Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So i think baby bird is regressing some...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

So i think baby bird is regressing some... Empty
PostSubject: So i think baby bird is regressing some...   So i think baby bird is regressing some... EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 8:09 pm

This afternoon I'm starting to hear some of the baby GCC begging sounds that I didn't hear at all yesterday. He ate fine this morning and has been eating all day
on the fruits, veggies, and cooked food that I put out. His crop feels empty from the morning feeding, but when he started this business this afternoon at two, it clearly wasn't time for his nighttime feeding. Should I have gone ahead and fed him again? I didn't, I just snuggled with him and gave him solid food... But should I have done it different? I don't want to break him!
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: So i think baby bird is regressing some...   So i think baby bird is regressing some... EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Feed him as much as he wants, I think that's much safer than not feeding him. I'm sure someone will come with an actual answer Wink
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: So i think baby bird is regressing some...   So i think baby bird is regressing some... EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Sounds like he must be about 10wks old and about to wean. Josie could tell you more about how much to feed him but we don't do GCCs , I'd feed him about 3 times a day as much as he'll eat in a few minutes. As they get older their crop won't hold as much,also they don't beg when you first bring them home,it takes a day or two. I'll get Mama Zon on here to help you, LOL
Back to top Go down
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

My Birds : (R) denotes rescue birds
(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

Merlin, Gracie and Mercie my little Jack Yappers
44 chickens and 2 turkeys

PostSubject: Re: So i think baby bird is regressing some...   So i think baby bird is regressing some... EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 10:53 pm

@ GO sorry that is not always the answer baby birds can truly cause their own health issues by over filling their crops.

It is not abnormal for birds to revert a bit out of stress and moving no matter if in just the room is stress as we have removed them from the nest box abnormally. Many factors can trigger this and not to fuss is the best answer. if the baby is eating and emptying the crop on a normal routine then don't worrry about the begging. Mine do it for attention even after wean...if you think that it may be really hungry then feed. Adjust the feed times to your schedule within an hour or so of the breeders. You know when the baby ate if it was full and not over filled. Begging is due to food attention temp...cold birds don't digest their food properly. so if the food and temp is met then a cuddle and a coo is right on target.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: So i think baby bird is regressing some...   So i think baby bird is regressing some... EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 6:04 am

If you are worried, maybe weigh him first thing in the morning for a few days to see if he's keeping his weight up?
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: So i think baby bird is regressing some...   So i think baby bird is regressing some... EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 1:57 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
If you are worried, maybe weigh him first thing in the morning for a few days to see if he's keeping his weight up?
I've been doing that. She's (today is a girl day) down a few grams but nothing serious. Last night she was down eight gms before her feeding, then before this mornings feed she was back up four of those. So I suspect she's doing ok, but I'm a real worrier right now.  
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So i think baby bird is regressing some...   So i think baby bird is regressing some... Empty

Back to top Go down

So i think baby bird is regressing some...
Page 1 of 1