Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Converting a GCC to pellets?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JodyL
Budgerigar

My Birds : Sayde AKA Bella= gcc

Converting a GCC to pellets? Empty
PostSubject: Converting a GCC to pellets?   Converting a GCC to pellets? EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Sorry I posted my behavior question in the wrong forum. My GCC is 1 1/2 years old. she came from a well respected parrot store where she was fed fresh food and a conure mix- that has lots of different things in it including some zupreem pellets. I also give her avicakes and nutraberries for treats.

My vet was not happy that I do not feed mainly pellets. When you read the ingredients- the first ones are ground corn and soybean meal.

I want my bird to be healthy- and I know this is a controversial topic.

Suggestions?

Jody
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Converting a GCC to pellets?   Converting a GCC to pellets? EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 11:27 pm

I'd maybe increase the amount of pellet in the mix and see how she does with that. I've never really made a wholehearted effort to convert Scooter to pellets because he will eat fresh foods. Pellets are our best guess at the nutritional needs and they do have supplementation so they have a known amount of key vitamins and minerals, but they are one size fits all for species that have fairly varied diets in the wild.

I like the idea of about 2/3 pellets to 1/3 other things including fruits, veggies, sprouts, pasta, seeds, nuts, grains... but I don't think any of mine actually wind up with that. I think if they eat fresh foods well and aren't subsisting mostly on sunflower seeds they are already way ahead of most birds...
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Converting a GCC to pellets?   Converting a GCC to pellets? EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 3:30 pm

Jodi,
What are you looking for suggestions on? Are you looking for opinions on pellets in general? Pellets as a percentage of the birds diet? The ingredients in pellets? Because honestly, they're all different questions with somewhat different answers. I'd hate to answer my version of your question only to find out it wasn't your question at all! LOL!
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
JodyL
Budgerigar

My Birds : Sayde AKA Bella= gcc

PostSubject: Re: Converting a GCC to pellets?   Converting a GCC to pellets? EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Basically wondered if it is really worth the effort to convert? I am not sure I would want to eat those dry tasteless things as my primary diet? Do you think nutraberries, avicakes are healthy?

Jody
Back to top Go down
BratBirds
Parrotlet
BratBirds

My Birds : Timneh African Grey-Peanut
Sun Conure-Skittles
Tiel-Mariah

PostSubject: Re: Converting a GCC to pellets?   Converting a GCC to pellets? EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Avicakes and nutriberries aren't the most healthy foods - having said this, know that my birds get more than their share of them. LOL When I feed what I would like to - they get pellets available at all times, Avicake or two once a day, nutriberries once a day, seed mixture twice a week and fresh foods once a day( this could be cut up fresh fruits and veggies or birdie bread with fresh foods in it).

The amounts and even if you should fed an entirely pellet diet is one of great diffences of opinions. Find what works best in your family situation. As long as it is varied I think the bird will do fine.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Converting a GCC to pellets?   Converting a GCC to pellets? EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 6:28 pm

My birds eat their pellets like candy. They love them. Looking at the pellets, I wouldn't think they're so delicious, but the birds seem to think so (crazy things that they are!).

My birds eat essentially fresh food and pellets. They have pellets ALL the time. Every day (or every other day) I'll give them some veggie or fruit mash in the morning. They scarf that down, then munch on their pellets the rest of the day. In the evening, we'll typically share the healthiest of what we're having for dinner with them.

For treats, I'll give them WW toast with peanut butter and some high quality bird seed or some sweet potato/pumpkin with quinoa and millet. They love both of those! lol!

To my knowledge, they've never had an Avicake or Nutriberry - ever.

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Converting a GCC to pellets?   Converting a GCC to pellets? Empty

Back to top Go down

Converting a GCC to pellets?
Page 1 of 1