Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :) Empty
PostSubject: BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :)   BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :) EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 1:20 am

This is one of the dishes that I got from the store owner where I got Bucky, JJ, and Posei. Interestingly, my three birds aren't huge fans of it, but almost everyone else there is. I thought I'd share it because it's such a hit with all of the "normal" fids! LOL!

Birdie Spaghetti (BIRdie-GHEtti)
Everyone knows how to make spaghetti with a jar of spaghetti sauce, right? This is much the same. You can make a big batch for the fids and freeze it in serving-size portions, or you can make a batch for people, add a little bit extra for the fids, and everyone have Italian for dinner that night.

What you need:

Spaghetti Sauce, preferably organic, low-sodium. Make sure there are NO mushrooms.
Spaghetti noodles.
Ground Turkey, cooked and drained. (The amount you use will be your preference. Usually about 1/2 lb per jar of sauce)
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Carrots
Bell Pepper (Red and/or Green)
Black beans (A can of beans is fine as long as there is no salt added. Just rinse and drain prior to adding.)
Whatever other vegs your family (feathered or otherwise) enjoys eating. Smile

There are two ways this can be done. In most cases, raw, uncooked vegs are best for the fids, but they don't go well in spaghetti. Wink If you have young children and you'd like to "sneak" veggies into their meals, this is a good way to do it.

Cook the pasta the same way you usually do.

While the sauce is heating up, throw the veggies, except for the beans, into the food processor and pulse them until they're finely hashed. (Think freshly mowed grass.) You don't want them to be mush, but you do want them to be small enough that they'll cook really fast. If you stick to what is on the list, you shouldn't have a problem with over-processing them to the point of mush because the water content in these veggies is fairly low. If you add squash or zucchini (they're yummy!) process them separately and in small batches - they'll turn to mush quickly.
When the sauce is hot (just as it starts to boil), add the turkey, processed veggies and beans.
Simmer until meat and beans are warmed through and veggies are tender-cooked. (10-15 minutes)
~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#

My kiddos are SO past the point of eating anything that doesn't taste the way it does at a friends house or at the restaurant. So sneaking in veggies is out of the question for me.

I just make the meat sauce and pasta for the family and make a separate bowl of mixed pasta, sauce, veggies (raw) and beans that I give to the fids. That way, everyone is happy.

Whatever left-overs remain go to the birds. I mix together the veggies, extra sauce, and pasta, then use an ice-cream scoop to dish out serving-size amounts into zip-lock baggies for freezing. I've also been known to throw in some quinoa or rice that's in the 'fridge as well. I'm a master at making left-overs count for my fids! LOL!

I know I'm not good at writing recipes, so if I left anything out or if you have questions, let me know and I'll be glad to help out. Smile
~Vicki
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :)   BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :) EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 1:24 am

Not enough that it's something I would never think to cook for my Monsters, but you make me hungry. I have to absolutely try this BIRdie-GHEtti for all of us! Muchas Gracias
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :)   BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :) EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 1:35 am

Margaret wrote:
Not enough that it's something I would never think to cook for my Monsters, but you make me hungry. I have to absolutely try this BIRdie-GHEtti for all of us! Muchas Gracias

You are more than welcome! I hope you enjoy it! Balloon
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :)   BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :) EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 12:15 pm

Ok, I have to confess that after reading the recipe I headed to the kitchen to scrounge up some food. Your recipe made my stomach growl. I would have cooked it up, but it was too late last night so I had to settle for a sammich.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :)   BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :) EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 2:54 pm

I want me some Birdie-Ghetti (said in greasy italian accent)
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :)   BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :) EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 5:18 pm

Yay! This is how my spaghetti is in general. My husband started eating veggies again this way Smile I usually just start with cut up tomatoes (I can do fresh now because it's in season!) and then mince up all the veggies I can think of. Put it on to simmer and voila! Pasta sauce. It's now as saucey as some people like...but it's tasty!

Mmm...
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :)   BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :) EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 6:06 pm

LOL! Y'all are FUNNY!! Julsiebean

With your scrounging and greasy accents, I was
vicki 5280 (<--OMG! That's ME! LOL! I didn't know! LMAO!)

And Manda, marinara with veggies is nommy nommy, isn't it? I totally LOVE it!!!

I vicki 5280 CAN'T vicki 5280 BELIEVE vicki 5280 THIS vicki 5280 IS vicki 5280 ME! vicki 5280
vicki 5280 vicki 5280 vicki 5280 vicki 5280 vicki 5280 vicki 5280 vicki 5280 vicki 5280

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :)   BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :) EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 6:18 pm

You made me vicki 5280 vicki 5280
Wait, WHAT, YOU are vicki 5280 ?!??!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :)   BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :) EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 2:07 am

I YAM! I yam!!! I am :Vicki 5280: ! Lolol!!! vicki 5280
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :)   BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :) EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 2:08 am

vicki 5280 vicki 5280
Awww Vicki we're SO immature! tragedy
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :)   BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :) EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 3:23 am

I know! Isn't it wonderful to have someplace to be immature without judgement? My kids would die if they knew this was the way I felt on the inside. Smile

To them, I'm their "old" mom. In my head I'm still 21, cute, skinny, funny, and a good dancer and singer! vicki 5280
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :)   BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :) EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 3:48 am

I see you as a gal my age! flappinhappy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :)   BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :) Empty

Back to top Go down

BIRdie-GHEtti (Said with an Italian accent :)
Page 1 of 1