Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Harrison's Pellets

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Harrison's Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Harrison's Pellets   Harrison's Pellets EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Anyone have any info about Harrison's giving vets kickbacks for pushing feeding 100% Harrison's pellets?
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Harrison's Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrison's Pellets   Harrison's Pellets EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:52 pm

No, I haven't heard anything. That would be disappointing.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Harrison's Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrison's Pellets   Harrison's Pellets EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Well, I just found out directly from Harrison's the following:
"The Harrison's Bird Foods product line is a family of premium certified organic pet bird foods sold and distributed by licensed veterinarians. "

So veterinarians do have a monetary benefit from pushing Harrison's.

The bird stores and other places that are not vets that carry Harrison's has to buy if from a veterinary distributor.

No wonder vets push Harrison's.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Harrison's Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrison's Pellets   Harrison's Pellets EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Well my birds (in general) don't care for it.I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.I'd rather see that "extra" revenue spent on quality than kick backs.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Harrison's Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrison's Pellets   Harrison's Pellets EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 5:55 pm

I don't have a problem with vets selling foods or recommending products they believe in. I do find it questionable if they are being required to have some kind of exclusivity agreement. It's kind of like M.D.s and prescription meds. I have to trust my M.D. to use professional judgment in what he chooses to prescribe because I know the drug reps are wining, dining, and tschotske-ing him within an inch of his life. But I don't think they can require him to prescribe only their meds and not those made by other companies and so forth.

You can still order directly from Harrison's online, so I'm skeptical that the stores and catalogs are ordering through veterinary suppliers. Can you provide a source for that? Or is this mixed up somehow with their HEALx - AVIx products, about which I am less than enthusiastic. But those can be ordered directly as well.

Harrison's foods sound great on paper, but my birds don't go for it either. They are USDA Organic and I think TOP is the only other pellet that is certified organic.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Harrison's Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrison's Pellets   Harrison's Pellets EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 6:00 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
I don't have a problem with vets selling foods or recommending products they believe in. I do find it questionable if they are being required to have some kind of exclusivity agreement. It's kind of like M.D.s and prescription meds. I have to trust my M.D. to use professional judgment in what he chooses to prescribe because I know the drug reps are wining, dining, and tschotske-ing him within an inch of his life. But I don't think they can require him to prescribe only their meds and not those made by other companies and so forth.
My OP was due to a recent buyer's vet telling her she must feed Harrison's exclusively or the bird will have health problems. . . and coincidentally that vet sells Harrison's.

ScooterNScotty wrote:
You can still order directly from Harrison's online, so I'm skeptical that the stores and catalogs are ordering through veterinary suppliers. Can you provide a source for that?
The source is an email directly from Harrison's to me:
"Some pet related businesses do carry this particular line and purchase it via either a resale relationship with their local veterinarian, from one of several veterinary distributorships that ship countrywide or from us at a retail rate."
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Harrison's Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrison's Pellets   Harrison's Pellets EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 6:12 pm

....and that's the name of that tune......
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Harrison's Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrison's Pellets   Harrison's Pellets EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 6:18 pm

I think i might call that vet and ask what leads him to make such a statment,is my choice of pellets harmful to my bird? Where might i find such evidence,who's research does he base this on.This tends to piss me off.My birds would starve before eating Harrisson's.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Harrison's Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrison's Pellets   Harrison's Pellets EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 6:26 pm

henpecked wrote:
I think i might call that vet and ask what leads him to make such a statment,is my choice of pellets harmful to my bird? Where might i find such evidence,who's research does he base this on.This tends to piss me off.My birds would starve before eating Harrisson's.
I am pissed beyond belief. I wean babies onto 2 different brands of pellets, sprouts, fresh fruits and veg, cooked mix, etc. very limited amount of seeds. You mean I've been killing myself daily for nothing when I can just toss in a handful of Harrison's pellets?
And this vet's the only certified avian vet in Arizona. . .
Sounds like she needs to make sure she can make her Porche payment, despite the economy.

Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Harrison's Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrison's Pellets   Harrison's Pellets EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Yeah i wish i knew what vet,there's at least 5 females listed in AZ.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Harrison's Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrison's Pellets   Harrison's Pellets EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 6:55 pm

patdbunny wrote:

ScooterNScotty wrote:
You can still order directly from Harrison's online, so I'm skeptical that the stores and catalogs are ordering through veterinary suppliers. Can you provide a source for that?
The source is an email directly from Harrison's to me:
"Some pet related businesses do carry this particular line and purchase it via either a resale relationship with their local veterinarian, from one of several veterinary distributorships that ship countrywide or from us at a retail rate."

Fascinating. Now I do find it on their website under where to buy. I wonder if this is a recent development. I still think the vet in question is even more at fault than Harrison's unless they somehow coerced him or her. That's unethical behavior IMO.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

Harrison's Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrison's Pellets   Harrison's Pellets EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 7:49 pm

My vet sells Harrisons but pushes fresh foods.... go figure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Harrison's Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrison's Pellets   Harrison's Pellets EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Mine sells both Harrison's and Roudybush but he suggested I feed Roudybush and gave me a huge bag of it. I think it's because Roudybush is cheaper so he figured I might be more inclined to buy it long term as opposed to Harrison's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Harrison's Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrison's Pellets   Harrison's Pellets Empty

Back to top Go down

Harrison's Pellets
Page 1 of 1