Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bird's Music Preference?

Go down 
+7
Nevermore
MandaDPanda
GlassOnion
evil chicken
patdbunny
atlanon
kaeladedah
11 posters
AuthorMessage
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Bird's Music Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 2:16 pm

Do your bird(s) have music preferences? Can they even have a music preference?

My budgies don't seem to care, but Cheney Bird seems to really like female artists and male country singers. He does not seem to like rap/hip hop and will scream through it.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 2:23 pm

I have to say, as a musician/singer this has been on my mind CONSTANTLY. You see the youtube videos of parrots dancing to "music" and it turns out to all be rap/hiphop, so it's good to hear there's a bird out there that doesn't seem to like it!

My husband and I both play guitar and I play a few other various instruments and there's constantly singing in my house from at least one of us. I'm interested to see if that affects birds' tendancy to be better talkers/singers or if he'll find a particular type of music he likes. Definitely curious!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 2:45 pm

I've played different genres of music for my birds off and on over the years - rock, opera, easy listening, jazz, classical. Never really noticed any reactions unless the pitch of the song/music was higher. I played the whistled tune "Twisted Nerve" to them hoping they'd learn it. The whistling appears to catch their attention.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 2:50 pm

I can't get Cheney Bird to whistle for the life of me. Probably because I'm an awful whistler. But I've love if he could wolf-whistle at the tv when Matthew Grey Gubler comes on Criminal Minds. Wink
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:35 pm

When I sing along to some songs it seems to grab Sam's attention - he'll start whistling and chattering along. Mostly songs by female artists or at a higher pitch. (I think that's what it is anyway; I'll need to pay more attention to what songs set him off.) Ducky doesn't seem to care about music at all unless it's dark out, in which case he'll yell at me to turn it off.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 4:11 pm

When I play electronica, my birds think it's another birds and start screaming. :|
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 4:17 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
When I play electronica, my birds think it's another birds and start screaming. :|

LOL. I've not played electronica for them yet. I'm thinking that they wouldn't like it since they don't like Nine Inch Nails and scream like banshees during it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 5:06 pm

Both my gals love Jimmy Buffett and the Beatles. Juniper LOVES Justin Bieber. :suspect:
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Aries likes Frank Sinatra. I know...it's quite funny. He also happens to like Call of Duty sounds. Weirds me out a bit.
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

My Birds : Captain Jack Parrot: Green-cheeked Conure

Cheeky/Sir Cheeks - Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 10:53 pm

Classical; Instrumental. Jack is a 'cultured' bird apparently. Back when I was on my own, I would leave the radio on for him while I was at work. And when I got home...I started to notice changes in his mood depending on what station I had left playing. Rap, rock or anything like that...and he would be ANGRY when got home. Very bitey. Then one day I left it on the classical channel....He was so RELAXED and HAPPY when I got home. Now I intentionally go searching for classical whenever i need to leave the radio on for him.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 10:58 pm

I didn't even think about it affecting their mood. I love classical music but I don't listen to it often. I'll have to play some for Cheney Bird and watch his moods.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 12:33 am

The macaws like classical, the little guys like raggae and bellydance drums.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 9:28 am

What ever I'm dancing to, they love.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 3:45 pm

You all know how are budgies: among 4 of mine there is 3 males, which means vocal, vocal, vocal. They react for any music, sometimes I think they make competition who or what can be louder (radio or them) Wink And Chico Cockatiel 1 tends to whistle when she like something- didn't figured it out what's her favorite music.
Back to top Go down
coldtrance
Parrotlet
coldtrance

My Birds : Im lonely without my Sammy.
On the market for a new FID.

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Shiva likes anything rock related. But she wi sing to almost anything. She just reacts to rock more. My tiel (sorry I have to rename her haha) likes reggae and freaks out when play metal and rock. She screams and shakes like s chihuhua.
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:05 pm

Hm... I wasn't really paying attention until this thread got started, so I've just noticed Ducky seems to like mellow instrumental songs. He'll fluff up and tilt his head to listen or start preening. Songs with singing or sounds that aren't very smooth (a.k.a. a good 3/4 of what I listen to Rolling Eyes ) make him antsy. It makes sense I guess, because of the energy level of the music. Duck's a spaz as it is; add hyper sounding music and he nuts up, but add quiet music and he calms down. He doesn't like slow songs with singing either though. Maybe because those have instances where they are more energetic, or the instruments are hitting slightly more complex series' of notes. Or maybe he dislikes the singing itself.

Interesting, interesting! I'll have to see what he thinks of Vivaldi next.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:12 pm

evil chicken wrote:

I have a playlist of the Vitamin String Quartet just because I assumed it was good bird-home-alone music. I haven't really been able to gauge how much he likes different genres, but he likes when the violins play high notes Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:20 pm

LyzGrace wrote:
evil chicken wrote:

I have a playlist of the Vitamin String Quartet just because I assumed it was good bird-home-alone music. I haven't really been able to gauge how much he likes different genres, but he likes when the violins play high notes Very Happy

I used to work in a music school. I have to say that out of all the instruments, violins are my absolute least favorite. I've heard so many improperly tuned violins that I can't even take the well played ones.
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:36 pm

LyzGrace wrote:
evil chicken wrote:

I've never heard their music, but I've read about them and really should give them a try - for both me and the birds Smile
I just played Vivaldi's Winter and Ducky completely ignored it in favor of chewing a scrap of paper up. So much for the huge influence music was seeming to have on him Rolling Eyes

KayLayUh wrote:
I used to work in a music school. I have to say that out of all the instruments, violins are my absolute least favorite. I've heard so many improperly tuned violins that I can't even take the well played ones.
Aw, I love violins. I love most instruments, but that's beside the point. lol
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:39 pm

evil chicken wrote:

I loved most instruments, too. That was before I heard beginners play most of them. Awful little brats, I tell you.

My personal favorite is the cello.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:49 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
evil chicken wrote:

I loved most instruments, too. That was before I heard beginners play most of them. Awful little brats, I tell you.

My personal favorite is the cello.

OH sweet mother I LOVE the cello. Nate plays bass and one day when I have money I'm gonna buy a cello and make him learn it. I have a violin and keep convincing myself to learn to play it, it's just hard because I play guitar and the violin is the bottom 4 strings of the guitar flipped over. Very confusing. Shocked

I can definitely understand not liking it from listening to beginners play it... violin's probably the grossest beginner instrument ever. My family could tell you more about that, though Embarassed Talented violinists give me the chills, though, every time I see one I just want to pick one up and be able to play it like they do. It's such a passionate instrument.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:51 pm

I saw a cello, violin, piano trio when I was still working there that was amazing. Absolutely beautiful music. But beginner violinists have made me hate the violin forever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bird's Music Preference?   Bird's Music Preference? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bird's Music Preference?
Page 1 of 1