Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Avian CPR.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Avian CPR. Empty
PostSubject: Avian CPR.   Avian CPR. EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 10:01 am

This is geared mostly toward small birds, particularly budgies, since this is what I have experience with. Modifications will help with larger birds.

If your bird is in need of rescue efforts, it's always good to know Avian CPR. Use this if the bird is not breathing. If the bird is breathing, chest compressions may be the only thing necessary.

To begin, hold the bird in the palm of your non-dominant hand, supporting it's head between your thumb and forefinger.

Listen for breath sounds. If you aren't sure you hear breathing, look at it's chest. If the chest is moving up and down, the bird is breathing.

If there are no breath sounds, put your mouth over the bird's beak. For smaller birds, such as budgies, your mouth should cover the nares as well. In larger birds, you need to use your finger to cover the nares.

Breathe slowly into the bird's beak. Watch or feel for lung expansion. It's pretty obvious that air is getting to where it needs to go. Do not, under any circumstances, breath forcefully.

For every breath, do five chest compressions. To do this, press the keel bone gently but firmly. You need to do this with enough pressure to stimulate the heart to beat, but not so forcefully that you break the keel bone.

At this point. watch for signs the bird is able to breathe on it's own. If you're not seeing these signs, repeat these steps.

If your efforts to revive the bird have worked, you will need to quickly get the bird into it's carrier and seen by a vet. If you have any way to form an air chamber, this is best. If not, you may need to continue CPR efforts while on the way to a vet.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Avian CPR. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avian CPR.   Avian CPR. EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 1:22 pm

Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Avian CPR. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avian CPR.   Avian CPR. EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 1:28 pm

Yeah, those links explain it better.

I had read the first one a couple of weeks ago. If I hadn't, I probably wouldn't have even thought to try it this morning. It's definitely worth knowing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Avian CPR. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avian CPR.   Avian CPR. Empty

Back to top Go down

Avian CPR.
Page 1 of 1