Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the species you don't like?

Go down 
+12
dusty
o'TikaandAurora
VickiNumbers
flappinhappy
evil chicken
Margaret
Vikki
patdbunny
zazanomore
hannahbird
GlassOnion
moa
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

My Birds : (R) denotes rescue birds
(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

Merlin, Gracie and Mercie my little Jack Yappers
44 chickens and 2 turkeys

the species you don't like? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 12:34 am

I will most likely one day have to retract this as the only ones I have had any contact with are breeders but #1 is a quaker they are like little Napoleons #2 is the IRN's psychotic is the word that comes to mind, and#3 this one is written in stone. Lovebirds just nothing there nothing, I think I would have a grackle first.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 1:27 am

Cockatoo. Never in a million years. Nope. No way. They're louder than the tornado sirens outside our house, and I'm quite certain that they're genetically bipolar. HOWEVER, I'd be happy to 'too sit for a while, or even foster for a period of time. I just don't think I could make the forever commitment to a 'too. I'm afraid it'd drive me crazy.

Also, as fun as Grey's are to listen to for a while, I've never been drawn to them either. Don't know why.
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 1:34 am

VickiNumbers wrote:
Cockatoo. Never in a million years. Nope. No way. They're louder than the tornado sirens outside our house, and I'm quite certain that they're genetically bipolar. HOWEVER, I'd be happy to 'too sit for a while, or even foster for a period of time. I just don't think I could make the forever commitment to a 'too. I'm afraid it'd drive me crazy.

I agree with the forever commitment! It probably isn't for me when it comes to 'toos. The thing that does tempt me about 'toos is that I bet it would be a blast to make toys and foraging for them. That's one of my favorite part about keeping parrots- coming up with fun ways to entertain them.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 1:38 am

LOL! Y'all mention IRN's...
The first time I walked into the bird store, I went in looking for a Quaker. They didn't have any at the time, so I just started looking around and saw these amazing birds! They seemed to be soooo smart, I sat and watched them play for close to 20 minutes. Turns out they were IRNs. I wanted to take one home with me. As it turns out, it's a good thing I didn't. On subsequent visits I heard them shriek, and OMG!! I still think I'd love the bird and honestly I could handle the call, but my husband couldn't stand it. He'd make me return the bird - and that would be terrible for me (and the bird!).

But IRN's are still on my "love" list. Smile

Quakers? They're falling off. Especially spoiled ones like Bucky!

Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 1:41 am

moa wrote:

I agree with the forever commitment! It probably isn't for me when it comes to 'toos. The thing that does tempt me about 'toos is that I bet it would be a blast to make toys and foraging for them. That's one of my favorite part about keeping parrots- coming up with fun ways to entertain them.
Yeah, if you want to make a full time job of it! LOL! vicki 5280
Back to top Go down
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

My Birds : Tim (Red Wing Parrot)
Prince (Blue Princess Parrot)
Chicken (Pearl Gray Tiel)
Malolo (Cinnamon Pied Tiel)
Aurora (Yellow Sided GCC)
o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 8:18 am

I don't think I could ever have a Senegal or a Poi, they just don't do anything for me. I'm sure they're lovely, but they just don't do anything for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 9:26 am

I'm not into the african parrots bar the TAGS/CAGS and lovebirds.
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 11:01 am

i like them all, but couldn't keep a lorikeet because of the mess...if i could i would though

dusty
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 3:12 pm

So far, every time I've thought I had an aversion to a species, I've met an individual that appealed. So I'm in the never-say-never camp. There are a lot of species I probably wouldn't go out of my way to try to add to my flock, in most cases for practical reasons, but I'm not a Poi person and we have a Cape! And he's adorable, I would not trade him for the world. I thought I had a real dislike of Senegals, but we met a baby one that was seriously cute. Likewise with Greys.

I wouldn't go out of my way to a acquire a Grey or a 'too because of their high maintenance reputations. And, with 'toos, noise.
I think lorikeets are adorable and if I had a setup I could hose down a couple times a day, I'd definitely consider it, but not in my living room.
Macaws could be great fun and they are beautiful, but our neighbors are far too near for that.
Amazons don't wow me, but if I met the right one, I could be converted.
The larger conures I can imagine I'd enjoy, but the noise/suburb factor applies again.
Quakers are not permitted here.

But if someone came up to me and said "This bird, this one right here, needs a home" -- and I felt drawn to it -- it could wind up coming home with me. Shhhhh don't tell my husband. Although, I told him about the Galah Roz mentioned that likes men, and he popped up out of nowhere a day later and asked, "Should we go get that bird?".
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 3:19 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Although, I told him about the Galah Roz mentioned that likes men, and he popped up out of nowhere a day later and asked, "Should we go get that bird?".
YES! YES! GO GET HIM!!

He's at Our Feathered Friends. And he's not bad on the "don't like women" thing. EC was holding him and he was spazzing on her hand like a cockatiel does. She didn't flinch. She also said he wasn't hurting her. He's trying to intimidate. He'll lose interest in trying to intimidate you if you don't react.

Start wrestling with him on a perch and he jumps into your arms.

He's also a very good price for a galah. He's the one they're calling "Max".
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 3:30 pm

How much is he, she asked, cringing... we really couldn't until after Bill is done with Death Valley this summer, we are going to be away a lot in July and August.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 4:00 pm

Roz would probably be more than happy to Galah-sit for you!!!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 4:22 pm

He's $1,000.
I might go by today and see if he's still there.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 8:02 pm

You folk are going to get me in trouble!
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 11:15 pm

Doesn't one of our topic headings tell everyone to watch out for patdbunny the species you don't like? - Page 2 3437489089 ? (though when it comes to getting more birds its not just her).
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 12:57 am

He's still there. EC now agrees with me that he's a very cool bird.
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 1:16 am

patdbunny wrote:
He's still there. EC now agrees with me that he's a very cool bird.
................she HAD to have us stop by Our Feathered Friends again..............

Max is SOOOOO CUUUUUUTE!!! He doesn't bite, he's just a little brat who thinks he can intimidate people by "biting" (putting his beak on your hand and spazzing). Once you get him to realize he's not going to scare you he's so sweet! I just want to roll him around and cuddle him like a puppy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Roz, I looked on the website and the don't have photos of their for-sale birds. We were toying with going down your way next weekend as it's Bill's 55th birthday and he wants to workout 55 miles, more fun someplace with new scenery (it is really hard to go 55 miles in the greater LA area without winding up somewhere you don't want to be!) If we do, I thought I might try to meet up with you and EC for coffee or something. Plans like this, with us, have a way of not happening, but it is a possibility. We need to escape Carmageddon (snort)... although now I think of it, we'd have to leave earlyish on Friday and avoid the 405 coming home.

Are they likely to deal on price if we are so foolish as to pursue this?
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 3:36 pm

GET!!! HIM!!!

I need pictures!!!
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 4:51 pm

I agree!!
Back to top Go down
coldtrance
Parrotlet
coldtrance

My Birds : Im lonely without my Sammy.
On the market for a new FID.

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 11:52 pm

SnS you soooooooo have to get him! Ive visted that store and met Max as well. Hes a sweetie and a half. I picked him up and cuddled him like a baby, it was so cute.
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 11:56 pm

and maybe then your hubby can finally have a bird of his own. or max might just fall for you as well HaHaHa
anywho now I want pics....
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 12:36 am

Hurr hurr... Where's my mom and her fortune cookies?

It could turn into a party if you guys do decide to come down, S&S!
Rozthe species you don't like? - Page 2 3437489089 ECthe species you don't like? - Page 2 3495386485 Max the species you don't like? - Page 2 1958580474 S&S the species you don't like? - Page 2 1712405488S&S's husband-who-needs-a-'too the species you don't like? - Page 2 1712405488 & ColdTrance (at least maybe?)the species you don't like? - Page 2 932634153
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 1:28 am

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Roz, I looked on the website and the don't have photos of their for-sale birds. We were toying with going down your way next weekend as it's Bill's 55th birthday and he wants to workout 55 miles, more fun someplace with new scenery (it is really hard to go 55 miles in the greater LA area without winding up somewhere you don't want to be!) If we do, I thought I might try to meet up with you and EC for coffee or something. Plans like this, with us, have a way of not happening, but it is a possibility. We need to escape Carmageddon (snort)... although now I think of it, we'd have to leave earlyish on Friday and avoid the 405 coming home.

Are they likely to deal on price if we are so foolish as to pursue this?
This Saturday EC and I will be volunteering w/ Friends of Cats until 2 p.m., so we could meet up with you at about 3 p.m. or later (maybe at the bird store?)

As for dealing on the price, I asked them yesterday. The guy said need to ask the owner. I can't remember the owner's name, but you could always call and find out when she's there. Not sure how negotiable they'd be. $1,000's not a bad retail price on a tame galah. They have a second store location and we were there today. The second store has an UNtame galah for $1,000. Someone else in our area's selling an older tame galah for $1,500.

Fortune Cookie Say: Husband needs to get in touch with his feminine side and get a pink bird.

coldtrance wrote:
SnS you soooooooo have to get him! Ive visted that store and met Max as well. Hes a sweetie and a half. I picked him up and cuddled him like a baby, it was so cute.
Was he "mean" to you at first?
He's a turd and a half in the beginning. He majorly bluffs and spazzes, but our little sun's play bites are harder than that galah's! Yesterday when we were there the store was closing so I had to be quick about the visit. I ran up to his cage and stuck my hand through the bars without him getting a chance to see who I was. He started attacking my hand, but it didn't so much as pinch. I left my hand there and told him to calm down and he did right away. Mind you, I don't generally unexpectedly poke my hand into a cockatoo's cage unless I'm pretty confident of what the reaction will be. He is SUCH a misunderstood sweetie pie!!

SnS - I'll feel so bad if he bites you! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 3:36 pm

patdbunny wrote:
SnS - I'll feel so bad if he bites you! Embarassed

Oh, trust, me, were that to happen, I would NEVER let your forget! LOL.

I really don't know if any of this is in the cards, but I'm doing a little scheming.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

the species you don't like?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next