Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?

Go down 
+7
RogerP
ScooterNScotty
patdbunny
evil chicken
Jan
Vikki
GlassOnion
11 posters
AuthorMessage
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? Empty
PostSubject: What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?   What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 1:48 pm

If you had to choose the one quality you thought was the most valuable to you, what would it be?

Independence?
Cuddliness?
Talkability?
Intelligence?
Playfulness?
Etc?
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?   What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Personality
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
Jan
Parrotlet
Jan

My Birds : Sputnik - Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?   What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 1:56 pm

Before I got a bird, I thought cuddliness was my topmost quality, but when I was really looking at species, I really narrowed my top criteria as being sweet. I'm not really sure if "sweet" is a species quality or simply an individual thing though. When I was caring for a Quaker, she was uber cuddly and super intelligent, and I loved playing with her, but she'd bite me at random times for what I thought was no reason. If Sputnik nips at me it's not a bloody mess but most importantly I understand why he bit.

I love Sputnik for his intelligence, playfulness, curiosity and talking abilities, but mostly I love him because he is so very very sweet.
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?   What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 1:58 pm

It's difficult to choose one trait. Birds have so many facets, and for companion birds a lot of those are important.

If I had to pick only one, it would be tolerance level. I guess I mean friendliness by that. I would want a bird I can hand to my little cousins and it won't bite them for petting it a little roughly. It wouldn't have to be all snuggly or love being with people, but it would be fine with anyone. I would WANT cuddliness and playfulness, but for me those aren't quite as important.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?   What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 2:17 pm

Adaptability. Change is not too upsetting, being able to recover from a traumatic experience, not freaking out over things. I do believe adaptability can be taught, preferably when the bird's still very young and impressionable.

Jan - Does Sputnik talk? What does he say? It always amazes me that the budgies talk. It's very cute.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?   What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 2:45 pm

I can't pinpoint one trait, it depends on the over all personality. I love different things about different birds. I like birds that like being handled.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?   What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 3:10 pm

Loveableness.

How's that for a super-scientific approach to the issue? I can't even define it really. I could make a laundry list of characteristics I'd prefer or not prefer, but at the end of the day, I want to love the little critter despite all its annoying qualities and just plain because they make me smile.

A famous horseman once said, of buying a top level competition horse at that, that once you had verified the horse had all the qualities you needed, that the most important thing was that you like him and want to see that head hanging out your stall door every morning, because he may be laid up, or things may not work out, and he'll still be yours.
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?   What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 3:48 pm

I would agree with Julsie, I love a bird that likes to be handled. That and intelligence (even though this often ends up bitin me in the backside What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? 820986233 )
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?   What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 3:56 pm

what i want out of a bird is the same as i want out of my dogs, love , affection, playfulness, obedience, intelligence, and no pooping on me...well ok i got all of them except the last one, but we are working on that....lol

dusty
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?   What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 4:29 pm

thats a hard one...
personality is a big factor, I think. probably the biggest for me actually.
other things I like about rainbow is her handleability and her cuddliness as well as her mischevious streak.. I asked my dad if we were going to add another bird, would he want another cockatiel? and he replied "oh definetly another conure. they're so, whats the word, personable? if only they weren't so loud." which say quite a lot considering he hates(!) rainbow's screeches
Back to top Go down
Jan
Parrotlet
Jan

My Birds : Sputnik - Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?   What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 8:28 pm

patdbunny wrote:
Adaptability. Change is not too upsetting, being able to recover from a traumatic experience, not freaking out over things. I do believe adaptability can be taught, preferably when the bird's still very young and impressionable.

Jan - Does Sputnik talk? What does he say? It always amazes me that the budgies talk. It's very cute.

All of these comments are great and what I want to say too! lol.

Oh Sputnik talks up a storm! My sister says it sounds like I'm in the room talking to him when he's chatting away. : )
He says:
Pretty bird
Good bird
Whatcha doin?
P-P-P-Pipsqueak! (with the stutter too. Pipsqueak is my sister's budgie. He spent three days at her house and learned to say this in that short time!)
I love you
Sputnik
Sweet little bird
budgie
Itty bitty pretty bird
Step up
he coughs & makes kissing noises
Kiss
Poopie (often pairs this with good or Pipsqueak!!)
So happy to see you
What's up?

and that's all I can think of - I really should write them down. And then he chatters too with words I can't understand. :Sputnik:
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?   What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 10:19 pm

I must agree with Roz,Adaptability,that just about covers it,i consider adaptability very closely related to early socialization(proper socialization), you can have a great pet around the living room with you and your other , but to have a pet that goes everywhere and dose every thing and can be nonagressive with strangers is a true blessing,How cool is it that Yoshi get s to go on vacation instead of being alone at home.Having a fid who trust you completely and can adapt to any situation so long as she's with you is a very unique relationship and opens a world of possibilities.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?   What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 11:39 pm

Jan wrote:

Oh Sputnik talks up a storm! My sister says it sounds like I'm in the room talking to him when he's chatting away. : )
He says:
Pretty bird
Good bird
Whatcha doin?
P-P-P-Pipsqueak! (with the stutter too. Pipsqueak is my sister's budgie. He spent three days at her house and learned to say this in that short time!)
I love you
Sputnik
Sweet little bird
budgie
Itty bitty pretty bird
Step up
he coughs & makes kissing noises
Kiss
Poopie (often pairs this with good or Pipsqueak!!)
So happy to see you
What's up?

and that's all I can think of - I really should write them down. And then he chatters too with words I can't understand. What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? 3784358864
Oh my! That is soooo cool. Now I want a tame talking budgie.

henpecked wrote:
but to have a pet that goes everywhere and dose every thing and can be nonagressive with strangers is a true blessing,How cool is it that Yoshi get s to go on vacation instead of being alone at home.Having a fid who trust you completely and can adapt to any situation so long as she's with you is a very unique relationship and opens a world of possibilities.

Yes. Everyone loves Ducky. I take him with me to show people what their baby will grow into. I see it in their eyes - they don't want another bird, they want DUCKY!

And how many CAG's would put up with being jumped and wrestled into a harness (I should say how many owners would be left with enough blood afterwards)? Mine did with plenty of kisses afterwards.

Camping or RVing for 2 weeks - all the pet birds come along.

It ends up like having a beloved dog that you just take everywhere without a second thought.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?   What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 11:46 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
If you had to choose the one quality you thought was the most valuable to you, what would it be?

Independence?
Cuddliness?
Talkability?
Intelligence?
Playfulness?
Etc?
Seriously, I can't choose only one quality. It's like with other animals: I love them, because they bring so much joy in my life. I love to watch them, play with them, talk to them. I love the fact, that when I'm coming home from work they are there and I see them happy to see me. I guess everything matters a bit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?   What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is the one most important trait in a companion bird for you?
Page 1 of 1