Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Long absences

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nevermore
Cockatiel

My Birds : Captain Jack Parrot: Green-cheeked Conure

Cheeky/Sir Cheeks - Cockatiel

Long absences Empty
PostSubject: Long absences   Long absences EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 am

Can your birds get accustomed to you being AWOL for long periods of time, on a regular basis? I'm kind of wondering what my boy will do this time around. I'm suppose to leave for my third 20 day rotation in a few days. The first time home, he acted like nothing had changed and he acted like his usual self.

The second time home, he went banana's trying to kill my hand. Then immediately turned all lovey-dovey and has been a cuddlebug for the entire time....but I think that is related to his hormones. I'm having issues getting him to sleep early (he pulled out a few more feathers too). I'll cover him with a black sheet, pull the blinds and turn off the light. but he wont sleep. He'll sit there and chirp and eat for a few hours. THEN sleep. Anyway, anytime I leave him alone now, he starts yelling like crazy and tries to fly after me.

Anyway....can they ever get use to it? And understand that you ARE coming home?
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Long absences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long absences   Long absences EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 8:35 am

My amazons seem to handle it well but they have someone who is around all the time ,someone who is there even when i'm there, i'm just the favorite,sure they go crazy when i come home and i think they miss me when i'm gone ,but they seem to handle it ok.GCC on the other hand seem to have seperation issues , this view is from reading other peoples post,SnS's Scooter is "mad" at her it seems when she returns home .I know Deb has posted on this several times ,but i'm unsure if she has found a solution.I'm not familiar with your home situation but maybe when Jack is screaming for you ,send in a not favorite person to talk to him ,this is in hopes he'll take comfort from some one other than you, and will help with the screaming for attention.I hope this is some help but maybe Deb has some better suggestions.
Back to top Go down

Long absences
Page 1 of 1