Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My New Acquisition

Go down 
+9
GlassOnion
crystalsbirdtoys
ScooterNScotty
zazanomore
atlanon
Margaret
flappinhappy
evil chicken
patdbunny
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

My New Acquisition - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 12:19 am

Damn! As soon as I saw the pics, I knew they were Brotogeris!!! I woulda guessed right if I logged on earlier!
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 6:41 am

Hell i didn't know what they were, i think my buddy Howard has some of them tho. That is a pretty bird, hope you ended up with a pair.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 am

henpecked wrote:
Hell i didn't know what they were, i think my buddy Howard has some of them tho. That is a pretty bird, hope you ended up with a pair.
Howard Voren?

Hey you guys in Canada, how common are the brotogeris keets up there?
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 3:15 pm

There is ONE at a petstore, and the lady said it's probably the only one in BC.
He was around a $1000 and is NEVER taken out of the cage because he pierced an employee's lip once.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 3:51 pm

good grief. If he's so mean, why would they keep him in the pet store?

Seriously, when I win the lottery, I'll send you the money and you buy that birdie for me. KK? Maybe it can make some babies??
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 4:16 pm

I have heard the name before but have never seen one ever. Information on Avianweb.com makes them sound like great pets:

Members of the Brotogeris family are smart, curious, energetic and loved for their innate playfulness. These personality traits make them excellent pets. Handfed babies, in particular, have very sweet personalities. It is easiest to gain their trust and affection if introduced into the family as hand-fed and properly socially babies; however, with a little time and patience, "second-hand" birds can in most cases also be turned into loving and treasured pets.

How big are they? Information online seems to indicate about the size of a GCC, but in some pictures they look smaller. It also says that they are very hard to find and at risk of disappearing from North America.

Roz to the rescue! yahoo
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 4:34 pm

It's a bit bigger than a lovebird and smaller than a GCC. Like 1.5x a lovie.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 5:12 pm

I never heard about them, but they look so cuuute! Roz, when we can start celebrate? I just finish my work and have a weekend yahoo
So I can go to a bird mart tomorrow and torture myself flappinhappy
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 11:00 pm

The white-wings are smaller than a cockatiel and about 2xs the size of a parrotlet. The grey-cheeked parakeets (Brotogeris pyrrhoptera) were even more common than the white-wings waaaayyy back when, and were a bit larger. Now the grey-cheeked parakeets are really hard to find. Even harder to find than the white-wings. I can't remember when the last time I saw one in real life was.

I can see why they can be easily tamed. These guys aren't tame. When I grabbed them they don't squirm and try to bite like most birds do. They kinda relax, like - Okay, you got me.

I'm excited. But they're not supposed to be the easiest things to breed. Plus these guys are really young, so there probably won't be any updates anytime soon.

Margaret - Go walk around the bird mart. Feather sniffing will give you a better high than glue.
Back to top Go down
coldtrance
Parrotlet
coldtrance

My Birds : Im lonely without my Sammy.
On the market for a new FID.

PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Hm thats so funny I almost got one of those before I got Sammy. A guy was selling a hand fed baby on craigslist.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 12:44 pm

coldtrance wrote:
Hm thats so funny I almost got one of those before I got Sammy. A guy was selling a hand fed baby on craigslist.

I saw that ad too. I wanted to get it. That's the first time I've seen any brotogeris on CL. I think there is some lady in north county breeding them, though.

Oh - I take it back that they're docile and don't fight back when caught up. That was only first day nervousness. I grabbed them up for their DNA torture session yesterday and got the crap bitten out of me.
Back to top Go down
coldtrance
Parrotlet
coldtrance

My Birds : Im lonely without my Sammy.
On the market for a new FID.

PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 9:07 pm

patdbunny wrote:
coldtrance wrote:

I saw that ad too. I wanted to get it. That's the first time I've seen any brotogeris on CL. I think there is some lady in north county breeding them, though.

Oh - I take it back that they're docile and don't fight back when caught up. That was only first day nervousness. I grabbed them up for their DNA torture session yesterday and got the crap bitten out of me.

Ive been tempted to still add that baby to my flock but its been posted almost daily so I want to know whats wrong with it that no one wants to adopt it for only $150. Plus after the feather lice all over Sammy I dont really trust craigslist anymore.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 10:00 pm

coldtrance wrote:
Plus after the feather lice all over Sammy I dont really trust craigslist anymore.
Outdoor birds here in So.Cal. get junk like that. Is it handled?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 5:06 pm

Update - DNA results are back. I have a true M/F pair! Yeah!

And they're supposed to be "loud". I haven't heard much vocalizations out of them. What I have heard "can" be construed as "loud" as it's a pretty deep "loud" sound. A very weird sound to be coming out of something so small fer sure. They don't vocalize very often, possibly because they're not tame. Maybe tame ones are more vocal. Dunno.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 3:38 am

patdbunny wrote:
Update - DNA results are back. I have a true M/F pair! Yeah!
I'm glad they are a pair, as you wanted. So hopefully, when they mature, there is a chance for little one Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My New Acquisition   My New Acquisition - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My New Acquisition
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: Parrot Species-
Jump to: