Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

More in common than we thought...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

More in common than we thought...  Empty
PostSubject: More in common than we thought...    More in common than we thought...  EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:22 pm

Even in bird land, the women do the decorating and the men sit outside and wait...

More in common than we thought...  131facbf
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: More in common than we thought...    More in common than we thought...  EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:24 pm

LOL. It's like looking a women's clothing store. Women are in the change room, while the men all gravitate to the sitting area and wait it out.

But, why so little toys? Sad

I know they are breeders, but it just looks sad. Needs a splash of color!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: More in common than we thought...    More in common than we thought...  EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 12:00 am

Hahaha! Ask Crystal about that!!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: More in common than we thought...    More in common than we thought...  EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 12:02 am

Great photo!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: More in common than we thought...    More in common than we thought...  EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 1:18 am

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Great photo!
Thanks Smile I thought it was one that crossed the species divide!

zazanomore wrote:
But, why so little toys? Sad

I know they are breeders, but it just looks sad. Needs a splash of color!
Actually, Crystal and I are working on some chew toys that I can buy in bulk from her.

That said, I feel a need to add that the fact that it "looks sad" and "needs a splash of color" is perhaps a human interpretation of the situation. I don't know that you're wrong, but I don't know that you're right either. I do know that when I've given my pairs toys, they've paid attention to the toys right up to the point that they started paying attention to each other. Even the males sitting outside seem to show no interest in toys - all they seem to be interested in is being ready to take care of their girl when she calls.

I do offer ALL of my birds enrichment in the form of fresh greens, vegs, and fruits that they can play in and with (and they do) every day. My birds that aren't in bonded pairs and the birds in my "hen house"(the flight where I keep my "ladies in waiting" and my juvenile bird) have toys to play with. My hen house, for example, has swings, hard chew toys, soft chew toys, a preen rope, and a stupid plastic hoop toy that one of my birds just loves. It's true that their cage doesn't measure up to some of y'all's that I've seen, but they seem to be pretty happy with it.
More in common than we thought...  6673756a
The birds in my hen house get offered a bath in a pie plate of Deep Rock bottled water every other day. The rest of my birds get spritzed with the same water twice a week and are offered a dip on a rotating basis - it comes out to about once every two weeks. They drink bottled water, eat cooked food (the recipes vary) 2-3 times/week and eat a custom mix of seed that I make with the help of a certified avian nutritionist because I couldn't find a commercial mix that I felt was good enough.

I spend, at a minimum, 6-8 hours each week just sitting and watching my birds. Just sitting and watching... not working, not talking, not moving around... sitting and watching. I know the behaviors of each of them intimately. If any one of them was not happy, I would know and would do something about it, you may be assured of that. They are quite possibly some of the best cared for "breeders" in the state - toys or no toys.
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: More in common than we thought...    More in common than we thought...  EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 10:58 am

Stryder beak approves of the new toy Wink He sat there for about 15 minutes talking to it...then dove in and has been nibbling away at it all weekend. It is still standing, and should be there for a few rotations.

The bigger boys are still nibbling at theirs - so it should live up to the rath of the budgie flight!

I got distracted by Mario Brothers toys and neglected the second half of our discussion Wink

For our flights at the store, we used to weave green and red lettuce through the bars - the finches & canaries went wild for it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: More in common than we thought...    More in common than we thought...  EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 12:55 pm

My breeder amazons ignore toys when it's that time of the year. When there's no nest box around they will play with some toys but not like the pets do.They seem more content to just hang out with their mate.IMO their mate is more enrichment than any toy will ever be.A good example is Jake ,she rarely plays with toys if i'm in the room,unless i'm playing with it too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More in common than we thought...    More in common than we thought...  Empty

Back to top Go down

More in common than we thought...
Page 1 of 1