Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens Empty
PostSubject: Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens   Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 3:58 am

I came across this today, as quoted by E.B. Cravens. I thought Cape owners and potential owners should take a look.

"To a bird, they do not like other parrots (sometimes even their own kind if not raised correctly). Capes are one of the most jealous psittacines we have discovered, right up there with hawkheads and some large lories. Our cape young babies get along okay with others in the house, and if raised into an environment where other birds already are living. Capes are one of the few full sized parrots we have encountered that will go after budgerigars in their cage!"

Link from which the quote was taken:
http://www.parrots.org/index.php/forumsandexperts/answers/author/ebcravens/P16/
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens   Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 9:55 am

If I had wanted a Cape before, that last line about the budgies would've killed it for me. Then again, I don't think I'd feel comfortable keeping any small birds in the same room with large birds.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens   Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 2:11 pm

EB is a fascinating guy and he has huge experience, but he also has very idiosyncratic opinions. I would definitely study his opinions, but I would balance his comments against those of other breeders. He is also moderately anti-pellet, pro-co-parenting and thinks Capes should eat lots of nuts. I'm not saying he's wrong, mind you, but his views tend to the extreme and are often counter to other breeders.

And don't forget Lola, the Cape whose best friend is a budgie. I think her owner is not on this forum, but she was on the other one and is on the Cape Parrot Forum. The introduction was accidental, but the two are best friends.

Although we don't let Scotty and Scooter interact, I've never seen any indication that Scotty would go after Scooter aggressively, and he has every reason to be jealous.

It's the Senegals I've heard many stories of going after other birds. Perhaps pois in general are more likely to bird aggressive than other parrots?
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens   Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 2:15 pm

I was talking to Coco today (Lola's owner) and she also disagrees with Cravens.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens   Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 2:25 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
EB is a fascinating guy and he has huge experience, but he also has very idiosyncratic opinions. I would definitely study his opinions, but I would balance his comments against those of other breeders. He is also moderately anti-pellet, pro-co-parenting and thinks Capes should eat of nuts. I'm not saying he's wrong, mind you, but his views tend to the extreme and are often counter to other breeders.
Agreed. While I respect his experience and opinions, I've read some of his stuff and wondered where he came up with it. Keep in mind that different breeders' different set-ups and husbandry practices will influence behaviors, breeding patterns, and other things with the birds. You know, what's that saying about opinions and a certain anatomical feature? That's right - Opinions are like noses, and everyone's got one.

ScooterNScotty wrote:
And don't forget Lola, the Cape whose best friend is a budgie. I think her owner is not on this forum, but she was on the other one and is on the Cape Parrot Forum. The introduction was accidental, but the two are best friends.

Although we don't let Scotty and Scooter interact, I've never seen any indication that Scotty would go after Scooter aggressively, and he has every reason to be jealous.
IRNs also are not known to be good with other birds. My Xavier is not "fond" of other birds, but he's very tolerant much to my surprise. So I do believe it is more of an individual case by case basis; but, yes, some species are "generally" known to dislike other birds. It's like saying all Asians are math whizzes. I can tell you right now, I wear sandals just so I can count on my toes if necessary.

ScooterNScotty wrote:
It's the Senegals I've heard many stories of going after other birds. Perhaps pois in general are more likely to bird aggressive than other parrots?
The smaller pois, especially Senegals, are known for killing their mates. That might have something to do with being overall more aggressive.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens   Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 2:27 pm

Why can't they just love each other? Kaylayuh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens   Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens Empty

Back to top Go down

Important Cape Parrot info, quote E.B. Cravens
Page 1 of 1