Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Noise level comparisons

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Noise level comparisons Empty
PostSubject: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 7:03 pm

I'd really like to make a compilation of comparative noise levels between parrot species. The term, "loud" and "quiet" are thrown around too much, and such levels really are subjective. People complain that their Cockatiels are loud, and I definitely would not call them a loud species when creatures like Cockatoos exist. Maybe we can come up with a few distinctive sounds to compare the birdie calls to, or compare species sounds to other species sounds?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 7:15 pm

M2- Semi-truck slamming on its breaks in front of your face.

Jendays/suns - Coach's sport's whistle. When I have people with noise concerns, I tell them to give their kid a sports whistle and the child's to toot on the whistle randomly for 15-20 minutes a.m. and p.m. and then on occasion a toot here and there during the day, including right in someone else's ear. I tell them if they can stand that and don't want to beat their kid too death in 2 weeks they should come back and get a conure from me.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 7:20 pm

I think I would put my Cockatiel at about half the volume of the Coach's whistle.
My Budgie gets to about a half to 2/3 of the Cockatiel when she cranks up the angry Budgie squawks.
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

My Birds : Captain Jack Parrot: Green-cheeked Conure

Cheeky/Sir Cheeks - Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 7:44 pm

patdbunny wrote:
M2- Semi-truck slamming on its breaks in front of your face.

Jendays/suns - Coach's sport's whistle. When I have people with noise concerns, I tell them to give their kid a sports whistle and the child's to toot on the whistle randomly for 15-20 minutes a.m. and p.m. and then on occasion a toot here and there during the day, including right in someone else's ear. I tell them if they can stand that and don't want to beat their kid too death in 2 weeks they should come back and get a conure from me.

LOL!!!! I LOVE THAT!

I would compare my GCC's noise level to.....a car alarm going off outside your house.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 8:46 pm

WPT has recordings of calls. Of course you won't be able to tell how loud the real thing is or how frequent it will vocalize.
http://www.parrots.org/index.php/encyclopedia/profile/grey_parrot/
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 9:16 pm

4 Budgies - a bunch of mosquitoes flying constantly over your head Wink
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 12:54 pm

I agree that toos (of all species) are the loudest. From studies, it is said their call can be heard over three miles away and when you get them in groups and they get going, you better have hearing protection available. After them, for me at least, its a toss up between a macaw and a conure. I think they are equally as loud, but conures calls are piercing where macaws calls are just plain deafening.

I equate macaw calls as nearly sonic. When they get on a call binge, there's a weird pattern/rhythm to it and if you allow for the pain and listen, it makes an almost digital feedback in your head.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 1:07 pm

So you think Sunnies are as loud as a Macaw? thinking
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 1:34 pm

Yes and no. They are as loud but its a different kind of loud. Sunnies have an ear piercing call, its very high pitched. Macaws have more of a robust, lower spectrum call, if that makes any sense. Its not ear piecing, but its sound signatures are headache enducing because of the low level feedback you get from it.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 1:38 pm

Mmm feedback loops! Smile
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Yup, like I said, if you can stand the pain and allow them to call continually for a minute or longer, you pick up an almost digital, rhythmic feedback. Its kind of cool, though your ears will ring for about an hour afterwards. Shocked
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 1:55 pm

I do work in the sound industry, I WORK with those rhythmic loops! Sine waves, Square waves, Triangle waves, Sawtooth waves.. wheee!
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:06 pm

Awesome... macaws put off (IMO) more of a sine wave. Just read an article that said Mollucan toos have the loudest call at 135 decibles and that macaws are at about 115. Haven't found anything about conures yet, still looking.

Last edited by Vikki on Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:07 pm

Those M2s are BARELY beneath the deafening pain threshold! affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:09 pm

I know! At the rescue we have them in a separate enclosed room and have earmuff protection to wear when we are working in there. You can always find the rescue veterans (like me) who just walk in and don't seem to notice the noise.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:13 pm

And unsuspecting people buy these babies from petstores for their kids....
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:13 pm

Just found a report online... sun conures clock in at 80 decibles, so there you go.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:15 pm

One of my favorite lines that I've heard when someone asked "should I buy a cockatoo for my kids/family, what are they like?" is ... a cockatoo is akin to giving your four year old 2 cans of monster, and handful of pixie straws and a knife. LOL Pretty accurate.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:19 pm

And a trumpet and a foghorn!
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:40 pm

And an open bottle of talcum powder...
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Vikki wrote:
One of my favorite lines that I've heard when someone asked "should I buy a cockatoo for my kids/family, what are they like?" is ... a cockatoo is akin to giving your four year old 2 cans of monster, and handful of pixie straws and a knife. LOL Pretty accurate.
LOL!! I like that!

. . . and let the kid go carve on your antique china cabinet. . .

Vikki - Where are you finding the decibel info? I'd like like to post on my blog.

Last edited by patdbunny on Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:45 pm

...or your own flesh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noise level comparisons   Noise level comparisons Empty

Back to top Go down

Noise level comparisons
Page 1 of 1