Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Moving -- best logistical approach?

Go down 
+3
henpecked
zazanomore
ScooterNScotty
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Moving -- best logistical approach? Empty
PostSubject: Moving -- best logistical approach?   Moving -- best logistical approach? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi all! Our move is fast approaching. I'm trying to figure out the best logistical approach to handling the bird (and cat) part of the move. With the cats in the past we've always had a room we could cordon off in the new house, where they could stay for the duration of the chaos. In this case, we are going to need mover help in every single room except the bathrooms.

The movers will pack up one day, load the next, park overnight at their HQ, drive to our new home and unload the following day. We are planning to stay in a hotel room near the new home that second night. The bird cages will almost certainly need to get moved by the movers. We are renting a trailer, but I don't think with my husband's back problem we can realistically unload it and make a second trip with the cages. It will already be filled with the stuff the movers won't move. The options for the birds include:

1) Stay with us in their travel carriers for the better part of 48 hours (but probably locked in a bathroom most of that time).
2) board them for 2-3 days
3) Stay in a bathroom in their travel carriers at the new home the first night.
4) Stay in a bathroom in their travel carriers at the old home the first night.

The travel carriers are not all that large, I worry about having them so confined for so long. The cages are likely to be the last thing on the van and the first thing off, but they will need to be stripped down and cleaned prior to loading. I really don't want anyone to get out and get lost or injured in the fray.

FWIW I have much the same options for the cats, replace travel carrier with crates, and they can be loose in a bathroom (not the same one as the birds!) once transported. Unfortunately the master bathroom, which is ample, does not have a separate door from the Master bedroom.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Moving -- best logistical approach?   Moving -- best logistical approach? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:20 pm

For my move, the drive was 2 days, and then for the first day and night here they were still in their travel cages. I didn't take them out at all during this period, I mean, I didn't want them flying everywhere in a new place, with all the chaos going on.

I think a real comfort for my guys was that they were all near each other. They were never alone. Plus, they each had two perches and two toys from their cages for comfort.

They were kept in the now bird room for the first day. There was no furniture minus the cages that had to be moved in there. But, a bathroom would be your best choice.

During the day of unpacking though, I did bring Einstein's travel cage into the other rooms where ever I went, when it was just me there. He would contact call me, but was quiet as long as he could see me. The budgies were perfectly content the whole time.

They don't seem to be traumatized by the experience. The small travel cages are in the bird room, and they'll land on them and climb around. So there is no fear or angst about it.

I don't know if this was very much help or not.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Moving -- best logistical approach?   Moving -- best logistical approach? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:36 pm

It's just that the travel cages are very small... I do also have one "hotel cage" so they could each go up one size after transport. What did you have for travel cages?
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Moving -- best logistical approach?   Moving -- best logistical approach? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 10:32 pm

In a perfect world, i'd leave them in their travel cages at the old home and have their old cages set up when they arrive at the new home. My birds seem to tolerate their travel cages well if in usual surroundings. Making the drive at night ,might also be an option.It would depend on how well your fids travel.(Teils don't travel well at night without some sort of light.)
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Moving -- best logistical approach?   Moving -- best logistical approach? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:46 am

I'm with this boat right with you. Except I need to find a foster. Sad
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Moving -- best logistical approach?   Moving -- best logistical approach? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 5:32 pm

We're looking into boarding the cats, but taking the birds with us. I'm reluctant to leave them in the old house because it's a long enough drive that it would probably be late into the second day before I could go and check on them. Plus with all the furniture gone, they'd either be in a less familiar room or on the floor. So I think they'll be stuck in travel cages in a hotel overnight... it's that or board them, I think. Everything else is too darned complicated.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Moving -- best logistical approach?   Moving -- best logistical approach? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 11:45 pm

Take them with you. The boarding in a strange place with strange people is more of a stress than 48 hours in a travel cage around people they know.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Moving -- best logistical approach?   Moving -- best logistical approach? EmptyWed May 02, 2012 4:29 am

I agree. Take them with you. Travel cages may be hard for them but not nearly as hard as being "abandoned."

I can't speak for your Scotty or your new guy, but I expect that Scooter will travel VERY well. Both JJ and Allie have been great travelers .. Travel carriers, bags, hotels, small cages, everything. As long as they've had me its all been fine.
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: Moving -- best logistical approach?   Moving -- best logistical approach? EmptyWed May 02, 2012 2:44 pm

Our guys have moved with me a multitude of times, and a few nights in their travel cages kept them calmer than switching too much around...
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Moving -- best logistical approach?   Moving -- best logistical approach? EmptyWed May 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanks for all the input guys, it's very helpful!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving -- best logistical approach?   Moving -- best logistical approach? Empty

Back to top Go down

Moving -- best logistical approach?
Page 1 of 1