Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Submissive" green cheek

Go down 
+6
patdbunny
RogerP
ScooterNScotty
dusty
kaeladedah
JodyL
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JodyL
Budgerigar

My Birds : Sayde AKA Bella= gcc

"Submissive" green cheek Empty
PostSubject: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 8:13 pm

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I have had my female gcc 1 month now. She is 10 months old and came from an excellent parrot store. She is sweet, doesn't bite or scream- but the down side is she is very shy and has been hard to bond with. I lost my 15 1/2 year old lovebird a few months ago- that one was extremely outgoing and basically was my mate. The store owner said the GCC and her sister were both "submissive" and may not be the kind of pet I am looking for. They offered to "exchange her" for a more alpha bird . After reading all the GCC horror stories, I am wondering if people think she might grow into a more social girl? The owner also said she might be sensing my grief , and holding back.

Any comments?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 8:30 pm

I really don't have any experience with this, but the bird just may not have the type of outgoing personality you were expecting. Not all green cheeks have all the common green cheek traits.
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 9:29 pm

hi welcome to the forum...i would say give her time to bond...you have been blessed with a non biter, unlike mine...lol...she may come around...good luck

dusty
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi Jody,

Just wanted to say, it's good to see you here!

Deborah
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 1:27 am

Hi Jody, welcome to Paradise!

Ultimately the decision whether to keep or trade in your bird is yours and yours alone. Having said that, Dusty is right, she does not bite or scream. She has only been with you for a month, in a completely new environment. New cage, new place, new people. My two cents? Give her some time to dget used to her new home and she may surprise you.

Let us know what you decide! We will be here for you either way!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 2:10 am

Hi Jodie!

Welcome!

You've only had the bird for one month, and the bird's only ten months old. It may take time for the bird to adapt to your household and to you, especially if it spent any extended time at the bird store. She has to adapt from a busy, noisy store with tons of people coming and going, to your house that's probably a lot quieter and a lot less people.

Personally, I say give her some time to adapt. One month is not very long. She sounds like a great bird otherwise.

Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 8:30 am

Hi Jody,
Welcome to Paradise! :-) I'm glad you decided to join us!

First off, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your Pinot. Losing a special bird like that, especially after all those years, can be devastating. I've experienced a similar loss recently as have several other residents of Paradise, so we share your pain. If you'd like, please feel free to post a tribute to Pinot in our In Memorium section. 

Now, your GCC!  One of my now three favorite birds!  I'm trying to remember Allie when I first brought her home, and JJ at 9-10 months. I'd say they could be called "shy" with some people. Was your bird hand raised?  If not, I think that may be making a difference in how she's reacting to you and how long it's taking her to settle in and bond. 

If I recall, it took both of my birds about 3-4 months to really settle in and start showing their clowny side. Both of mine were babies, but I don't know if that is what makes the difference. It just seemed to me that they needed to become more confident in their new place before their true personality came out. 

I've never heard of a "shy" GCC. It could be that you have the one. ;-). But it's more likely that you have a bird that's never been in one place long enough to become comfortable and confident enough to be a conure. Like I think it was Roger who said, only you can make the decision whether or not to keep the bird. She'll never be your Pinot, you wouldn't want her to be, but she'll be very special nevertheless - you just might have to look for the special in different places for a while.  Before you make the decision to keep her, make the decision that you're going to love her no matter what personality she turns out to have - because you just never know. 

NOW, all that said... I'm a BIG believer in *sparks.*  And if it isn't there, return the bird and wait till you find one you spark with. 

I can argue both sides of my *spark* theory, but it's always worked for me, so I'm sticking with it. I know love can grow, but it's easier to make a fire if there's a *spark*

WHATEVER you decide, let us know!!  We'd love to hear more about your shy GCC if you keep her, or hear about your search for a new fid!  
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 1:56 pm

VickiNumbers wrote:
NOW, all that said... I'm a BIG believer in *sparks.*  And if it isn't there, return the bird and wait till you find one you spark with. 

I can argue both sides of my *spark* theory, but it's always worked for me, so I'm sticking with it. I know love can grow, but it's easier to make a fire if there's a *spark*
I woke up this morning with this as a follow up thought, but VickiNumbers beat me to it. I agree with her.

Don't feel guilty if you feel you really don't have that *spark* with this bird (or don't want to wait and see if you get that *spark*) and decide to trade it in. You know how long they live. It's worth the wait to find the bird you *spark* with.
Back to top Go down
JodyL
Budgerigar

My Birds : Sayde AKA Bella= gcc

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Thank you all for your great advice and support!

Mainly I wanted the feedback on a time frame. One month doesn't seem very long to me either, I have no memory of how long it took Pinot to bond to us? I want to give Bella the chance to show her "real" personality- if that takes a few months that's ok. The idea of bouncing from bird to bird does not appeal to me at the moment. We have been through enough.

As for the spark- interesting thought- do you think you feel that right away - or it grows on you?

Last night after I covered her, I heard her practicing the kissing sound I was trying to teach her. I'll keep you all posted.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 2:29 pm

JodyL wrote:
As for the spark- interesting thought- do you think you feel that right away - or it grows on you?
I think this might vary from person to person. It's like dating - Sometimes it's an immediate and strong *spark*, "I WANT ANOTHER DATE! NOW!" Sometimes it's a medium *spark* to build on, "Well, that was really nice. I would really like for us to go out again." Sometimes it's low/no *spark*, "Eh. I don't care one way or the other if he calls again." I can see each one of those growing into big flaming sparks. I just wouldn't pick the third one if given a choice.

Shoot. Hope that made a drop of sense. . .

My first African grey - I raised her from 5 weeks of age. Despite the handfeeding, I don't feel she really "bonded" with me until she was over a year old. Sure she looked to me for food and care from a young age, but I didn't feel she "preferred" me over others until she was older.

JodyL wrote:
Last night after I covered her, I heard her practicing the kissing sound I was trying to teach her. I'll keep you all posted.
Sounds like she's trying to connect. It shows she's paying attention to you. She's just not ready to come out of herself to you altogether yet, sounds like.
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

sun conure (simon)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 2:39 pm

i get that spark with every bird i see...thus 8 birds and an empty pocket book...lol

thats so cute she is trying to make the kissing sound, i am jealous

dusty

ps...Roz is always right...lol
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 3:44 pm

dusty wrote:
ips...Roz is always right...lol

He speaks wisdom... Well, almost always anyway! I do think practicing the kissy noise is a good sign!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Don't mind me. I'm apparently the freaking-know-it-all. Feel free to hit the ignore button or smack me on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

sun conure (simon)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 5:27 pm

lol roz...if i have a question i know you will either have the answer or find it...and i prefer the newspaper...lmao...luv ya roz

dusty
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 5:56 pm

Hey, opinions are like . . . noses!
And I most definitely have one!

Newspapers are fine. They hurt less than wooden spoons.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 6:18 pm

I'll see your opinion and raise it one!

But seriously Roz, you and a few others here have a ton of practical experience the rest of us are just beginning to acquire, so you ARE very often... right.

I prefer a smack on the wrist with a wet noodle.
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

sun conure (simon)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 6:43 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
I'll see your opinion and raise it one!

But seriously Roz, you and a few others here have a ton of practical experience the rest of us are just beginning to acquire, so you ARE very often... right.

I prefer a smack on the wrist with a wet noodle.

DITTO

dusty
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 10:30 pm

The thing about Roz is that she's learning a lot from me. (Remember the *Spark* theory?)

Lookout people, there's a NEW KNOW-IT-ALL IN TOWN! Lyzgrace
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 10:35 pm

JodyL -
Waiting for pics of Bella!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 10:46 pm

patdbunny wrote:
JodyL -
Waiting for pics of Bella!
Yes!! LOVE LOVE LOVE GCC pics! That sideways GCC glance is to die for!
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 11:15 pm

Return the bird because there's no spark? No!! It's a baby bird, even if there was a 'spark', it could totally change its preference to another person as it matures. We hear about it all the time. I don't believe that the spark theory works in babies, more in adult birds.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 11:35 pm

Sparks are there at any age Smile

But what about those pictures! "Submissive" green cheek Camera
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 12:46 am

Yeah, pictures!!!!

I do believe in "sparks". I suspect it has more to do with the person seeing something in the animal that somehow touches them than it does with what the animal is feeling towards the person, though. Bit like falling in love, whether it's requited or un, it's still love.

Jimmy Wofford (a famous Eventing rider and coach) advised that no matter how talented and suitable, never by a horse you don't like. You could spend a long time looking at that face over the stall door if the horse is injured or ill....so you better like it!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 1:03 am

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Yeah, pictures!!!!

I do believe in "sparks". I suspect it has more to do with the person seeing something in the animal that somehow touches them than it does with what the animal is feeling towards the person, though. Bit like falling in love, whether it's requited or un, it's still love.

Jimmy Wofford (a famous Eventing rider and coach) advised that no matter how talented and suitable, never by a horse you don't like. You could spend a long time looking at that face over the stall door if the horse is injured or ill....so you better like it!

Thumbs-up
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm not denying the presence of a spark. I'm saying that a spark with a baby bird isn't as important as someone might think. Babies change as they grow and may decide they like someone else other than who they originally liked, anyway. As babies, they'll like most people who are nice to them. For older birds I think it's great to meet them to see if there is a connection, but I don't believe it matters in babies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   "Submissive" green cheek Empty

Back to top Go down

"Submissive" green cheek
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next