Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Beauty isn't doing so well.

Go down 
+4
atlanon
patdbunny
Margaret
VickiNumbers
8 posters
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

My Beauty isn't doing so well. Empty
PostSubject: My Beauty isn't doing so well.   My Beauty isn't doing so well. EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:43 am

Saturday morning my oldest dog Sable, a shepherd mix, came home from a routine walk with my husband and started limping on her left hind leg. It became progressively worse throughout the day to the point that she was unable to support any weight on that leg without considerable pain. I took her to the vet this morning and found out (after a ridiculous vet bill) that she has a partial tear in her ACL. The vet said that those require surgery to get better. But Sable is almost 11 years old, and my personal risk-benefit analysis of surgery on a geriatric dog doesn't bear out a strong case in favor of the procedure. Besides that, it was going to be VERY costly to have it done and I don't have very much costs to be sharing (unless my children will give up food, cell phones, and electricity for a couple of months!).

Anyhow, we've got her at home with some medicine for pain and are trying to take the "conservative" route for a while, keeping her confined (she hates it), quiet, and pain-free as much as possible. I just hoped y'all might send her some "be-well" vibes or prayers, or whatever it is that you do. I have a feeling this will not be ending well, and it's not going to be easy for any of us.

Anyway, here's a picture of my Beauty... And thanks.
My Beauty isn't doing so well. F31d4443-1
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: My Beauty isn't doing so well.   My Beauty isn't doing so well. EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:49 am

Don't think negative, you never know. About 3 years ago vets was giving for my bf'dog max. couple of months. Then later they offer radiation as a treatment- he refused. She is still with us.
Of course I'll keep my fingers crossed for Sable! Poor dogie...
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: My Beauty isn't doing so well.   My Beauty isn't doing so well. EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:57 am

I understand and am supportive of your risk/benefit analysis. Our ankle biter dog had a mammary tumor removed last year. We didn't have it tested to see if it was cancerous because even if it was we weren't going to do chemo on an older dog. We love her for whatever time we have for her.

Since you're a nurse, maybe you can ask an orthopedic surgeon alternatives for torn ACLs in humans?

All the best for your Sable and whatever you decide to do.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: My Beauty isn't doing so well.   My Beauty isn't doing so well. EmptyTue May 24, 2011 8:51 am

My brother's dog had a torn ACL and we did end up putting her in for surgery. She was younger, though, and honestly my family might not have even been willing to spend so much money on it if she weren't my brother's one and only. I completely understand - but like Margaret said, we've had a lot of animals where we simply didn't have the money to put up for whatever procedure they recommended so we casted/braced/rested/changed diet, and spent many more happy years with it. I hope Sable makes a speedy recovery - she's beautiful!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace

PostSubject: Re: My Beauty isn't doing so well.   My Beauty isn't doing so well. EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:00 am

Hoping for the best, please keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: My Beauty isn't doing so well.   My Beauty isn't doing so well. EmptyTue May 24, 2011 11:40 am

Sad Sad His picture makes me sad, I hope he gets better!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: My Beauty isn't doing so well.   My Beauty isn't doing so well. EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:20 pm

patdbunny wrote:
I understand and am supportive of your risk/benefit analysis. Our ankle biter dog had a mammary tumor removed last year. We didn't have it tested to see if it was cancerous because even if it was we weren't going to do chemo on an older dog. We love her for whatever time we have for her.

Since you're a nurse, maybe you can ask an orthopedic surgeon alternatives for torn ACLs in humans?

All the best for your Sable and whatever you decide to do.

As it turns out, I'm very familiar with ACL options in people. My ex-husband was a physicians assistant for an orthopedic surgeon who specialized in ACL reconstructions, then I ended up working on the ortho/trauma floor as a Case Manager. I've got enough general ortho knowledge to get by, and back and knee knowledge to hold a semi-intelligent conversation. Wink Apparently there are braces available for dogs, but they have to be custom made and they wear them when they're going out for their walks or runs, etc. We may look into that, but I don't know. There are a lot of things to consider. It will still be quite costly and wont help her day to day, but it will make a difference in her quality of life... she'd be able to go on the walks that she's always really enjoyed going on. She's a member of our family, just with four paws and fur instead of hands and hair. These aren't easy decisions to make.

I really appreciate y'all's support. It means a lot to know there are people out there who care.
Kaylayuh
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

My Birds : (R) denotes rescue birds
(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

Merlin, Gracie and Mercie my little Jack Yappers
44 chickens and 2 turkeys

PostSubject: Re: My Beauty isn't doing so well.   My Beauty isn't doing so well. EmptyTue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

It always hurts I know I think you are very responsible to analyze instead of taking the easy way out. At her age the healing will most likely be harder on her than learning not to stress it and she will favor it instead of hurting herself more. I will most certainly pray for both of you Sad
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: My Beauty isn't doing so well.   My Beauty isn't doing so well. EmptyTue May 24, 2011 2:22 pm

Here's some info on alternative therapy on dogs for torn acl:
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/ACL.HTM
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: My Beauty isn't doing so well.   My Beauty isn't doing so well. EmptyTue May 24, 2011 3:03 pm

It's hard having to think ahead about risk/cost/benefit, especially when a much-loved pet is the one in question. I'm sorry I have nothing helpful to add, only that I wish the best for you all and for Sable.
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: My Beauty isn't doing so well.   My Beauty isn't doing so well. EmptyThu May 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Big hugs and prayers going to you guys.

It sucks to have to make those choices about loved family members. I'm sure with the knowledge you have you can help her through. She's loved and well cared for...there's nothing more a good faithful pet needs Smile

Hug2
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: My Beauty isn't doing so well.   My Beauty isn't doing so well. EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 9:21 pm

How's your girl doing?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Beauty isn't doing so well.   My Beauty isn't doing so well. Empty

Back to top Go down

My Beauty isn't doing so well.
Page 1 of 1