Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tell Me About African Grey Noise

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Tell Me About African Grey Noise Empty
PostSubject: Tell Me About African Grey Noise   Tell Me About African Grey Noise EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 6:38 pm

When people say African Greys never shut up....how true is that? Also, do they often scream or are they prone to becoming screamers?
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: Tell Me About African Grey Noise   Tell Me About African Grey Noise EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 6:40 pm

My mom's mimics a lot, but only by himself when nobody's in the room. I can't say I've ever heard that they're screamers and my moms DEFINITELY isn't. And it's not even like he's out a lot. He'd certainly have an excuse to if he WAS a screamer, but he's really quiet! Congo Grey
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Tell Me About African Grey Noise   Tell Me About African Grey Noise EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 7:23 pm

They tend to be incessant mimickers. Ask Roz for further proof.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Tell Me About African Grey Noise   Tell Me About African Grey Noise EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 8:02 pm

I definitely wouldn't consider them "screamers". Incessant mimics. Mine did have an uncanny ability to figure out what noise(s) bugged the crap out of me and would do it. I "thought" I wasn't reacting and was ignoring the "bad" noise(s), but I think I must have had some sort of involuntary twitch that tipped her off.

I've lived w/ greys for about 18 years now. The non-stop mimicking can grate on the nerves, but I don't need a straight jacket and a padded room yet.

I guess - Do you ever really want to tell your kids to just shut the freak up?! But in general you know you couldn't live without them? It's pretty much like that. . . for the next 50 years.

Adding: Other than the growl and a slight squack, I don't really know what a grey's natural "screams" sound like.

Adding some more: The two I have now are technically "tame" but I got them when they were several years old and I don't have a close bonded relationship with them. So while they do mimic all day long, they don't do any noises that are particularly annoying as the relationship is not there for them to want to set me off for attention. I think my grey wanted to annoy me for whatever reason - in a good way - like your kid doing something they know annoys you for attention good or bad. Does that make any sense?

Last edited by patdbunny on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Tell Me About African Grey Noise   Tell Me About African Grey Noise EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 8:08 pm

What a great way of putting it Roz! I don't think I'd mind constant chatter and noises.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: Tell Me About African Grey Noise   Tell Me About African Grey Noise EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 8:15 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
What a great way of putting it Roz! I don't think I'd mind constant chatter and noises.
The mimicry is uncanny and I suppose depending on what they mimic, it could be irritating. I think it's funny though, I would certainly take that over an incessant screamer.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Tell Me About African Grey Noise   Tell Me About African Grey Noise EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 8:20 pm

I would rather take a few loud squawks a day, over constant moderately-loud noises all day!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tell Me About African Grey Noise   Tell Me About African Grey Noise EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 8:22 pm

I'd like to think I'm pretty good natured when it comes to stuff like that. I wish I could bird sit an African Grey for a while.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Tell Me About African Grey Noise   Tell Me About African Grey Noise EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Here's another possible test of your tolerance -
You know that top 40 hit they keep playing on every single radio station for weeks on end? Can you stand it or do you want to puke and rip your hair out?

I can listen to the same song 50 times in a row and not really be bothered by it. . . even if it's a song I don't like.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: Tell Me About African Grey Noise   Tell Me About African Grey Noise EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 1:27 am

patdbunny wrote:
Here's another possible test of your tolerance -
You know that top 40 hit they keep playing on every single radio station for weeks on end? Can you stand it or do you want to puke and rip your hair out?
oh no- I guess an african grey is not for me! I'd want one that didn't speak preferably, just mimic sounds like whistling, etc . so far I like listening to birds chatter though so maybe I wouldn't mind. I just wouldn't play the radio around any bird prone to repeating it...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tell Me About African Grey Noise   Tell Me About African Grey Noise EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 8:54 am

Nah, that doesn't really get to me. I mean a few songs do, but in general not so much. I have had the same songs on my ipod for years now- granted all songs I like and picked Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tell Me About African Grey Noise   Tell Me About African Grey Noise Empty

Back to top Go down

Tell Me About African Grey Noise
Page 1 of 1