Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So... How 'bout another new bird?

Go down 
+4
zazanomore
Vikki
dusty
VickiNumbers
8 posters
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

So... How 'bout another new bird? Empty
PostSubject: So... How 'bout another new bird?   So... How 'bout another new bird? EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 5:22 am

Alrighty my friends in paradise... I once again find myself in need of your opinions, experiences, and general wisdom. Unfortunately, I have found myself mysteriously drawn to a little Senegal hen at the store. She's four months old and really a sweet little bird. I never singled her out as a bird I wanted. I make it a point to play with the birds who are getting older and haven't sold in an attempt to keep them socialized and more easily sellable, as well as any boarder birds who have been around for a while and may need some "out of cage" time. That has me handling several birds in a day of all different species, and quite honestly most of them don't make an impression. I mean, they're birds, yes, and I remember them all, but none of them have really "touched" me- until this little girl.

Y'all know how I am about my *sparks*, right? Well oddly enough, I can't even say there's a spark... It's more like she lit an ember that won't die. There's something about her that keeps pulling me to her.

That said, I have concerns. First, Allie took to her like a starving man to a Sunday Buffet. She started in preening little Sene till I had to make her stop, then she fluffed up and cozied up next to her like they were 9 year old girls at a sleep-over (OR 12 yr old couples outside the school dance - pick which visual works for you!). She still dumped Sene and chased me when I left them alone, so I know I'm favorite. Smile but my concern is that since they're both still very young, they might grow up bonded to each other rather than to me, and that's not really what I want.

Secondly, Sene is very solom right now. That's part of what draws me to her. BUT, I don't know if I want a mature, solom, Senegal, ya know? I would like a playful Sene, the way they're supposed to be. So are they always like this? Do they grow into their personalities?

It all makes me wonder, so I ask you to provide your ever so valuable input.
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: So... How 'bout another new bird?   So... How 'bout another new bird? EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 9:52 am

my sene is very solom too...i can get a kiss on the nose and pick him up pet him and gives scritches but that is all he does...he is very quiet...with time he may come to life...you have to remember he was like rogers arthur when i got him 4 months ago...i hope with more time spent with him he will develop a personality...if not he is friendly now and very pretty sitting on top of his cage all day...i don't know if this a normal trait for sene's...i love him and thats all that counts...

dusty
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: So... How 'bout another new bird?   So... How 'bout another new bird? EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 12:51 pm

The only thing I worry about in your case is that the two get cozy and exclude you in their relationship. It happens often. They bond and want nothing to do with you. That can be heartbreaking and frustrating.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: So... How 'bout another new bird?   So... How 'bout another new bird? EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 1:39 pm

From what I know from Sennies is that they are very independent. That being said, they are also known to be really playful.

I think if you were to bring home another bird, and kept her in a separate cage, you wouldn't have a problem with Allie only bonding with the new bird.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: So... How 'bout another new bird?   So... How 'bout another new bird? EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 3:52 pm

I think you are the one who can give you the best advice. With an active GCC to keep up with, a quieter, even solemn, bird might be sort of a relief. I know I find Scotty soothing compared to Scooter sometimes. On the other hand, while he was quite quiet when we first got him, he's not what I'd call "solemn" either -- he has his moments of screaming bloody murder while attacking his toys and so forth, he can be very outgoing and playful, it's just not continuous. it took him about 6 months to fully get comfortable and show that side of his personality after we brought him home, FWIW.

But the bottom line is, what feels right? I think you are fond of this little bird, but have concerns about how she'd fit in to your home and life... how would you feel if the next time you went to the store she'd gone ot a good new home?
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: So... How 'bout another new bird?   So... How 'bout another new bird? EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 8:20 pm

First time i read your post i decide to let this lay awhile.But now i'll chime in with my 2 cents worth.Alie sees the new sennie as a brood mate and you as momma bird.I think you need to let your fid mature (bond to you) before adding another bird.The other school of thought says two young birds will make better friends . The chance you take is ,will your fid bond to the new fid instead of you, a mature bird is less likely to do this because it is already bonded to you. The advice i give when adding a new fid is, your taking a chance. When adding 2 new fids i think your chances for failure are even greater. Your not looking a companion for Allie your looking to add another fid,. Don't risk losing both fids, let Allie mature and then add another fid for you, if they get along ,great , but if no , oh well you got the new bird as a fid for you. Sparks, I've had many, we can't take in ever bird we spark with.In a perfect world yes, but that's not where you and I live. Reality sucks. Your a big girl so do as you see fit, i promise not to say i told you so and will help out anyway i can. You asked for it , and there's my 2 cents worth.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: So... How 'bout another new bird?   So... How 'bout another new bird? EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:27 am

henpecked wrote:
The advice i give when adding a new fid is, your taking a chance. When adding 2 new fids i think your chances for failure are even greater. Your not looking a companion for Allie your looking to add another fid,. Don't risk losing both fids, let Allie mature and then add another fid for you, if they get along ,great , but if no , oh well you got the new bird as a fid for you. ...Reality sucks. Your a big girl so do as you see fit, i promise not to say i told you so and will help out anyway i can. You asked for it , and there's my 2 cents worth.

Damn. If you'd chimed in earlier it might have influenced my decision... but it's too late now. Sad Though, I can't say I'm too unhappy about it. Wink

Through some really creative financial wrangling (the details of which I'll not get into), I'm now the mom of Cinderella, Ella for short. Everyone who hears that's her name says it's the perfect one for her. Smile

I tried to discuss my concerns about the bonding stuff with Jen and Karen, and Jen interrupted me before I'd even finished my question and said, "NO." She told me that I spend so much time with my birds that "it's retarded." The two of them will have separate cages and separate spaces, they will each have their separate relationship with me. In a way, I think it's a good thing that I'm getting a second bird that I need to build a relationship with because it will help keep me from allowing Allie to become too dependent on me. (JJ bordered on that.) There will certainly be challenges along the way but I believe that with the knowledge I've gained so far as a bird owner, and the knowledge I have access to here, Allie, Ella and I will have a very long and happy life together. It will certainly be an exciting trip for us girls! LOL!

Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: So... How 'bout another new bird?   So... How 'bout another new bird? EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:37 am

*cough and Caesar cough*
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: So... How 'bout another new bird?   So... How 'bout another new bird? EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:46 am

henpecked wrote:
Alie sees the new sennie as a brood mate and you as momma bird.I think you need to let your fid mature (bond to you) before adding another bird.The other school of thought says two young birds will make better friends . The chance you take is ,will your fid bond to the new fid instead of you, a mature bird is less likely to do this because it is already bonded to you. The advice i give when adding a new fid is, your taking a chance. When adding 2 new fids i think your chances for failure are even greater. Your not looking a companion for Allie your looking to add another fid,. Don't risk losing both fids, let Allie mature and then add another fid for you, if they get along ,great , but if no , oh well you got the new bird as a fid for you. Sparks, I've had many, we can't take in ever bird we spark with.In a perfect world yes, but that's not where you and I live. Reality sucks. Your a big girl so do as you see fit, i promise not to say i told you so and will help out anyway i can. You asked for it , and there's my 2 cents worth.
Yeah, ditto - What he said.

Edit - Shoot. You posted, then my post posted. Since you've added the new one, just make sure each has plenty of time with you alone every day. I've not had a problem keeping babies tame into adulthood so long as they got a lot of one on one human time every day.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: So... How 'bout another new bird?   So... How 'bout another new bird? EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:44 am

zazanomore wrote:
*cough and Caesar cough*
Yeah, about that. I've pretty much decided that if Caesar stays, she's Cal's bird. She has SERIOUS trust/fear issues, and while I understand that (shoot, I've got a few of my own), unfortunately I don't have the patience to deal with it.

What's interesting is that I can make friends with the meanest birds in the world... There are birds in the store that only one or two people are able to come close to touching... and I'm able to give them scritches and preen their pins, THAT kind of trust issue I'm able to overcome for whatever reason. But when birds look at me and quiver in fear? Rolling Eyes They should KNOW I'm not scary. So there. (Yes, I know they don't know, but I know so they should know. And if they're so darn smart, I just don't know why they don't know.)

So what does all that mean?

We're probably not keeping Caesar. BUT... We're planning to get her to a point where she'll be ready to go off to a terrific new home. So, if anybody wants to come to Colorado to see me and take home a really sweet but really frady-cat bird... book your ticket for about 6 weeks from now and let me know your flight information. Smile

Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: So... How 'bout another new bird?   So... How 'bout another new bird? EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 3:04 am

First off, Congrats on the new fid! Welcome to Paradise Ella! I agree with Roz, if each of them gets their time with you, you should be able to make it work.

Second, if you figure out the recipe to make the fraidy birds not scared of you, please let me know. I wish they would just know not to be afraid.
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: So... How 'bout another new bird?   So... How 'bout another new bird? EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 3:15 am

dusty wrote:
with time he may come to life...you have to remember he was like rogers arthur when i got him 4 months ago...i hope with more time spent with him he will develop a personality

ScooterNScotty wrote:
It took him about 6 months to fully get comfortable and show that side of his personality after we brought him home, FWIW.

Not to try to steal the thread, but these two statements were a godsend for me today, thank you Dusty and Deb! I have been second guessing myself this week that getting Arthur was a huge mistake because he just seems to want nothing to do with me other than to eat treats when it suits him, and try to take off my fingers when it doesn't. After reading your posts I realized that Arthur has only been with me for six weeks, three of which were one chaotic change after another, so really only three weeks of time in his correct home. Somehow knowing that it took you guys four to six months to see significant progress is encouraging rather than discouraging. Just wanted to say thank you!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: So... How 'bout another new bird?   So... How 'bout another new bird? EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:11 am

RogerP wrote:
After reading your posts I realized that Arthur has only been with me for six weeks, three of which were one chaotic change after another, so really only three weeks of time in his correct home. Somehow knowing that it took you guys four to six months to see significant progress is encouraging rather than discouraging. Just wanted to say thank you!
Awe, shoot! My first bird experiences - six months in and I still couldn't get the birds to sit on my finger. . . I totally thought birds were sucky pets.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: So... How 'bout another new bird?   So... How 'bout another new bird? EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:22 am

RogerP wrote:
Not to try to steal the thread, but these two statements were a godsend for me today, thank you Dusty and Deb! ... Somehow knowing that it took you guys four to six months to see significant progress is encouraging rather than discouraging. Just wanted to say thank you!
Steal the thread! Steal the Thread!!!
Yes Happy party clap
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So... How 'bout another new bird?   So... How 'bout another new bird? Empty

Back to top Go down

So... How 'bout another new bird?
Page 1 of 1