Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?

Go down 
+4
zazanomore
patdbunny
Vikki
ScooterNScotty
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

"Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? Empty
PostSubject: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 2:13 pm

To make a long story short, Blanco had a night fright and we found him discombobulated and unhappy with a small amount of blood on the edge of his wing. We inspected the whole wing fairly carefully, could not find an obvious broken feather, washed it off and verified the bleeding had stopped. We concluded he had scratched himself between feathers on something sharp in the cage (the ladders that came with it have some edges I've never been totally happy with).

This morning he seemed fine, although still "sore" -- eating and drinking and being a nudge about head scritches. But, smack in the middle of the floor of the room, I found a sub-mature feather, clearly broken, with a blob of dried blood on the end. It looks like a feather that was almost mature -- about half the length is fully released from the shaft. The question is -- at this point, do we need to go looking for the remaining shaft and pull it? Or is it likely OK since the feather was already fairly mature and the bleeding has stopped? What if it broke at the skin surface -- how would we identify that? We didn't see an obvious problem when we looked at him during the night. Or is this a vet-only job?

(Bill is not happy with vets at the moment, the incident with the wormer did not do much for his confidence in vets treating birds. OTOH, there is a vet up here that's AAV listed and who has a dedicated exam room for birds...)

This little guy is turning out to be the high maintenance one of the group. He set Scotty off, but for once he appears to have avoided breaking his beak...
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Anybody? Richard? Roz?

He seems fine now, but 80% of what I found in my research suggests we should find the remaining shaft and pull it or see the vet. No renewed bleeding, using the wing normally... WTD?
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 4:09 pm

I would say given your need to avoid the vet and that Blanco is not in any distress or bleeding any longer, you should be fine. I would only be concerned if he was showing signs of stress or pain. Just keep an eye out for bleeding. Its good that it clotted so quickly, but that doesn't mean it can't reopen.

Also keep an eye on how he continues to use the wing. If the remaining shaft becomes inflamed or infected, that could cause future problems (which is why most people say to pull it). I'm of a mind with these things as if its no longer broke, don't mess with it if its healing on its own.

Last edited by Vikki on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Hey. Sorry, haven't been around lately.

You can find the feather and pull it with needle nose pliers if you want. You'd have to be careful to restrain that wing so you don't break/hurt it. Sometimes those feathers really hold on tight when they're not ready to come out.

Or you can just leave it and it will molt out in due course. I've done that a lot before. I'm to the point I pull out blood feathers if I catch them fresh bleeding or broken in such a way that it's flopping around and causing pain. If it's older, dried blood and not causing any ongoing pain I tend to leave them alone.

The soreness will be there even after you pull the feather as plucking out a feather that's not ready to come out will be painful and leave a sore spot.

So that's my input. Do it or don't. I wouldn't worry about it as it's not currently bleeding and not a cause of ongoing pain. If you're not super comfortable with restraint and pulling out the feather my most pressing concern would be inadvertently hurting that wing while trying to get the feather out.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks for the input, you two! I am thinking that the blood supply was in the process of drying up anyway, since the initial bleeding was minor and we weren't even able to tell where it was coming from. Had I not found the feather, it would have remained a mystery. I will keep an eye open for infection -- and we will go to the vet if we need to.

I think personally I'd have either gone hunting for it or hauled him off to the vet, but Bill is a lot more of the mind to leave well enough alone... it it's not being incredibly irresponsible to leave it alone, I'd just as soon let him get his way this time.

Never a dull moment, is there?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 5:06 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
I think personally I'd have either gone hunting for it or hauled him off to the vet, but Bill is a lot more of the mind to leave well enough alone... it it's not being incredibly irresponsible to leave it alone, I'd just as soon let him get his way this time.

My view is that there's a lot of mystical thinking when animals are involved - run to the vet for every little hang nail, scrape and bruise. Whereas if it were an actual human child you'd put a bandaid, icepack, wash it off or just plain watch it before rushing off to the ER/doctor every time.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 5:21 pm

Einstein has broken his fair share of feathers. The first time I had a complete freak out.

But, I think tiels are just inherently clumsy. Just check to see if he's acting different or for any bleeding and move on.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Zaza it was definitely a blood feather he broke off, and there was bleeding, just not a lot of it. He seems totally fine now, but I'm sure the other end is still there somewhere... but no sign of it starting to bleed again.

The feather I found was clearly a broken off blood feather, still "blue" with about half the feather out of the sheath, with definite blood at the end and within the shaft. But he never bled profusely and until we found the feather, we had no idea he had broken a blood feather, assumed it was a scrape. I presume it was starting to "dry up" on its own.

Are 'tiels high maintenance or is it just Blanco?
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 7:02 pm

Depends on your definition of high maintenance Razz
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 11:36 pm

Well, he's certainly worried me about his health more than the others put together! He's also a terrible nudge about getting attention, but is so is Scooter when he's in the mood to be.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 12:51 am

IMO the only thing "lower maintence" would be chickens. The perfect pet bird.
Back to top Go down
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

My Birds : Poe - Yellow Sided GCC
Doppler - Pearl Whiteface Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 5:14 pm

zazanomore wrote:

But, I think tiels are just inherently clumsy....

Here here!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:59 pm

He is really easy in a lot of ways, but I hope he stops trying to die on a regular basis!
Back to top Go down
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:43 am

ScooterNScotty wrote:
He is really easy in a lot of ways, but I hope he stops trying to die on a regular basis!

"Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? 820986233

It's so true! "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? 3837688113
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Pretty_Poe wrote:

It's so true!

'tis. But he seems blissfully unaware of it...

"Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? Blanco6-12-12at107PM
Back to top Go down
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 5:39 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Pretty_Poe wrote:

It's so true!

'tis. But he seems blissfully unaware of it...

"Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? Blanco6-12-12at107PM

Oh, he looks so happy and pretty!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm finding out that they are such contradictions - beautiful and clumsy, content and needy, happy and irritated ... how they manage to be all of these things at the same time is totally beyond me, but I suppose I'll love them anyway. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 12:08 am

Hey Vicki, was just thinking about you, hadn't heard from you in a while!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Smile I'm working ALL the time and exhausted when I get home... it's all I can do to eat dinner and get to bed. Fortunately my birds work with me, otherwise they wouldn't even know who I was!
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 9:56 am

I think it depends on the bird....one of my friends' Caiques broke a blood feather...then did the normal Caique panic routine...and did not survive as she (Caique) made it so much worse by freaking out.

Whereas Merlin or Stryder would stay still if this occurred...

Rosco would freak out, so I'd have Husband pull it while I held him for his own safety.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?   "Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft? Empty

Back to top Go down

"Older" blood feather broken -- do we need to hunt for the shaft?
Page 1 of 1