Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How much sunshine do your birds get?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

How much sunshine do your birds get? Empty
PostSubject: How much sunshine do your birds get?   How much sunshine do your birds get? EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 12:43 am

It is essential for our birds to obtain Vitamin D via direct sunlight, as the most reliable method to help absorb calcium in their diets.

I try to take mine outside at least a few times a week for 20mins- 2hrs, in/out sunlight, with a few cold hose downs on 'shower' mode. I definitely notice their feathers being shinier, softer, and better groomed after such outing.

How much direct sunlight are your birds exposed to?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: How much sunshine do your birds get?   How much sunshine do your birds get? EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 2:15 pm

Probably the hosing has more effect on the feather condition and grooming than the direct sunlight since the hosing makes them "brush their hair".

Sunlight/UV stimulates uropygial gland to secrete its goo which contains vitamin D, which is ingested by the bird when preening. I guess the goo might contribute to feather condition. Not sure.

Varies how much sun my birds are exposed to. The outdoor ones get several hours a day as their cages are only partially shaded so they have access to sun most of the time if they choose it. The indoor birds get several hours a day depending on where the sun's coming in from which window (open).
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: How much sunshine do your birds get?   How much sunshine do your birds get? EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 3:07 pm

I use Avian Sun full spectrum bulbs on a timer for a few hours each day. I'd LIKE to get them out more, but the exposure has to really be direct, no plastic or glass in between bird and rays. A window won't do it. Now that Scooter is starting to settle down, I can look into getting them outside in the travel cage or carrier more.

The AvianSun bulbs DO produce measureable UV-A and UV-B. There was a debate about that on another forum, and these bulbs do have a special coating that does flouresce in that part of the spectrum. I was able to get a spectrum from the company and get permission to post it, so I'll repeat that here. The drawback is that the bulbs are fairly expensive and they have a very limited lifetime ~6months, after which they still make visible light but the UV production declines. The bulbs have to be placed pretty close to the cage. Sunlight is cheaper.How much sunshine do your birds get? AvianSun_50_Graph-1
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: How much sunshine do your birds get?   How much sunshine do your birds get? EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 10:02 pm

rainbow gets outside time at least once a week, especially after a bath, but I'd like to take her out more. when I let my vegetable garden wither and die she doesn't come outside as often because I generally bring her out in the small cage while I water and such.
Back to top Go down
wyspur
Parrotlet
wyspur

My Birds : 7 parakeets, 6 tiels, and two crazy Caiques
wyspurcreations is a sanctuary for small birds with special needs.

PostSubject: Re: How much sunshine do your birds get?   How much sunshine do your birds get? EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 11:01 pm

I throw mine out the window several
times a day when the weather is warm.
I use FSL for my smaller birds that don't
go outside. I installed am access door
on my aviary.
How much sunshine do your birds get? XvpvlQe5kWI2r7wAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
Back to top Go down
http://www.wyspurcreations.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much sunshine do your birds get?   How much sunshine do your birds get? Empty

Back to top Go down

How much sunshine do your birds get?
Page 1 of 1