Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another great article

Go down 
+3
VickiNumbers
ScooterNScotty
Vikki
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

Another great article Empty
PostSubject: Another great article   Another great article EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 10:33 pm

This time from the NJ Star-Ledger, which is a big paper and will hopefully bring insome new blood in the way of volunteers...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/11/friends_of_a_feather_blairstow.html

Last edited by Vikki on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Another great article   Another great article EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Cool! Love the cuddly 'too picture.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Another great article   Another great article EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 10:44 pm

I do too. They both look so cuddly, don't they? Smile
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Another great article   Another great article EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 1:57 am

There are comments people posted at the end and I am fighting not to respond to the one who went off about birds pluck because they aren't allowed to fly. I really hate know it alls who don't know it all and make a perfectly good situation bad.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Another great article   Another great article EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 12:09 am

Umm, Before I saw that you weren't responding... I responded. Sad

Sorry. The guy wasn't very smart.

He said:

Corrections: (1) photo — it's spelled Moluccan. (2) photo — they're called blue and GOLD macaws. Captive parrots are predisposed to plucking their feathers because it's a neurotic condition that stems from being denied the ability to flight, forage, fly, and mate. These are wild animals that have evolved to thrive in tropical jungles. When all their behavioral and mating instincts are suppressed by being caged for life, they develop severe neurotic conditions such as feather picking and other OCD behaviors. Avian veterinarians have even resorted to using Thorazine! In fact, the best treatment is to release them back to the tropical jungle where they belong.

In any event it's rare to see even a domesticated blue and gold macaw with such a severe feather condition. The #1 bird for feather picking problems is an African Grey. All parrots need to be kept in warm, humid conditions — essentially a tropical jungle. But instead, stupid owners keep them in their homes at room temperature 68 degrees with 40% indoor humidity, which exacerbates any feather picking conditions. These birds like to be in an environment that is more similar to your bathroom during a hot shower than your living room.

So I said:

Sir:
While I appreciate your correcting the errors made by the editors (however nit-picky) as well as your attempt at providing further education regarding the plight of our avian friends, your comment misinforms and unfortunately, leaves room for nit-picking itself. As I prefer to avoid being petty, I'll address only the misinformation.

First, to say that, "Captive parrots are predisposed to plucking their feathers..." is incorrect. It's true that feather plucking is only seen in captive parrots but that fact does not make it a predisposition. That would be the same as saying that because ovarian cancer is only seen in women, all women are predisposed to ovarian cancer. Moreover, your assertion that the reasons for plucking are related the denial of "the ability to flight, forage, fly, and mate," is also suspect. There are many captive parrots who have not been denied these things, still have plucked. There are also birds who have been held "prisoner" in dirty cages barely larger than they are, subsisting on substandard food in a terrible high-stress environment, yet they appear to have never plucked a feather in their life.

Second and most importantly, your claim that, "the best treatment is to release them back to the tropical jungle where they belong" is not only wrong, it's dangerous, or to use your oft repeated word, stupid. Domesticated parrots have no more idea how to live in the wild than your Labrador Retriever. They have not been taught by their parents how to forage for food, what food is safe to eat, what sounds indicate danger, how to find a safe roost for the night, how to contact a flock, or any other of the hundreds of skills needed for a bird to survive in the wild. If a predator didn't kill the bird first, stress and starvation most certainly would.

As I said, I appreciate your attempt to expand on the information provided in the article but please be sure the information you provide is correct.

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Another great article   Another great article EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 12:39 am

Brava! You said exactly what I wanted to but didn't. Smile wee
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Another great article   Another great article EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 1:30 am

Awesome response Vicki, well said! Another great article 3909217443

And great article Vikki! Happy Thanksgiving my American friends!
Back to top Go down
Perch
Budgerigar
Perch

My Birds : Pickle the spoiled, Ecco the sweet, Merlyn the big, Arthur the brat, and Sebastian the loud

PostSubject: Re: Another great article   Another great article EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 12:51 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all Smile
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Another great article   Another great article EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 2:50 pm

A few months back I met someone with two full flighted AND FREE flighted (flown outdoors) umbrella toos. Both plucked their chests. One had a mutilation scab.

Happy Turkey Day!
Eat lots!
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Another great article   Another great article EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 2:59 pm

man oh man that guy was or is a jerk...good response and article

dusty
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Another great article   Another great article EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 11:43 am

I love when ignorant people cry and say we should let them loose because its more natural. I feel like saying "I will, as soon as you let your dog loose in the woods"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another great article   Another great article Empty

Back to top Go down

Another great article
Page 1 of 1