Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

singly kept birds

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

singly kept birds Empty
PostSubject: singly kept birds   singly kept birds EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 12:09 am

not sure where to put this...
so it seems as if rainbow is never content unless she can see us. When we are in sight shes perfectly happy to do her own thing but when I'm in another room I hear her complain and contact call and screech. I'll reply to her contact calls but that never settles her down. to your guys experience, would adding another bird that is at least in veiw of her cage help? and for other one bird households, how do your birds do? I wouldn't be able to get another bird for at least a year (unless I just happened "find" a bird outside..). What species would mesh well with a gcc(and be good apartement birds)? I'm thinking cockatiel, lovie, another small conure, or even a budgie or two.
it seems like some birds or species are just more flock oriented then others (though my 'tiel had no interest in other birds what so ever) and I guess birds in general don't like to be alone..
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

singly kept birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: singly kept birds   singly kept birds EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 12:32 am

Quote :
when I'm in another room I hear her complain and contact call and screech.
Is there someone there who she dosen't like ? Send them in to talk to her when she starts screeching .We've had good luck with this lately and it works quickly.
[quote]would adding another bird that is at least in veiw of her cage help
I doubt it,a friend maybe.Which leads to your next thought, a companion.I think a tiel would be a good choice ,but consider keeping two birds happy that don't like each other, or one liked the other but not visa versa .i wouldn't reccomend a 2nd bird as a companion for the first,not a GCC,tiel bugie maybe . If the problem goes away i fear you've lost a pet.I'd try and fix the problem if i could,i see miraculous things happen with birds, and if screeching gets attention ,that's why she's doing it.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

singly kept birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: singly kept birds   singly kept birds EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 1:01 am

Some birds I think do fine as a single bird. Some I've come to believe are too social to be alone. I'm not completely sure on the GCCs, but the suns and jendays I think a companion of some sort keeps them calmer. But then again, MandaDPanda's sun is just fine by himself. Ducky has Sam (and now Eric), a tiel, as a companion. I personally like a tiel companion, but my conures have all grown up with tiels around.

Your bird may not like the idea of another bird encroaching in on his territory and family. Would be nice if you could find a "loaner" bird somewhere to see if things worked out. I did that for a lady that got a jenday from me last year. They kept the loaner tiel because it worked out really well for them.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

singly kept birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: singly kept birds   singly kept birds EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 1:15 am

Do keep in mind that some Tiels are VERY noisy..
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

singly kept birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: singly kept birds   singly kept birds EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 1:23 am

henpecked wrote:
Quote :
when I'm in another room I hear her complain and contact call and screech.
Is there someone there who she dosen't like ? Send them in to talk to her when she starts screeching .We've had good luck with this lately and it works quickly.
unfortunately she likes everyone! she'll let any random stranger give her a scratch. She even likes my dad even though she bites him harder than anyone else, when he walks in she just gets louder. Rolling Eyes interesting thought though...
Quote :
Quote :
would adding another bird that is at least in veiw of her cage help
I doubt it,a friend maybe.Which leads to your next thought, a companion.I think a tiel would be a good choice ,but consider keeping two birds happy that don't like each other, or one liked the other but not visa versa .i wouldn't reccomend a 2nd bird as a companion for the first,not a GCC,tiel bugie maybe . If the problem goes away i fear you've lost a pet.I'd try and fix the problem if i could,i see miraculous things happen with birds, and if screeching gets attention ,that's why she's doing it.
yeah, I'm afraid of the worst case scenarios... I want the best case scenario to happen where she likes the other bird, the other bird likes her and they both still like me! Well, dunno if that'll happen... would a conure be likely to become less tame if they had a birdie buddy they were close to?
I'm doing my best to discourage excess screeching but its an uphill battle, seems like...
patdbunny wrote:
Some birds I think do fine as a single bird. Some I've come to believe are too social to be alone. I'm not completely sure on the GCCs, but the suns and jendays I think a companion of some sort keeps them calmer. But then again, MandaDPanda's sun is just fine by himself. Ducky has Sam (and now Eric), a tiel, as a companion. I personally like a tiel companion, but my conures have all grown up with tiels around.
cockatiels are supposed to be very social flock birds but mine never showed any interest in the other 'tiels or birds she met. Rainbow on the other hand always seems interested in other birds and likes watching the finches at the bird feeder.
patdbunny wrote:

Your bird may not like the idea of another bird encroaching in on his territory and family. Would be nice if you could find a "loaner" bird somewhere to see if things worked out. I did that for a lady that got a jenday from me last year. They kept the loaner tiel because it worked out really well for them.
I'm tempted to steal one of my friends tiels but they are all so antisocial, I'd rather try it with a bird that was at least hand tamed. maybe I'll bird sit for one of them if they go on vacation...
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

singly kept birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: singly kept birds   singly kept birds EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 3:25 pm

FWIW, Scooter seemed quite OK when he was a single bird. Even now, I think he has mixed feelings about Scotty. They do occaionally contact call each other when they are in different parts of the house, but I don't sense any great attachment.
Back to top Go down

singly kept birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: singly kept birds   singly kept birds EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 4:12 pm

GCCs ar just like that, I think. They like to be with people, she sees y'all as her flock. My GCC doesn't give a flying fig about my Quaker or Lovebird, he just wants his people.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

singly kept birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: singly kept birds   singly kept birds Empty

Back to top Go down

singly kept birds
Page 1 of 1