, albeit for different reasons.

While you're fixing up the resume and figuring out where you can go from here, my advice is to do the best you can to make things work well -- if you need to revise those processes, do it. The best advice when looking for a new job is always to do the best job possible at your existing job. Which is a lot easier said than done, I know. Also try not to take him personally. He's a jerk, that's how he behaves, and it's not something you have any control over. Let go of the stuff you can't control and try to take control of what you can. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

Last straw... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last straw...   Last straw... EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 12:34 pm

The exact same thing happened with me with the owner of the pet insurance company I worked for back in the day. Our sales manager passed away suddenly & therefore the Director/owner tooted his own horn, swore at us, was the most degrading person I ever worked with, etc.

I was lucky that I was only there for about 4 months after he took over our department and I had a friend who worked for a large company that was hiring.

Just breathe - refresh your resume & send it out to everywhere that is (or isn't) hiring - it WILL get better once you leave. Unfortunately if the person causing all the chaos is high enough up, they would rather people quit than realize their ways and smarten up.

*hugs* to you - your new adventure will start soon!
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

Last straw... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last straw...   Last straw... EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 1:12 pm

get the resumes out...you have to grin and bear it...smile a lot at work just to piss him off....lol

Hug2 and a rose to make you feel better @-->----

dusty
Back to top Go down
wyspur
Parrotlet
wyspur

My Birds : 7 parakeets, 6 tiels, and two crazy Caiques
wyspurcreations is a sanctuary for small birds with special needs.

Last straw... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last straw...   Last straw... EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 6:25 pm

Sad to hear. He must be my x-boss's twin. She is a sociopath and made my time at work miserable every day I was there. Then she lied to the Store Manager and he told her to fire me. What ever you do, NEVER work for the WalMart Company. They supported her and not me or any other associates they hire. Some kid told me that they look for things to fire ya for the day they hire ya. He was right about that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wyspurcreations.com
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

Last straw... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last straw...   Last straw... EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Thank you all for your advice and for the rose Smile I have started to send out resumes and hope something will come up soon. Its just a shame that mgmt gets away with crap like this anywhere. People work hard and give a lot of their time so someone else can get rich by them. Its disgusting that even after years of unwavering loyalty and service, we're still considered disposable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Last straw... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last straw...   Last straw... Empty

Back to top Go down

Last straw...
Page 1 of 1