Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Not quite a parrot tale...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Not quite a parrot tale... Empty
PostSubject: Not quite a parrot tale...   Not quite a parrot tale... EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 4:52 pm

So, Im sitting in my room, working on an anthropology paper.

I hear a lot of flapping going around my head. Usually, that wouldn't be too strange, but I knew for a fact that all the birds were in their cages. I went to check, and yes, they were all safely in their cages. I go back to the computer, and continue typing. Again, more flapping. And my birds go dead silent.

I go back, and there, sitting on the window ledge, helping himself to some millet is a house sparrow.

I have absolutely no idea how a sparrow got into the apartment. So, I spent an hour chasing him around the apartment. He kept flying into the bird room, and would swing on the hanging perches. I had a pillow case, so I could catch him without getting bitten. But really, this wild bird wasn't cooperating with my plan. I eventually get a hold of him. I should of put him in the case right away, but I was admiring the little bird. He nipped me, and wiggled out of my hand - my fault.

He then gets himself wedged between the air conditioner (which I hadn't taken down during winter, out of laziness). I couldn't just leave him there. The window was screwed shut, and I couldn't find my drill. I found a hammer, and hulk smashed that screw out of the wall. I then had to carefully pull the AC out of the window, without having the window slam shut, or hurting the bird. I managed to get it out, and out flies my little sparrow.

Figured I'd call the health helpline, to make sure if it would be a smart idea to get a tetanus shot. I tell the nurse I got bit by a wild bird, and she tells me:

"ah, yes, I can hear the bird in the background"

"Nope, that's my pet bird"

No broken skin, no mark, not even a little scratch. Just had to scrub my hands.

I just hope there weren't any diseases or mites passed on to my birds. I'll be keeping a close eye on them.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Not quite a parrot tale...   Not quite a parrot tale... EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 10:44 pm

That was quite the adventure! It's not a bad idea to be cautious, but I'll bet there is very little chance of the little guy having anything your birds would catch.

How's the Charlie bird?
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Not quite a parrot tale...   Not quite a parrot tale... EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 1:07 pm

Charlie bird is settled very nicely. You would of never guessed that he hadn't been handled in years.

He loves coming out of his cage. When I enter the room, he starts bobbing his head and chirping. He knows step up, and will step up happily.

Einstein and Charlie aren't quite best friends, but they get along. I can actually tell Einstein to give Charlie a kiss, and he'll walk up to him and give him a little peck on the beak.

Charlie is also extremely quiet. He gets loud though when he sees me come home and demands to be heard.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Not quite a parrot tale...   Not quite a parrot tale... EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 12:18 am

Zaza, you made me laugh Not quite a parrot tale... 3437489089

(there is the bug/bird catcher in the dollar store it might be helpful for such an situations)
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Not quite a parrot tale...   Not quite a parrot tale... EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:56 pm

It's so strange! I've never had a bird get in before. Windows all closed, no door leading to the outside...Never thought I'd ever need a net before lol

I'm not paranoid. Whenever I hear wings flap, I check all over the apartment for uninvited guests.

I haven't heard from you in a while Margaret! Hows the flock holding up?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not quite a parrot tale...   Not quite a parrot tale... Empty

Back to top Go down

Not quite a parrot tale...
Page 1 of 1