Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A new Eclectus

Go down 
+9
coldtrance
GlassOnion
evil chicken
Margaret
MandaDPanda
henpecked
kaeladedah
atlanon
patdbunny
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:10 am

For LyzGrace tomorrow!!!

Congrats!!

How do we throw a cyberbaby shower?
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:29 am

Aww, thanks Roz!!! I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight.... daaahhh!! Lotsa pictures tomorrow, promise Very Happy

Er... maybe Friday... Imma be preoccupied tomorrow!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:34 am

All of you people getting babies makes me want birdy babies.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:37 am

Did you find anywhere in your research of eclectus that they scream a lot the first six months or so? I had never read that anywhere before the "other forum". I've been wondering about that.

Oh yeah - put a low perch for about the first month while the baby's getting coordinated. And no covered food and water bowls during the first month or so. Sometimes newly weaned babies aren't too bright and won't stick their heads into a covered crock to eat.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:38 am

KayLayUh wrote:

This has to be IT for me... There isn't enough room in my house for the cage I have as it is!! I foresee bad birdy-addiction-driven purchases being made when I move back to PA and have a normal house and no neighbors again, though. And you guys are bad influences!!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:41 am

LyzGrace wrote:
KayLayUh wrote:

This has to be IT for me... There isn't enough room in my house for the cage I have as it is!! I foresee bad birdy-addiction-driven purchases being made when I move back to PA and have a normal house and no neighbors again, though. And you guys are bad influences!!

Oh puhlease! Where there's a will, there's a way. My apartment is 400 square feet, including kitchen and bathroom. About half of that is a usable bedroom/living room area. I have two 20" x 18" x 32" cages. I also have an 18" x 18" x 18" cage set up for a lovebird, if and when I get one. If I do get one, that cage will be upgraded to the same cage the GCC and budgies have.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:41 am

Parrots are less fattening than potato chips. . . so you can have more than one guilt free. . .
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:43 am

patdbunny wrote:
Did you find anywhere in your research of eclectus that they scream a lot the first six months or so? I had never read that anywhere before the "other forum". I've been wondering about that.

Oh yeah - put a low perch for about the first month while the baby's getting coordinated. And no covered food and water bowls during the first month or so. Sometimes newly weaned babies aren't too bright and won't stick their heads into a covered crock to eat.

The only place I'd ever read that screamy-for-six-months thing was from sidech on the other forum. Honestly, though, the lady I'm getting him from breeds nothing but eclectus and she said they rarely scream because they're in her house and it's quiet. When I went to look at the babies I was there meeting and greeting and asking her questions in her living room with maybe 6 or 7 of her birds for close to an hour and a half. Not one of them made a peep while I was there other than one of her breeder ladies making a sweet Mrs. Doubtfireish "hellOOooo!!"

And thanks - I don't have a floor-length cage, so it's not crazy tall, but I'll put some low perches in there, too. I just have regular food bowls, too, so that should be okay. If you think of any other baby tips throw em my way Smile
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:45 am

KayLayUh wrote:
I also have an 18" x 18" x 18" cage set up for a lovebird, if and when I get one.

See, now, there's your FIRST problem, hahaha. Let's start a pool for how long it takes until Kaylayuh's got herself another baby Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:49 am

LyzGrace wrote:
KayLayUh wrote:
I also have an 18" x 18" x 18" cage set up for a lovebird, if and when I get one.

See, now, there's your FIRST problem, hahaha. Let's start a pool for how long it takes until Kaylayuh's got herself another baby Very Happy

WELL, in my defense, there was a lovebird listed in the newspaper for free. I called about her and was told that the people who took her didn't like her and were probably sending her back. They asked if they could call me when she was ready to be picked up, so I got the cage together. I had the budgies old cage and it was all clean and I had some spare toys. But the lady called and said the other family decided to keep her. Crying or Very sad

I've been eyeing a lovebird breeder not far from here and thinking about calling. I'm been putting it off to see if I could get the baby bird itch to go away, but it's just getting worse. AND I'm still waiting for a whiteface lutino cockatiel to be available!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:52 am

I though Kaylayuh was looking for another baby? scratch

Ok, so your breeder says they don't just scream for the first several months. I thought that was odd.

Baby tips - Do you know about sleep cages? I don't know how busy your household is. My primary piece of advice is socialize the baby like crazy. Get the baby super adaptable. That way the baby easily adjusts to when you have human babies, moving, life changes, etc., etc., etc.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:57 am

patdbunny wrote:
I though Kaylayuh was looking for another baby? scratch

I would love to have a baby bird, but I always get drawn into rehome birds. I don't really mind rehomes, so it's not a problem, but I really want my own baby just once. I'd like to know the hatch date and have the baby pictures and be able to have it be all mine without having to deal with all the rehome issues.

I'm glad I didn't get that lovebird because she was a chronic layer, but I'm not sure where she went was really the right place for her. The family said she went to a new bird owner with no experience.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 7:06 am

patdbunny wrote:
Parrots are less fattening than potato chips. . . so you can have more than one guilt free. . .
that makes sense to me. :bounce:
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Oh! It's almost 6 p.m. in Atlanta. LyzGrace is on her way to pick up Yoshi. We won't hear from her for a couple of days.
Back to top Go down

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 6:48 pm

I am so excited to meet Yoshi!!!
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Soooo exciting! Smile Can't wait for pictures of the little one!Smile
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:05 pm

Yoshi is here and so are pictures!!! I put them up in the Gallery Very Happy

Went to pick him up and ended up getting a box of food and supplies that put him up to par with Paris Hilton as far as luggage goes...

Because my mom has a travel cage back in PA that we'll be heading up to go get in a few weeks, I didn't buy any special travel things for him and just buckled in the big table perch that he came with and he was perfectly behaved and quiet on the way home. Got him in the house and showed him to the hubby...

Now you have to understand that Nate is not inherently an animal person as I am... CERTAINLY not a bird person... yet... So I get in and show him Yoshi, he was all excited and "Oh, how cute!" as a dutiful husband should be Wink Then he put his hand up to take the bird from me and made the mistake of using his left hand, which had a nice shiny toy on it. Yoshi reached out with his beak to taste it and Nate squealed and pulled away... I guess you had to see it to appreciate the hilarity. It was all in slow motion... Yoshi hesitantly reaching for a shiny and Nate sticking his hand out with eyes closed tightly slowly pulling away like its gonna eat me its gonna eat me ITS GONNA EAT MEEEE!!!!!!

But he got over it and he held him and even gave him a few pets Very Happy

I of course skyped my mom back home so he could say hi to "nana" and tucked him in. This morning he was on the floor of the cage. I have a rope perch wrapping from the floor of the cage up to the main perch just in case he did fall and need to get back up, but it looked like he walked down that as opposed to falling. It also looked like he hadn't eaten much, so I was a little concerned. Had to head to work, though, so I put him back up top in front of his food and put a bowl on the floor, too. ***SIDENOTE*** should I not do that? I haven't been able to observe him in the cage alone to be able to see him walk up and down, but I'm pretty certain he can get back up, I don't want to encourage him to stay on the floor.

Got to work and tried to wait until a good hour to call the breeder. I made it to 8:45. And I woke her up. But she was still nice about it and said it's not abnormal for them to go a bit without eating since they're getting used to a new place. He had taken a few pieces of carrot and apple by hand, so it wasn't as if he hadn't eaten anything at all. SO she made me feel a little bit better and I worked until 2:00 where I came up with a good enough excuse to go home and check on him aaaand he was fine. So now he's out and doin' the church nod on his perch next to me Very Happy

Now I can post here and not feel like a poser Razz Thanks for all the well wishes guys!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:07 pm

Yeah, I'm coming to steal him. He's way too cute!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:22 pm

LyzGrace wrote:
put a bowl on the floor, too. ***SIDENOTE*** should I not do that?
No, that's fine. Leave food and water somewhere really easy to find - on the floor is good. Once Yoshi's more confident he'll be climbing all over.
CONGRATS!! Gunna go look at pics now.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:40 pm

Congratulations! And good luck with Yoshi wee
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyFri May 20, 2011 10:01 pm

I looked at the pics before I looked at the post! Congrats!

Pretty sure there's a bird napping party coming to your house. LOL He's too cute! I want to hold him and pet him and make funny noises at him Smile LOL
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyFri May 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Amigo
Here come the ninjas! :suspect:
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptyFri May 20, 2011 10:05 pm

Yoshi is adorable! Look out for the ninja bird-napping party!
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptySat May 21, 2011 12:06 pm

Awww, fanks guys!!! I didn't like the photos we got yesterday with the flash, so we were hanging out on the porch today and I thought I'd try some more - more (better) photos in the gallery!
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  EmptySat May 21, 2011 2:21 pm

I love how flourescent he is!!! Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A new Eclectus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new Eclectus    A new Eclectus  Empty

Back to top Go down

A new Eclectus
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next