Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time... Empty
PostSubject: How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time...   How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time... EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 2:55 am

It's Saturday. After Bird Fair, dinner and walk in the park(without harness), we realized, we're short of some pet supplies for dog and budgies seeds. One, two, tree we decided, we take dog, Chico and drove to the pet store near us, when we was able to get everything.
Situation: we walk in, my bf keeping his dog on the leas, I keep Chico on my shoulder without harness. Everybody goes, O, hi, what a cute dog, Oh, Ah, what a cute bird, jada, jada, jada.
I took seeds per lb, my bf took bones for dog and we're going back to the cashier and there was lady with cute Labrador across me. Chico suddenly make a very laud: Wee and make a u-turn from my arm and fly to the end of aisle. I was Shocked , but run and grab her. I didn't keep her on my shoulder no more, just hug her, kiss her and kept her in my hands.
Okay, we're standing to cashier, there was cute hot-dog behind us... and Chico did escaped from me again. This time she was so afraid, that I have to chaise her in the store... While my bf was paying, I came to him with Chico and everybody was looking at me as an completely idiot. I can imagine, that all those people thought, that I'm so stupid, that knowing that my bird can fly, I just bring Chico without harness.
And that was the last time I did it. Good it happened in the store, not during my walk in the neighborhood, where is plenty of cars...
What surprised me the most, that she is not afraid of my bf's dogs or deers and another dogs in the park.
She was clipped, her wings grows a bit, bot still not full. But in the situation she was stressed out, she managed the long fly twice...Now she has 2 choices: harness or clipped wings. So far we're with harness.

And that was the lesson for me: If you have a small bird, do not trust, that the clipped wings won't stop her one day from flying!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time...   How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time... EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 8:39 am

I'm glad you and Chico made it home together!

So, is Chico fully clipped? I keep all of mine fully clipped and go out without a harness.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time...   How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time... EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 1:31 pm

Glad you didn't lose little Chico. Yeah, the tiels - you can breathe on them too hard and they take off.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time...   How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time... EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 1:39 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
I'm glad you and Chico made it home together!

So, is Chico fully clipped? I keep all of mine fully clipped and go out without a harness.
Julsie, she came to me clipped March 16th. Now is what June... Her wings grow back a bit, but not fully grow. At home she kinda fly down without a huge booom, I mean smoothly Wink But what she did in the store (chicken!) was completely unexpected from me. Now I'm aware...
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time...   How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time... EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 2:48 pm

I have read that 'tiels are very hard to fully ground, they are very good fliers. So a harness or a little carrier is probably the better part of valor when outside. I need to get Scooter habituated to his harness so I can take him out. Even when we have him clipped the way we want him (we like to leave the outer two pretty blue flight feathers intact) if he gets very startled, he can go far enough to get into trouble.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time...   How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time... EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 4:19 pm

Believe me, I learned my lesson. I won't take her out without harness no more.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time...   How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 10:23 pm

I took Chico for a walk on leash/harness today and... she loves to fly. Since she did that in the pet store Saturday, she is trying to fly out from my shoulder on every tree she'll see on her way. Thank goodness for harness! And during the tree searching, she make a different kind of Wee! (from soft one to angry one). I believe that what happened Saturday, gave her more confidence to try fly outside.
It's good, nothing better to see your pet happy flappinhappy
And more people from neighborhood start starring at us, but do we care? Wink
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time...   How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 10:56 pm

Margaret wrote:

wee Thumbs-up
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time...   How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time... EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 1:06 pm

Margaret wrote:

$10 says it's more out of curiosity than any sort of annoyance.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time...   How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time... EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 5:04 pm

Like Jake says, "I can fly,I can FLLYYYYY" Happy
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time...   How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time... EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 5:17 pm

HEART ATTACK!

I get nervous just taking them out in a carrier, I don't know what I would of done.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time...   How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time... EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 6:25 pm

patdbunny wrote:
$10 says it's more out of curiosity than any sort of annoyance.

Yes, but it's contagious. The girl working in the nearest 7/11 store has a son. She felt in love with Chico. I was going there and finally she ask me about 'tiels and how are they/etc./etc. She told me also, that years ago one guy was coming to this store with exactly the same bird on the leash. witch means I'm not the first one in my neighborhood. But that's not the end. She finally made out her mind to made a search via Internet and she wants a 'tiel "for her son". I know her for a long time and I know, that will be her cockatiel, but son is a good excuse yahoo

zazanomore wrote:
I get nervous just taking them out in a carrier, I don't know what I would of done.
I bet patdbunny's $10 you would do the same what I did Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time...   How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time... Empty

Back to top Go down

How Chico surprised me and embarrassed me the same time...
Page 1 of 1