Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

JJ's behavior on our Tx trip

Go down 
+3
patdbunny
kaeladedah
VickiNumbers
7 posters
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

JJ's behavior on our Tx trip Empty
PostSubject: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 6:12 pm

Our trip to Tx was the first real trip that JJ's been on. I've taken her in the car numerous times on trips up to about eight hours in length (in the car for about 4-5 of those hours), but we've always returned home at the end.

On this trip, she could tell things were different. She was clingy all day on Sunday while I was packing - absolutely would not leave my shoulder. The only time she left my shoulder was to go sit on top of her cage and watch me while I was working around the area where her cage was. When I left her sight, she flew after me.

The odd part of all this is that from the time we got in the car to leave until we returned home four days later, she treated me like a leper! She preferred spending time with anyone and EVERYONE else but me. The only time she was interested in me was at bedtime - when she and I usually snuggle up together and/or play while I lie down on the mattress and she rolls around like a little puppy. I couldn't get her to stay with me for love or m... mangos! I almost started getting sad and depressed, and would have if I hadn't reminded myself that I knew she might choose someone else at some point in time, and I'd already decided it was OK.

Then late Thursday evening we returned home. She went to bed as usual, and when she woke up on Friday she was back to being my bird... to the point of attacking my daughter last night and my husband today - the same people she preferred over me while we were gone.

Has anyone had any experiences like that? Do you have any explanations for those behaviors? Guesses? I'm pretty bewildered myself.
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 6:15 pm

It was Texas. Everything is wrong in Texas. Wink
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 6:19 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
It was Texas. Everything is wrong in Texas. Wink
Of course. Why didn't I think of that? Rolling Eyes You are a font of avian knowledge. Wink
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 6:22 pm

VickiNumbers wrote:
Of course. Why didn't I think of that? Rolling Eyes You are a font of avian knowledge. Wink

I know, I know.

But seriously, birds are weird that way and who knows why they do what they do. She could've been angry that you took her so far away from home. She could've been confused as to what was going on. She could've just decided that she liked other people better than you on neutral territory.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 6:34 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
She could've just decided that she liked other people better than you on neutral territory.
LOL, great! What does that say about our relationship? "Mom, I only like you when we're at home. When we're not at home, I like everyone else."

I wonder if I could finagle a relationship like that with my husband? LOL!

OT - BTW Kaela, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with a GCC who uses my head as a perch! LOL!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 6:41 pm

VickiNumbers wrote:
LOL, great! What does that say about our relationship? "Mom, I only like you when we're at home. When we're not at home, I like everyone else."

I wonder if I could finagle a relationship like that with my husband? LOL!

I've never taken Cheney Bird in a car or farther than walking distance, but he was driven here from Maryland by the rescue I adopted him from. He's also been driven other places as a kind of show bird for outreach programs by that rescue.

The first time he'll be in any kind of vehicle with me is when he, the budgies, my boyfriend and I are moving across country. California is a lot further away than Maryland and I'm assuming we're going to be in whatever vehicle we decide to rent for the trip. I'd be interested to know if this is a conure thing, or if JJ is just a weirdo that way. Then again, conures ARE weirdos.. so, who knows.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Birds are nuts. Seriously. That's pretty much the explanation. So long as they're not a danger to themselves or others, I don't over think their behaviors much.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 8:09 pm

Alrighty then. I'll just go with weird bird thing then. It's as good an explanation as any I suppose! LOL!

Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 10:10 pm

It's a little like Scooter being mad at me when I've been on a trip. Ive wondered if somehow he doesn't recognize me at first, but I don't really think that's exactly it. I'm beginning to think there is something funny about their sense of context.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 11:18 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
I'm beginning to think there is something funny about their sense of context.
That's an interesting theory... I wonder if any research has been done on that?
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 3:30 am

VickiNumbers wrote:
Then late Thursday evening we returned home. She went to bed as usual, and when she woke up on Friday she was back to being my bird... to the point of attacking my daughter last night and my husband today

I just have this part of the experience. Merlin seems to hate my oldest son and my wife. Though if my youngest boy is around I cease to exist, Merlin just wants to be with him. Then he'll bite him on the fingers or the ear and then my son doesn't want him around, and Merlin can't seem to figure out why. Birds are weird.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 9:59 pm

Just read a behavioral article that *might* explain the behavior.
At home JJ's in her territory and you're being identified as her mate so she's possibly exhibiting territorial aggression.
On the trip away from home, she's not in her perceived territory so she doesn't exhibit territorial aggression.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 11:47 pm

But at ?7-9? months old, would she have selected a "mate" already?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 12:15 am

VickiNumbers wrote:
But at ?7-9? months old, would she have selected a "mate" already?
Dunno. Maybe a mate preference. Ducky's only 10 months old and exhibiting sexual behaviors. He started exhibiting sexual behaviors at about 6 months. It's very young, but it happens.
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:27 am

do the smaller bird species become sexually mature earlier than the larger species?
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 4:44 am

moa wrote:
do the smaller bird species become sexually mature earlier than the larger species?
That's what I think, comparing articles about different species of parrots. The same goes with time of eggs laying, weening time, etc...
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 9:34 am

moa wrote:

Margaret wrote:
That's what I think, comparing articles about different species of parrots. The same goes with time of eggs laying, weening time, etc...

I would think it would be adventageous for smaller birds to become sexually mature at earlier ages because they often have shorter lifespans. A cockatiel would need to become sexually mature and able to reproduce sooner than a macaw because a cockatiel lives for 12 to 15 years and a macaw lives for much, much longer. It's all about perpetuating the species.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 2:02 pm

moa wrote:

They do. Gallerstein's book tabulates averages, but unfortunately lumps all conures together. I think Scooter hit maturity between 1 and 2 years of age. Scotty seems to have been mature when we got him, but we don't know his age. I think he is 4, but not certain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JJ's behavior on our Tx trip   JJ's behavior on our Tx trip Empty

Back to top Go down

JJ's behavior on our Tx trip
Page 1 of 1