Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.

Go down 
+4
Margaret
zazanomore
ScooterNScotty
GlassOnion
8 posters
AuthorMessage
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. Empty
PostSubject: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 6:04 pm

As some of you know, we've been having issues with Apple and Spice. All Spice ever wants is to be with Apple and 'play' with him, and Apple's complete neglect to reciprocate these behaviours and rather run away only makes Spice more frustrated and miserable, which in return she takes out with aggression. Whenever I take Apple away, Spice becomes very upset and calls for him frantically. I've tried separating them and having separate out-of-cage hours; however, all it did was cause more stress with no positive change. All Spice wants is a friend or two of her own to hang out with, a home where she'd never be alone.

I've been dealing with this issue for months on end, and I had two options.

A) Find Spice a cage mate. This is what I had planned to do at first, but I'm aware that this scenario would mean two fully flighted, basically un-handleable Budgies. Right now, Spice has a whole room with an open cage door, and is pretty tame, so I have a pretty good control over her and her safety. On the other hand, if I had TWO, they'd be a lot flightier and harder to manage. Now, this wouldn't be such a problem where I live now but in a year or so, we plan to move into a *small* high rise apartment in the city, and I cannot guarantee that I can offer these tiny, flighty, super-fast moving birds their own room amongst the many windows that are 20 storeys above ground floor. Not that I would have wide-open windows with Apple, but I'm not comfortable with such tiny little feather balls zipping around my apartment when I have little to no control over them. And I am not willing to confine them both to a cage for life because I can't stand the practice, Budgies need to fly around and exercise.

B) This leads to another option. Rehome Spice. Luckily, I have found an amazing home where there are 3 other flighted Budgies with lots of toys, hanging gyms, and a SAFE out of cage flight hours, all taken care of by someone who ADORES Budgies and will look after my Spice just the way I have. This is a home where my little girl will never be alone and always have a flock to be a part of. Spice will be living with Alyssa (zazanomore) sometime in the new year. We're thinking that the move will happen around late Spring time considering several factors that would make that time frame optimal for the both of us.

I'm both very sad and very happy for this to happen. But I do have the next several months to make the most out of the time I have left with my little Spice. I love you

Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 6:26 pm

I'm really glad you were able to find a good solution! We all know that IS a good home. Do you think Apple will miss Spice after all?
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 6:37 pm

Yes, I do think that he'll miss having her around. But, he CANNOT eat, or play, or hang out on my shoulder without Spice flying over and trying to budge in, which always ends up in his flapping around and away in retreat.

It really is my fault. I shouldn't have let her bond to him so hard in the first place. Sad
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 8:13 pm

I'm so excited to bring her into the flock. I had pictures of her up on my computer, and got Einstein (he is the only one that will actually sit still) and told him "that's your new sister!". He just looked at me and demanded cuddles. Razz

Tonight I went out and bought some brand new perches for her quarantine cage, one manzanita, and one rope. I also bought some extra bowls to go in their cage. There is now 2 water dishes, and 6 bowls for foods.

I know she's going to LOVE it here. She'll have so many friends, she won't know what to do with herself.

I feel so blessed to be her forever home Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. 4014162036
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 9:09 pm

Happy ending after all!
and nobody have to worry about Spice, when Zaza is taking her to her flock!
Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. 4014162036
I'm glad for all of you(including Spice)!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 9:33 pm

She couldn't better hands Smile
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 9:56 pm

Spice is going to a great home. Smile
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 1:17 am

Thanks everyone Smile

I'm totally going into nesting mode right now. No pun intended.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 1:25 am

It seems like a win-win-win-?win situation. The ?win was for GO, mainly because I know she's going to miss her little bit'o'Spice. But it sounds like the change is going to work out well for everyone else. The great news is that you KNOW Spice will be WELL loved in her new home! I don't know anyone who loves budgies as much as Zaza the Budgie-napper! suspect
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 3:06 am

Me = I love you tragedy I love you

I'm already so excited to hear future updates from zaza!!

Do we know what gender Madoc is yet?
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 9:12 pm

if I ever had to rehome a bird I know I'd want one of y'all to take him in Smile
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 1:03 am

GlassOnion wrote:
Me = I love you Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. 2643855592 I love you

I'm already so excited to hear future updates from zaza!!

Do we know what gender Madoc is yet?

I'm leaning on male. He's VERY vocal. But, I guess I'm just going to have to wait until his cere changes (or doesn't change) to find out for sure.

Him and Clyde have actually become really good friends. They're glued to each other and I've caught them regurgitating and preening each other.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 1:36 am

I wonder which one Spice will become BFF's with Very Happy
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 3:30 pm

Hopefully with everyone Very Happy
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 11:01 am

Glad Spice will be going with Alyssa - she rocks and her set up is rather amazing!

Apple & Spice can always keep in touch via Skype Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.   Spice will be going to a new home in the new year. Empty

Back to top Go down

Spice will be going to a new home in the new year.
Page 1 of 1