Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Back with bad news

Go down 
+8
kaeladedah
ScooterNScotty
VickiNumbers
Margaret
henpecked
RogerP
Fallen_Parakeet
atlanon
12 posters
AuthorMessage
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

Back with bad news  Empty
PostSubject: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 6:13 pm

I always hate seeing posts like this, and I feel bad having this be my first post in what feels like forever, but I'm trying to get the word out. Yoshi flew from our house Sunday and is still missing.

I was cleaning his cage on the back porch and took the bottom tray out to clean it. He was at the top of the cage playing with a new toy, so I wasn't too worried about him getting distracted and climbing out the bottom. The cage was within arms distance of our double glass doors and I was sitting within eyesight of the cage cleaning. Not two minutes after I walked inside I heard him yell and as I looked up I saw a hawk had landed ON his cage. By the time I jumped to the door the hawk took off, but Yoshi had already panicked, fallen to the porch floor and taken off.

He was fully flighted and actually doing a great job recalling in the house, but he went straight over the treetops and was getting out of Dodge and no amount of yelling was making him turn around. I watched until I couldn't see him any more so that I knew which direction he went, but as best I can tell he's way out of my neighborhood.

I've posted flyers at vets and pet shops, contacted surrounding counties' animal controls, and posted on every internet outlet I can think of. If any of you have contacts in the Atlanta metro area I'd definitely appreciate spreading the word... if nothing else, get something from my mistake!! Some lessons are harder to learn than others Sad

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pet/3422967059.html
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
Fallen_Parakeet
Cockatiel
Fallen_Parakeet

My Birds : Pete (my parakeet)

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 9:10 pm

I am so sorry to hear about this! What a werid thing for a hawk to land on his cage..

I hope you find him. Back with bad news  1562621866 I have had lots of people post ads on Craigslist and find their lost pets. I have rescued a few from the streets and returned them to their owners that way. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 4:36 am

So shocked and sorry to hear this Lyz! I, unfortunately, am way too far away to properly help, but I will send my good thoughts and prayers that you will be reunited with Yoshi soon pray
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 6:39 am

Wow Lyz, Let us know if we can help in any way. Keeping you all in our thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi Lyz, I really, really hope you find Yoshi.

I copied your info with picture and placed it on FB
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Lyz - I shared Margaret's FB post with several groups I'm a member of and on my own page as well. I also shared it specifically with a friend of mine who lives in Marietta and asked her to share it and have HER friends share it too... We'll use social networking to it's fullest advantage to get Yoshi back.
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 2:46 pm

Thanks Vicki#s and Dusty so far for sharing.
I also pasted info on AA Forum, with picture and all info. http://forums.avianavenue.com/highway-home/98732-lost-male-eclectus-parrot-marietta-georgia.html
Liz, keeping my all fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 3:16 pm

Lyz, I'm so very sorry to hear this. I hope you are safely reunited soon. My brother lives in the Hoschton area, I'll ask him and his family to keep an eye open.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 6:34 pm

Thank you all so much. I'm afraid that online networking is the only way I'll get him back now, as it's been a full week and he didn't exactly want to hang around the area when he first took off.

I will absolutely keep you guys updated... in the past week I feel like I've done nothing but scour parrot websites and craigs list and watched every parrot youtube video that exists. It sucks Sad
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 7:36 pm

I know how heartbreaking this is, so I especially hope you get him back.

Call animal control, the non-emergency police and fire number, post flyers at pet shops, watch parrot alert, read forums, post online.

I hope you get him back.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 8:26 am

Is he banded or chipped?
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 11:18 am

He is banded, but not chipped.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 2:42 pm

That is awful. I can't even imagine if that happened to one of my guys.

I really hope he finds his way back to you safe and sound.

Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Do post flyers if you haven't already. And call every bird shop in the greater metro area. The bird shop I go to out here has a Grey that was brought in and the owner never turned up -- sometimes people will take a found bird to a shop.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 3:47 pm

I've posted flyers in all vets within about a 5 mile radius and put them on all the mailboxes in a few developments that are in the direction he flew. Most of the pet shops in my area have my information and I've also given it to animal control in surrounding counties, but the government employees have been particularly unhelpful. This week's list to call is follow-ups of the places I've already called, vets and pet shops in a bigger radius and trying to find local breeders or aviaries, though that one's been difficult.

We've had great weather during the day, but it's gotten below freezing the past two or three nights and I'm starting to worry. I feel like after a few more nights of this, the only way he'll still be recoverable is if someone has him and either doesn't know about the internet or is trying to sell him. Someone suggesting posting an "in search of pet eclectus" ad and I think I might try that if I can't make any headway.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 3:49 pm

Sorry for your loss. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 4:03 pm

i wish you the best at getting yoshi back...you are in my prayers

dusty
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Sad Oh my...I hope someone found him and has him safe in their home.

Crossing fingers, feathers and paws up here in Canada for his safe return.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 2:00 pm

No news, just wanted to say thanks again for the support, I didn't remember how much I missed you guys Hug2 I'm still keeping the word out and will let you guys know if I hear anything. Next week I'm hoping to go visit a local breeder just to help my fid withdrawal. She doesn't have ekkie babies, but she has amazons and macaws and I know they're well-kept, so it should be a good time.

And also, with the facebook alerts that went out (thank you very much, by the way), I ended up friending some of you that I hadn't already been friends with. I just wanted to let you know that I deactivated my facebook for personal reasons, so if you don't notice me on your lists anymore, it's not that I defriended you, I just defreinded facebook Smile
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 3:36 pm

don't give up hope...miracles still do happen

you may want to try this

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/271442542956733/

dusty
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Even if he doesn't come back to you, you can have hope that he's safe and sound somewhere. I've read enough anecdotes from the side of the person who found a bird that I think it is certainly possible. I still wonder if someone, somewhere is missing our Blanco, but the things we did to try to find that person didn't result in a connection.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 5:18 pm

That's what I told my mom, Deb! I said from now on, if I don't find him, I'm going to believe that he flew into the back yard of a little old lady who was mourning the loss of a loved one and he made kissy noises at her and she and her family are going to keep, love, and cherish him the rest of his days because she doesn't know how to use the internet to know that he's lost.

I may have added more details than necessary, but that's the story that makes me happy, so we're sticking to it. I love you
Back to top Go down
Fallen_Parakeet
Cockatiel
Fallen_Parakeet

My Birds : Pete (my parakeet)

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 9:01 pm

One of my family members found a dog.. it was in bad shape. Very well feed, but it's coat was a mess. Lots of tangles and weeds in it. Not only did she allow it into her house but also got him to a groomer. The dog is not sleeping in her bed and is all over the chairs. She took the dog to the groomer and they had to completely shave the dog. She posted ads everywhere, hoping someone would come and get the dog. No one has come forward yet. But she plans on keeping him, she isn't the person to take a animal to the shelter. She is very happy to have the dog though. Maybe this will happen to Yoshi if you don't find him. Happy thoughts to you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back with bad news    Back with bad news  Empty

Back to top Go down

Back with bad news
Page 1 of 1