Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about? Empty
PostSubject: How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about?   How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about? EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 10:36 pm

I mean: human talking. Budgies and Chico talk birds only.
Lucky is talking, but I have a hard time to understand what he is talking. So far he is good at repeating me b.....ing at Chico,
Pretty Bird,
What you doing?
What's the matter?
Chico,
Que Pasa?
Good Bird,
Lucky
I know he is talking more, but I can't understand that. It takes time to understand them?
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about?   How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about? EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 11:55 pm

Que pasa? Laughing
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about?   How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about? EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:17 pm

OH yeah! It takes time! They have to practice for a while to get the words right. It's funny listening to Bucky practice his "talking." We'll be in the other room, and we'll hear him say something we can't understand, and he'll say it over and over again slightly differently each time. It may be a few weeks before we're able to understand what he's been trying to say.

If he's practicing, in other words, mostly talking to himself... or as Cal says, "just making friggin NOISE!", I just let him talk without trying to talk back (unless I've figured out what he's trying to say, then I'll say the word he's using so he has something to copy). If he's using the word I don't understand and talking TO me, I'll try and mimic it back to him as close as I can, sometimes I'm able to figure out what he's trying to say that way.

I went through a phase thinking I wouldn't enjoy having a bird that spoke, that it would be kind of creepy, but I REALLY like having Bucky around. His speaking voice is soooo cute! It's like a really cute Donald Duck kind of voice - except better. JJ hasn't said anything more than "step-up." I don't think she'll ever be one of the talking birds, which is fine - that's not why I got her. Smile I got her to be pretty and cause problems, and she's fulfilled THOSE roles 1000% already ... and she's not even a year old! The rest is bonus time! LOL!

But anyway, to answer your question again, There's not a magic answer. It takes as long as it takes... And what's been funny with Bucky is that we'll hear him say something very distinctly one time, then never say it again... So who knows what goes on in their head? They're crazy, they're birds!

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about?   How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about? EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:24 pm

I think it depends on how often you're around the bird. I'm convinced that no one else would ever be able to understand Piper or Cheney Bird, but since I'm here with them all day, I can. Piper babbles a lot and practices what sounds like "pretty bird" or "pretty Piper." Cheney Bird sounds like he says "pretty bird", "hey birdy", "Piper" and "step up". I'm not convinced they actually say any of those, but more that it's what I want to hear, lol.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about?   How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about? EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 5:45 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Que pasa? Laughing

Regular. ¿Y tu?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Basically "How's it going?" in Spanish.

It does take time. I also think that one can help the process along by guessing what it's supposed to be and saying it back.

I'm very afraid Scooter has started throwing F-bombs and I have no idea how he learned that! That one I don't repeat. All I need is a small green bird that swears like a sailor.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about?   How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about? EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 6:07 pm

VickiNumbers wrote:
(...) His speaking voice is soooo cute! It's like a really cute Donald Duck kind of voice - except better. JJ(...)
You have me here! Couldn't find a better expression by myself! How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about? 3437489089

SnS, I'm afraid, that Lucky will come also with some F... bombs in Spanish/Polish Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about?   How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about? Empty

Back to top Go down

How long it takes you to understand what your parrot is talking about?
Page 1 of 1