Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break.

Go down 
+5
crystalsbirdtoys
ScooterNScotty
zazanomore
Margaret
GlassOnion
9 posters
AuthorMessage
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break. Empty
PostSubject: Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break.   Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break. EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 2:46 am

Have you seen these "Feather duster" budgies before?

Apparently this often happens due to severe inbreeding and the poor Budgies don't live past a year. Sad They also need their vents cleaned multiple times a day Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFMXrBWswl0&feature=related%3Cbr%20/%3E%3Cbr%20/%3Ei
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break.   Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break. EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 2:52 am

OMG, that poor "thing" affraid
How they became like this, did they crossed budgie with what; a mop?
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break.   Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break. EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 11:09 am

I'd love the heck out of that bird Sad
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break.   Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break. EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 3:43 pm

I googled them, and it seems that it may be that they need special handling more than that they are incapable of survival. It seems to be a genuine mutation, not necessarily the result of poor breeding practices. They do not apparently always need to be cleaned, but they do seem to be incapable of perching normally, and early death may be attributable to their not being able to feed well given their mobility problems.

Not saying it's a mutation we want to encourage any more than the Peke-faced Persian cats, but they may not be as pitiful as once thought.
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break.   Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break. EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Oh my...I don't like the odds not given to these little ones Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break.   Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break. EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 9:34 pm

If you don't want to support inbreeding, don't buy any mutation anything which includes whiteface cockatiels, any color of budgie other than wild green, etc. All mutations in captivity are established through inbreeding. Line breeding's just a fancy way of saying "carefully selected inbreeding".
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break.   Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break. EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Don't know if anyone is "up" on Blue mutation Yellow Nape Amazons. Basic info is this, two nest in the wild have produced Blue birds.One nest has only produced 2 birds (1 hen,1cock) the cock didn't survive quarantine.The other nest has produced maybe 6 birds. Any Blue mutation YN Amazon is a product of these two nest.I'm fixing to spend 13,000 dollars to get a Blue hen from nest one (8,000) and a split to blue from the other nest,male (5'000), of course these are babies and it'll be 10 yrs before i can expect babies.90% of the breeding stock in inbreed from nest two.Sure they have been bred to normal parents but, the gene pool is very limited.Nest two birds have a genetic trait called drooping wings.Of course a blue hen and a split to blue cock should produce 75% blue birds.But if i were to breed any nesttwo birds back to either parent , drooping wings is a given. There's a price to pay for that special trait.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break.   Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break. EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 10:59 pm

Guys, please speak some English. I'm completely lost now Embarassed
(I wouldn't be a good breeder).
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break.   Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break. EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Margaret wrote:
Guys, please speak some English. I'm completely lost now Embarassed
(I wouldn't be a good breeder).
You'd be a great breeder Margaret, you'd probably have an easier time learning genetics in your native language though! It's hard enough to learn in a first language, much less in a second.

What they're talking about is line breeding or inbreeding. That's what it's called when related birds are bred to each other. Like Parent to child, siblings, aunts to nephews, cousins to cousins, etc. When that kind of breeding is done, the genetic traits are magnified - whether they're good or bad - and the closer the relationship of the birds are the more likely the traits are to be magnified. Usually the negative traits are brought out - they're easiest for us to pick out - like Drooping Wings in Capt's post.

Does that help at all?
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break.   Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break. EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 11:25 pm

Muchas Gracias Senora Very Happy
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break.   Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break. EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 11:56 pm

De nada!

I have to correct myself though...

I said, "usually the negative traits are brought out" and that's incorrect. Line breeding is most commonly done to emphasize positive genetic traits, unfortunately it will also emphasize negative ones as well - but nothing is more likely to be emphasized simply because it's good or bad.
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break.   Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break. EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 1:42 am

woah... that's definetly unique looking. I've seen pigeons and chickens with a similiar feather duster look (though not all over the body). is it the same concept of how they got that way?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break.   Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break. Empty

Back to top Go down

Zaza and other Budgie fans, your hearts are gonna break.
Page 1 of 1