Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...

Go down 
+7
Margaret
coral
GlassOnion
ScooterNScotty
henpecked
RogerP
zazanomore
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... Empty
PostSubject: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 3:24 pm

The newest member is Madoc the budgie!

I've been wanting to add another budgie to the flock for a while. I was actually planning on getting one for my birthday, but that was the beginning of school, so I was a bit flustered. But now I feel really settled in and ready for a new adventure!

Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... Cimg3615

Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... Cimg3614

Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... Cimg3613

Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... Cimg3611

Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... Cimg3610
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 3:44 pm

There is plenty of thunder to go around Zaza! Welcome Madoc! I can't get the picture to load for me here at work, but I will look again when I get home.

How are you handling the quarantine phase? I don't imagine you have much for space where you are currently living.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 3:49 pm

I got her from Petsmart, the same place I got the other two budgies. The lady at the store was surprisingly knowledgeable about budgies. She told me to quarantine and make sure I have an extra cage handy in case my guys decide to pick on the new guy. I was very happy with the service I got, just like when I got Bonnie and Clyde back home.

I really wanted one of the two color mutations, lutino, or yellow face. There was no yellow face, but one true lutino, which of course I picked.

She was very silent on the bus ride home, I heard not a peep, and she hardly made a fuss.

She's doing quarantine in the bathroom right now. I figured it would be the best place, because it is the only room with a door. Plus, I don't use any products like perfumes or sprays, and there's no hair dryer or straighteners. I figure there's nothing in there to harm her, and with the closed space I can work on some basic training and taming.

She's in Einstein's travel cage (which is a budgie cage) and I took two perches and two toys from the three fids.

She seems to be extremely confident. There was no shaking or fast breathing like there was with Bonnie and Clyde when I first brought them home.

When I first let her out of the box, she started flying wildly (did I mention this petsmart doesn't clip wings?), but eventually she calmed down. After a little bit of coaxing, she eventually landed on me. She really has no clue what "step up" means, but after working with her for a little bit, she caught on.

And she seems to enjoy being touched. I started petting her cheeks (like in the video) and at some points she would actually start to close her eyes, and tilt her head like Einstein would.

I am only guessing that she is a she. Only because, I really want her to be a boy. The Universe works against me though, so chances are it will be a girl. But, she has made some vocalizations. She has a very different call from the other two, and I'm hoping this is a good sign she is actually a he.

I think I went on long enough, I'll keep you posted!
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 3:51 pm

RogerP wrote:
There is plenty of thunder to go around Zaza! Welcome Madoc! I can't get the picture to load for me here at work, but I will look again when I get home.

How are you handling the quarantine phase? I don't imagine you have much for space where you are currently living.

My bathroom is actually pretty large. And it has great lighting from the window.

Also, I want to add that I named her Madoc, as it is the name of the small town I grew up in. I find that it will be a pretty Androgynous name, so if she ends up being a he, it will work either way.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Congrats Alyssa, I have always liked lutinos myself.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 7:15 pm

She looks unreal to me, like a cartoon. I love just staring at her.

UPDATE: She has found her favorite spot in the cage, and is sitting there, refusing to go anywhere else. Which is typical, I mean, all my guys started out like that.

Her vocalizations are becoming more and more common. And the funny thing is, her and Einstein have been calling back and forth more than the budgies.

She is cage shy. But, when I try to take her out, there is no flailing or flying around. She seems to be 100% comfortable with my hands in the cage.

She refuses to step up about 75% of the time. So, to get her out and back into her cage, I grab her (properly). There is a few unhappy nips, but no bites.

I was scritching her again, and this time there was beak clicking!

Though there is no evidence that she has eaten out of her food bowl (I just supplied the seed mix, I figured that it would be more recognizable than if I gave her pellets in it) or drank her water; when I had her out of the cage, she starting eating the millet on top of the cage.

I'm so excited! I have a baby in the house again!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 7:19 pm

Awwwwww..... good luck Madoc and Zaza
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks!

I just left to go to the store to pick up some neocitrin, and when I got back, guess who started calling for me?
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 9:07 pm

Ahh!! I'm jealous!!! She looks awesome!!!
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure
coral

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 9:25 pm

shes beautiful! seems like things are going good with her! Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... 4014162036
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 9:49 pm

I keep thinking to myself that she just won the lottery.

There is no one else in this city who could possibly come close to the amount of care and love she is going to get!
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 6:19 am

zazanomore wrote:
I keep thinking to myself that she just won the lottery.

There is no one else in this city who could possibly come close to the amount of care and love she is going to get!
I can believe that !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 7:43 am

What a beautiful baby you have there! I recently added a baby budgie to my flock also. She has given me a whole new outlook on budgies.
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 11:53 am

She's adorable, I love yellow!
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 2:03 pm

I'm actually surprised at how different she is compared to when I first got Bonnie and Clyde. They were nervous wrecks! But not Madoc.

You know, I'm thinking back to the whole discussion that GlassOnion started about taming a clipped bird versus a flighted bird. Madoc has never been clipped, but the two other budgies were. She is confident landing on me when she starts flying around, and doesn't freak out at the sight of me.

I'm actually surprised at how nice she is. She's letting me pet her, and is seemingly enjoying it, with her clicking and closing her eyes. She so much more secure than Bonnie and Clyde were.
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure
coral

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 3:26 pm

are you planning on putting her in a cage with bonnie and clyde eventually? if you do will she bond to them or you? im just curious cuz i thought that if you kept them in uneven numbers sometimes they single one out. my finches are mean like that Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Sushi has been clipped and is very tame and mild, completely unlike the other budgies I had.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Eventually I would like her in with Bonnie and Clyde. I don't need her to be 100% mine. My budgies already have their own relationships with me. Though it's nothing like Einstein, I do have a bond with both Bonnie and Clyde.

If I have problems with my two bothering Madoc, I'd either try my luck with Einstein (who is very docile), or buy her her own cage.

To try to avoid any territorial issues, I did buy two extra food bowls. That way, there is a food bowl for every budgie. I know that can be a problem.

I'm also going to slowly introduce them to each other.

No matter what happens, Madoc is going to be safe.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 8:02 pm

Zaza congratulations!!!
I see you follow your dreams too Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... 4014162036
You never know, maybe Madoc will bond will Einstein. Good luck!

Julsiebean wrote:
Sushi has been clipped and is very tame and mild, completely unlike the other budgies I had.
Julsie, if I may ask, how many birds you have now? Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... 2277367267
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Why sure, since everyone is so interested and love to make shitty remarks about it. I have 4. Shocking, I know. Surely I am a hoarder, flipper, or hanging around looking for a hand out somewhere.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 10:31 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
Why sure, since everyone is so interested and love to make shitty remarks about it. I have 4. Shocking, I know. Surely I am a hoarder, flipper, or hanging around looking for a hand out somewhere.

Angry sarcasm?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 12:46 am

Julsiebean wrote:
thinking

You're kidding, right?
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 3:01 am

??? Am confused!
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 2:16 pm

Anyways....

Some little updates on Madoc!

I think she finally feels at home. I came home yesterday, to find that she quite happily started throwing seeds everywhere. There were more seeds on the ground, then in her bowl. My thought was "Oh god, one of those birds". But, she feels at home. She's eating and drinking like a little piggy, and see's no shame in eating in front of me.

She has really caught on to step up. Though she doesn't do it all the time, she does do it about 75% of the time now.

She still likes to be cuddled. She'll perch herself on my finger, and I'll start giving her scritches, and she will start to close her eyes, click her beak, and fall into complete bliss.

She's quite the acrobatic flyer, and she will land on me after doing laps in the room.

Also, she loves being upside down!

Like in Michaels video:

She just naturally does it. I never tried to do it. I hope she keeps the habit up, it's such a funny little trick Razz
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 7:44 pm

I'm so glad, that she feels that comfortable! How the rest of your flock reacts for Madoc so far?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...   Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But... Empty

Back to top Go down

Hate to steal your thunder Roger, But...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next