Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whew.....I made it

Go down 
+7
VickiNumbers
Margaret
GlassOnion
atlanon
kaeladedah
zazanomore
henpecked
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 4:49 pm

I took some people Marlin/Sword fishing for a couple of days, we were about 125 miles west of Tampa, Fla.(middle of the ocean basically speaking ) This immature brown headed cowbird showed up and really needed a place to rest. I thought you folks might get a kick out of this so i took a few pics.This is a common occurrence and seeing song bird or flocks of song birds out in the ocean is generally a sign of good luck.This poor bird only spent a few hours on the boat but i've had some spend a week or so.If you don't know about BH Cow birds they are unique in that they lay their eggs in other birds nest and let the host parents raise their young, which are usually larger than the host bird and the BN Cow bird young will eat all that the parents can provide which means the host bird's chicks don't usually live.Anyway enjoy.
[img]Whew.....I made it 032qh [/img]
Hey any water in that hose?
[img]Whew.....I made it 041og [/img]
What's in the bucket
[img]Whew.....I made it 045vj [/img]
Hangin with the Capt
[img]Whew.....I made it 046gg [/img]
See you later
[img]Whew.....I made it 053ti [/img]
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Deep sea fishing is on my bucket list
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 5:01 pm

Come on down. We'll need a pretty day to take a cow girl fishing though. Roz Don't want you chummin all day.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 5:11 pm

My boyfriend's done deep sea fishing. He loves to fish and wants to take me. I'm afraid of fish..

Cute little birdy though!
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 5:21 pm

Aawww look at the legs on her!!! What a cutie, I love wild birds. That's funny that they would hang out that close to you guys, they must be pretty well boat-ified. I went on my first cruise a few months ago and a few hours after leaving port I was exploring and found a bunch of pigeons in a cage out on one of the decks. I suppose I hadn't thought about what you do with stowaway birdies... I hope they don't release them off of the ports other countries or something!! Does anybody know?

zazanomore wrote:
I'm pretty hardcore "no drugs unless you're dying" and can't remember the last time I've taken a Tylenol or ibuprofen for anything, but I've been deep-sea fishing twice, and the second time I'm pretty sure I almost OD'd on Dramamine Razz My first time was a really rough day in a tiny boat and I was over the side the whole time. Unfortunately, the second time I went was better, so I probably wouldn't have gotten very sick anyway, but the drugs knocked me out, so I couldn't enjoy it!! I struck out both times, but I'm sure it WOULD have been a ton of fun if it was a good day and/or I wasn't in a dramamine-induced coma. The first time I went they caught a baby shark, though, and had everybody come look at it, but then they didn't throw it back, they just let it flop... it made me so upset I walked to the back of the boat. I have no idea what they did with it Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 5:30 pm

Almost 100% of the songbirds we see offshore have no fear of humans,and most will light on you,crawl in your bunk,your dinner plate etc.One thing i will say is that most are hell on flies,which will show up after a strong offshore wind,and hard for us humans to kill.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 5:34 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
My boyfriend's done deep sea fishing. He loves to fish and wants to take me. I'm afraid of fish..

Cute little birdy though!
Most of Marlin we catch now days are released and i try very hard not to let them jump into the boat which can be very traumatic for all involved.You can sit up top with me and take pics and video.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 5:36 pm

Some of my favorite childhood memories is fishing for large mouth bass with my grandfather I love you
Back to top Go down

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 6:01 pm

Ive been deep sea fishing a few times, only got sick once- was my own fault though.

Adorable birdy!!!
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 6:29 pm

Awww, I'd love to go deep-fishing! I absolutely love sea-food. Just thinking about it makes my mouth drool..
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 6:34 pm

You and me both onion, think i'll go tonite and get me some !!!!!
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 6:43 pm

I'm so jealous! I'd better find me some prawns tonight....
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 9:03 pm

That birds looks so cue!
Yes, I have heard, that when wild birds are around you or when they build their nest close to you, it brings a lots of good luck Wink
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 9:50 pm

zazanomore wrote:
I can't say it's on my actual bucket list, but it's something I've always wanted to do. Every time we're in Tampa I make Cal drive me along the coast, I always make him drive me past the marinas so I can see the fishing boats. Then I talk wistfully about how "interesting" it would be to go out on one and "see how they operate and what kind of fish they bring in." Singing Wink Seriously though, my dad has been out on the gulf and says it's pretty fun. Even more than I'd like to go fish, I'd just like to get out on the water in a "small" boat. The only time I've ever been beyond the surf is when I've been on a cruise - and that's just not the same. You don't really experience the water on a ship.

I love water. Y'all may think I'm crazy, but I really do. I love the fact that its common and essential to every form of life. I love that it's able to sculpt mountains but can fall on a flower petal without causing harm. I love the sound it makes, the way it feels when I touch it, the way that every body of water has its own unique smell. I love its dependability: the rhythm of the waves and tides, and how it provides me with a different sunset every evening. Fog, mist, rain, snow, snow melt, puddles, streams, rivers, lakes, oceans ... I really do love it all. I don't like the mess that accompanies it while living in the city, but that isn't the fault of the water. The water just is.

The next time I'm in Tampa, I'm ditching the in-laws and coming to stay with y'all and the fids. I've got FAR more in common with you than them. All I have in common with them is my hubby! LOL!

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Vicki5280 wrote:
zazanomore wrote:
Seriously though, my dad has been out on the gulf and says it's pretty fun.

Until the boat capsizes and you're stuck in the middle of the ocean with nothing but a lifevest, a la Raiders player that died in the Gulf two years ago.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 10:13 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
Vicki5280 wrote:
zazanomore wrote:

Until the boat capsizes and you're stuck in the middle of the ocean with nothing but a lifevest, a la Raiders player that died in the Gulf two years ago.
Hey Kay, It's not that different than hiking in the woods, common sense goes along way, and i'm way over sinking boats.Vicki , come on down.!!
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Carpe Diem.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 11:18 pm

My husband loves sport fishing. I keep wanting to get him set up with a charter when we're in a suitable location, but it never seems to happen. It's not entirely my cup of tea, I think I never got over my first fishing experience. I grew up in Florida, and one weekend I went out with my father and a friend of his from work. I was 7 or 8 or so. Anyway, I got my pole in the water and all, and lo & behold, something was tugging on it! So I reeled it in, and reeled it in and eventually something emerged out of the water. I froze, and stared in horror, unable to parse what I was seeing. I had caught a baby hammerhead shark! Kind of cool, but at the time it was like pulling a monster out of your shoe or something.

Cap'n your ship is spotless!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 11:19 pm

henpecked wrote:
KayLayUh wrote:
Vicki5280 wrote:
zazanomore wrote:

Hey Kay, It's not that different than hiking in the woods, common sense goes along way, and i'm way over sinking boats.Vicki , come on down.!!

Yep. Cal was lost while backcountry hiking last summer. Had to call out S&R for him. I had a couple of sleepless nights, but he learned a lot and hasn't stopped hiking. The way I see it, if I'm smart and take all of the reasonable precautions for the situation I'm in, if something happens and I get dead, then it's just my time. Fear of death won't stop me from living life. For some people, a full life entails a certain amount of risk and it's up to that individual to determine the amount of risk they're willing to take. Personally, you'll NEVER catch me on the bouncy end of a bungee cord or camping while hanging from the side of a rock wall!!!

On the upside, I have a tremendous amount of faith in Richard, and if not him - the U.S. Coasties!! LOL!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 9:49 am

henpecked wrote:

Yeah, I'm not much for open bodies of water. I'd rather die any other way than drown. Even flying over open bodies of water makes me nervous. If I were on the Miracle on the Hudson plane, I would've been the only fatality because I would have had a panic attack and heart attack as soon as I saw the water coming.

I'm not even afraid of the water. Not being able to see what's in the water below me is the problem. I even went snorkeling once to try and get over it, but an angelfish got way too close for comfort and I went running out of the ocean.

That said, I don't like the idea of hiking either. It's nice to see wildlife and such, but I'd rather see them in a zoo where I can't be mauled by an angry bear.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 1:53 pm

Went deep sea fishing once when I was a little kid. I can barely remember anything except running around the boat saving the bait fish off the floor and setting them "free" (chumming the waters!).

We were planning on going deep sea fishing this summer. Would love to catch tuna. Evil Chicken would probably jump a tuna and gnaw on it while it's still alive, much like lioness on a gazelle (regardless who's line the tuna's on). Not likely the fishing trip is going to happen.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 2:08 pm

patdbunny wrote:
Went deep sea fishing once when I was a little kid. I can barely remember anything except running around the boat saving the bait fish off the floor and setting them "free" (chumming the waters!).

We were planning on going deep sea fishing this summer. Would love to catch tuna. Evil Chicken would probably jump a tuna and gnaw on it while it's still alive, much like lioness on a gazelle (regardless who's line the tuna's on). Not likely the fishing trip is going to happen.
TUNA!!! Happy Happy Happy That's one of my lifetime dreams. Go on a deep sea fishing trip, catch a tuna, gnaw, fall asleep happy. And if I don't catch anything, I'll wander around deck and stare forlornly at other people's catches until they take pity on me and give me something.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm thinking we should start planning our first Paradise Party in Tampa next summer. I'll volunteer to organize if everyone else will volunteer to help with fundraising. I'll bet we could find someplace that would give us a group rate on a block of hotel rooms, and I know there are a few good restaurants and beaches where we could waste some time!

If we got creative (and organized) enough at some point in the (way-far undefined) future, maybe we could sponsor some kind of convention (bird toys anyone?).

But for now, I say we just think about meeting up and having fun!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 5:35 pm

Vicki5280 wrote:
I'm thinking we should start planning our first Paradise Party in Tampa next summer. I'll volunteer to organize if everyone else will volunteer to help with fundraising. I'll bet we could find someplace that would give us a group rate on a block of hotel rooms, and I know there are a few good restaurants and beaches where we could waste some time!

If we got creative (and organized) enough at some point in the (way-far undefined) future, maybe we could sponsor some kind of convention (bird toys anyone?).

But for now, I say we just think about meeting up and having fun!

There's a higher concentration of members in California, and San Diego is really nice. I believe there's only two members in Florida.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 7:09 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
I'd rather die any other way than drown.
For me, its fire. I don't mind fires in the least, but when I think of ways I do NOT want to die, it's burning. Maybe I was one of those women burned in the witch trials in Salem in my previous life? LOL! I'm also unreasonably scared of flying and heights. I don't even want to talk about how I feel getting on a plane, and any place with any kind of a sheer vertical drop? Ugghhh.... That's a whole 'nother conversation! LOL!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Whew.....I made it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whew.....I made it   Whew.....I made it Empty

Back to top Go down

Whew.....I made it
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next