Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)

Go down 
+6
ScooterNScotty
VickiNumbers
henpecked
zazanomore
dusty
GlassOnion
10 posters
AuthorMessage
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 12:17 am

I think I have OSA Sad
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 12:42 am

i know i have sleep apnia...i have a cpac but never use it...thanks for the clarification...only the capt would notice....lol
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 9:59 am

My step dad has sleep apnia. He has the big mask, but doesn't wear it because it's "uncomfortable".
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 10:02 am

zazanomore wrote:
My step dad has sleep apnia. He has the big mask, but doesn't wear it because it's "uncomfortable".

me too zaza

dusty
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 10:42 am

My husband has it, but won't wear his mask. This is why he is banished to the guest room. He rattles the walls, it is the worst snoring I have ever heard.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 12:56 pm

My step dad's snoring is the worst.

I can hear him from downstairs.

And it isn't uncommon to find out that my mom started smacking his head to try to make him stop. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: osa   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 2:03 pm

My 2 brothers use their cpacs every nite,I haven't been checked, i probably should because Jake mimics my snoring.(and no i'm not making a video of that) Julsiebean
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 2:59 pm

In the Parrot Species Category, the topic was a wee-bit derailed by this post:

VickiNumbers wrote:
Welcome Sammy! I think you're gonna like it here!
dusty wrote:
well sammy has attached himself to my wife...he doesn't want me...it's great she has her own bird to cuddle...i have coco for that...so far so good
dusty
I guess that's good news, huh? Or is she like my husband and doesn't like animals? In that case, uh oh!

VickiNumbers wrote:
Other people get offered birds as rehomes and get to consider it. I get offered an OSA and didn't even get to consider it because of my husband.

Vicki says Smarty Pants Men wrote:

henpecked wrote:
I still don't know what a OSA is ?
dusty wrote:
me either capt...i just smile and agree....lol

VickiNumber's Response to Smarty Pants Men:
In all actuality, OSA is OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA. A sleep disorder where a person stops breathing for a period of time lasting from seconds to minutes. These abnormal periods where breathing ceases are called episodes of apnea. Apnea episodes cause a decrease in the amount of oxygen circulating in the blood and brain which causes the individual to wake up momentarily - just enough to start breathing again. This can occur up to 30 times per hour during the night. As a result, persons suffering from sleep apnea frequently complain of not feeling rested (even right when they've arisen from bed), daytime sleepiness, headaches, and a multitude of other complaints. OSA is known to increase a persons risk for heart disease, stroke, and congestive heart failure.

Bet you didn't expect that, didja? Can you believe I would turn down Obstructive Sleep Apnea? What an opportunity, right?

What I had intended to type was OWA - Orange Winged Amazon. The 'W' and 'S' are right next to each other on my (very unusual) keyboard. Sorry to cause such confusion! LOL!

As a result, this thread was started and posts were moved here! Voila!
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 3:37 pm

I have fairly mild, REM-only sleep apnea. I could not face the idea of a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine especially given the very low overall interruptions number. But my snoring was bothering my husband. I did a titration test with one and did not sleep at all with it. So I opted for an oral device, like a retainer. It positions the lower jaw forward, so the tongue is less likely to block the airway. My husband says I'm very quiet now.

It's been very successful for me, minimal drama and impact, maximal benefit. And my insurance covered it -- the studies are starting to mount up showing it as an effective and far more usable option to CPAP.

My husband's snoring is now bothering me... that's the next project I guess!
Back to top Go down
hannahbird
African Grey
hannahbird

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 3:53 pm

I have insomnia. Woo! it sucks. haha
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 6:13 am

hannahbird wrote:
I have insomnia. Woo! it sucks. haha
LOL Hannah, I do too! (As evidenced by the time of this post! haha!)
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 2:44 pm

So...I keep seeing the title of this thread and thinking it's "obstetrics..." not "obstructive..."

Yeah...I'm strange Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) 2277367267

My pop also has OSA He used to snore like nobody else I've heard!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 4:10 pm

MandaDPanda wrote:
So...I keep seeing the title of this thread and thinking it's "obstetrics..." not "obstructive..."
Well, obstetrical nursing really IS my first love (and one of my two specialties! LOL!)

MandaDPanda wrote:
My pop also has OSA He used to snore like nobody else I've heard!
I'm sure that there are more people than we know who have OSA and are undiagnosed. It's a shame, really. I wonder if it would make an impact on the numbers of people with heart damage later in life if more people were tested for this. I'm almost certain it would make a difference in the number of well-rested, happy people walking around every day!

Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 4:12 pm

VickiNumbers wrote:
I'm almost certain it would make a difference in the number of well-rested, happy people walking around every day!

This. Seriously.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 6:59 pm

Well, I think if the effectiveness of the oral devices was pushed, more people would seek treatment. IMO it is the rare person that's going to cope well with CPAP. And while I now notice some small difference on the few occasions I have forgotten to wear the device, despite the sleep M.D.s apparent conviction that all people are really morning people in disguise, I still don't leap out of bed all morning-person-like. Which was a bit of a relief -- I am actually the person I thought I was all along... LOL.

Since I'm a scientist and I have a sympathetic physician, he gave me a lot of technical information for me to read in an attempt to convince me. I guess I'm a bit of a hard sell, because it seemed to me that only the tiniest fraction of the studies linking OSA to all those dire conditions like heart disease etc. were cohort studies that would separate out causality from correlation. Since OSA is strongly and mechanically linked to overweight, Occam's razor suggests to me that that's the causal link, not the OSA itself. But a couple of the cohort studies were suggestive, if involving very small numbers of patients.

At any rate, it's a much easier bullet to bite (so to speak) to have to carry around and use a device about the size of a retainer than it is to hook yourself up to wheezing constraining machine every night. And to have to lug something like that around on travel. Ugh. I'd actually rather die young. I think low impact, easily tolerable treatment is the key to getting people interested in being diagnosed. That and setting a clear threshold for when treatment is really needed. I think the material I read suggested that normal people do have some interruptions, although perhaps less than 10/hour. I had only 15/hour but they were 100% correlated with periods of REM sleep, which was deemed significant in it's own right.
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 10:37 am

I have been going for more testing at the hospital's sleep clinic over the past few months. So far I have mild sleep apnea, mild narcolepsy, and I get my full DX tomorrow afternoon! I am SO excited! Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) 4014162036

Oh Gosh - I hope they give me a wonder drug better than last time.

I don't wish this upon anyone. Not even the person I dislike the most. It literally sucks the life out of you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:03 pm

I had severe apnea, to the point of (don't laugh) brain damage from lack of oxygen over so many years. I'm not retarded, but my memory is now like swiss cheese and I have to concentrate very hard on things to accomplish them. I finally went to a sleep study 4 yrs ago and my apnea was so bad that I made their computers go offline and bluescreen, LOL. I don't remember what the actual numbers are but your oxygen level during sleep isn't supposed to go below like 82% or something like that and mine was in the 30% range. Over a 6 hr study, I stopped breathing 21 times.

Needless to say, I was immediately sent to an ENT and underwent sinus surgery because my sinuses were not functioning properly. That was one of the most painful procedures I had ever gone through, but it saved my life. I was put on CPAP and now can't sleep without it because my lungs don't know how to function on their own when I sleep, my apnea had been so bad for most of my life. If I try to sleep without it, I get what I can only compare to as asthma attacks and wake up gasping.

But I will say after living a life of apnea (without knowing it) that my life was like night and day after the surgery and use of CPAP. I did lose a lot of my memory, but I am more awake now, can focus on work and don't find myself nodding off halfway through the day anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:22 pm

Vikki wrote:
Over a 6 hr study, I stopped breathing 21 times.
I suspect you mean 21 times an hour. 3-4 per hour would be in the normal range and it sounds as if your apnea was very severe indeed.
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 3:39 pm

Vikki, not to pry...but do they do any studies relating severe apnea to Alzheimer's?

Pop has had pretty bad apnea for a while. He is now in the early stages of Alzheimer's. Something in my brain clicked when you said your memory was swiss cheese. Just wondering. Of course, I love my Pop so anything that may have some sort of connection to help him...I'm going to jump on, even if it doesn't make sense.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Manda, they may. The only reason my memory is like swiss cheese is because I had been so oxygen deprived for most of my life that it killed a whole bunch of brain cells. And SNS, yes, 21 times per hour. They said that I never effectively entered REM sleep at all, which to me is odd because I always dreamed no matter how much I slept.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 1:46 pm

Vikki wrote:
Manda, they may. The only reason my memory is like swiss cheese is because I had been so oxygen deprived for most of my life that it killed a whole bunch of brain cells. And SNS, yes, 21 times per hour. They said that I never effectively entered REM sleep at all, which to me is odd because I always dreamed no matter how much I slept.

Manda, Alzheimer's sucks, I am so sorry. I don't know if there is an OSA link, but if his apnea is severe it's probably worth trying to treat it. Might be hard for a person with memory issues to follow through, though.

Vikki, it's when you are aroused during REM sleep that you most likely remember your dreams. I was actually afraid, if my apnea was 100% during REM, that I'd lose some of my vivid dream life, which I actually enjoy. Didn't happen. So I'd guess you probably entered REM before the interruption. I have the sense that what seems like a long time in a dream is actually only seconds or fractions thereof.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)   Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) Empty

Back to top Go down

Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)
Page 1 of 1