Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I've fallen in love...

Go down 
+4
Margaret
GlassOnion
VickiNumbers
zazanomore
8 posters
AuthorMessage
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

I've fallen in love... Empty
PostSubject: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 12:48 am

With the sweetest kakariki in the entire world...

Today I was dragged to the mall in the city. I ignored my family, and went straight for the pet store which always carries small parrots. I've seen Kakarikis in the store before, and in fact that's where I fell in love with the species.

The little guy was a hand fed baby. He was also the sweetest little guy. Talking to the workers, they told me that he was exceptionally tame for a kakariki. He loves people, and as you can see in the one video, has a bit of an obsession with finger nails. He let me pet him, and was completely enthralled with me. It looks like he is biting me, but he wasn't. It was like he was liking, or playing.

I didn't get his sounds on film, but he makes the sweetest "bebebe" sounds. it's so cute.

Something else I really noticed about him was he used his feet a lot like I would expect a large parrot to. He would pick stuff up. He kept on picking up pieces of dried fruit and placing them in his water dish, then when they were nice and wet, he would eat them. I've read before that they use their feet a lot, but I still surprised by it. His legs were also very long. Cute little bugger.

His beak is actually quite larger than a cockatiel's as well...But, he was as gentle as can be.

Too bad the little guy had a horrible wing clip and his tail feathers were a complete mess. I really felt bad for him. I mean, he's a pet store bird. He's going to probably end up as someone's Christmas gift. I've done research on them, and they aren't as simple to take care of as a budgie or cockatiel (not that they are easy to care for, just in perspective of all parrots). They really do need special care and special needs. they are natural born acrobats. I've read before that it would be a crime to clip a kakarikis wings because of their love for flying. They aren't as social as other birds either. They need a lot of space, a nice big flight cage. They are also trouble makers. They will get into everything and destroy it.

It broke my heart leaving him. He was beautiful, smart and affectionate. I actually spent 2 hours interacting with him. I mean, he looked at me with the same eyes that Einstein does. That look of adoration...I really wish I could of brought him home with me. We 'clicked'. I didn't get to handle Einstein until after I brought him home, and the budgies weren't tame. But this was that spark.

I tried to get the breeder information from the store, but they said that the breeder only supplies to them.

*sigh*
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 1:05 am

Oh man, I'm so sorry. I know it has to really stink leaving a bebe that you feel the *spark* with - especially when you're leaving him in a pet store at the mall not knowing if the people there will be careful about who they send him home with. Hug2 I wish we could take home all of the ones we fall in love with. If we could, Sam would be here with me today... even if it meant I had to use a spare room as a cage for him. I haven't given up though because I really love him and I know that when the time is right he'll come home with me. When the time is right for you, you'll have your bebebe bird. Smile Just don't give up.
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 2:25 am

The breeder may have been Susan at Windsong Aviary in Ontario. She recently weaned and sold a clutch of Kakarikis that look exactly like the one you met.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 2:37 am

zazanomore wrote:
I really felt bad for him. I mean, he's a pet store bird. He's going to probably end up as someone's Christmas gift.
*sigh*
Straight question: why can he be your Christmas gift?
zaza, I remember, you was talking about Kakis good couple of months before, why not follow your dreams?
You deal with Einstein and Budgies, you'll deal with Kakariki as well. You are THE PERSON, who can give him special care, I bet nobody here doubts about that.
And finally, you deserve some gift from Santa, follow your dreams Thumbs-up

I really keep my finger crossed, especially that you're already in love with the bird!

EDIT: And one more not reasonable reason: It has to be punishment for movie room Crazy
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 6:18 am

Feed Me , Feed Me. Very cute little guy.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 12:59 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
The breeder may have been Susan at Windsong Aviary in Ontario. She recently weaned and sold a clutch of Kakarikis that look exactly like the one you met.

Is she a good reputable breeder?

Margaret wrote:
zazanomore wrote:
I really felt bad for him. I mean, he's a pet store bird. He's going to probably end up as someone's Christmas gift.
*sigh*
Straight question: why can he be your Christmas gift?
zaza, I remember, you was talking about Kakis good couple of months before, why not follow your dreams?
You deal with Einstein and Budgies, you'll deal with Kakariki as well. You are THE PERSON, who can give him special care, I bet nobody here doubts about that.
And finally, you deserve some gift from Santa, follow your dreams I've fallen in love... 3938999417

I really keep my finger crossed, especially that you're already in love with the bird!

EDIT: And one more not reasonable reason: It has to be punishment for movie room I've fallen in love... 2041350370

You know, if I had met him in Thunder Bay, he would of ended up home with me. The problem is that under my parents roof, I'm under their rule.

Besides, I'd need to buy ALL the supplies here. A cage, food, toys, health exam....then bring everything home with me....

I'm also bringing home Spice in the Spring.

One day I'll have my Kakariki.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 2:09 pm

She has a website that she updates like daily.
http://www.freewebs.com/windsongaviary/forsaleandhatching.htm

She's pretty knowledgable and lets chicks fledge and socialize and all.. but pump out babies like a factory.
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Einstein wants a Kakariki for Christmas Smile

Which store were you at??
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 5:15 pm

crystalsbirdtoys wrote:
Einstein wants a Kakariki for Christmas Smile

Which store were you at??

Bayshore mall pet store...forget the name.

You should check him out. He is such a sweetie. Maybe you could fall in love and take him home? Then I'd know he's safe?...but seriously, he is a cutie pie.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 5:37 pm

I just watched the second video.. you need to go and get that bird.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 7:11 pm

He is sweet! I am always afraid every time I go to a pet store that I'll walk away with someone I really shouldn't.

Last night I dreamed I went to the mall with my husband and he kidnapped a yellow-sided GCC and brought it home!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 8:44 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
I just watched the second video.. you need to go and get that bird.
I so totally agree with you, but she's being an obedient daughter - &%$* it!

Zaza, if I were there I'd let you get it and keep it at my house till you went home, then you could take him with you and buy all the stuff you need when you get back to your place.

But alas.... Sad
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 10:31 pm

aww I was really excited at first and thought you were going to bring him home. I didn't realize kakarikis were sooo cute! I've never seen one in person. I've "clicked" with one or two birds at petstores and it's always hard for me not to bring them home... though I doubt my mom would've been happy had I brought home a 'too (and I don't even want a 'too, the bird was just waay too sweet not to want). Hopefully you'll find another perfect kakariki one day should the time be right to bring one home.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 1:35 am

zazanomore wrote:

One day I'll have my Kakariki.
I know you will! Yes

zazanomore wrote:

Bayshore mall pet store...forget the name.
Somewhere there: http://www.bayshoreshoppingcentre.com/en/stores/details/91/pet-world ?
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 9:56 am

Yup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've fallen in love...   I've fallen in love... Empty

Back to top Go down

I've fallen in love...
Page 1 of 1