Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs

Go down 
+8
moa
patdbunny
zazanomore
atlanon
hannahbird
GlassOnion
kaeladedah
ScooterNScotty
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs Empty
PostSubject: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 7:14 pm

Might as well figure out what I might be getting into! Although, I think there may be something wrong with a person whose flock assemblage strategy seems to be "collect birds which have been at the store too long". OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs 419367009
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 8:06 pm

Typical cockatoo. They have the ability to be loud and destructive and bond heavily with their owners. They're not known for being as loud or as neurotic as the larger cockatoos, but as this bird has been in a store most of his life, I'd be on the look out for problem 'too behaviors.

Both males and females can learn to talk, but they're not particularly well known for it. They do tend to purr like a cat, though. I've also heard they tend to dislike being handled constantly, but I'm not too sure how accurate that is.

Galah's are prone to developing fatty tumors so seed restriction is very important. They're known for becoming unpredictable once they reach maturity.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 8:14 pm

They're considered the dumbest of the 'toos. Razz
Back to top Go down
hannahbird
African Grey
hannahbird

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 8:15 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
Galah's are prone to developing fatty tumors so seed restriction is very important. They're known for becoming unpredictable once they reach maturity.
This!! If you're gonna get a galah I would definitely keep him flighted. And if I was ever gonna get a cockatoo it would be a galah. Their beaks are more manageable, and they are soo darn cute!
I've read that both males and females are great talkers. They are also very affectionate. And KayLayUh pretty much summed everything up.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 8:29 pm

All of what Kaela said is what I've researched. I haven't researched cockatoos as a whole as much as I've just done reading on the galah, so I couldn't compare them to their brothers and sisters. I know there are mixed feeling about this one... but for what it's worth, she has more than one and these are her thoughts on being kept as pets. I can't wait to meet one, I know I've said before that color isn't the best way to pick a bird, but they're just so fun looking!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 9:02 pm

I'm not arguing for a junk food diet, but is there a site with information linking lipomas (fatty tumors) to dietary fat? I couldn't find one readily. Lyz thanks for that, that was an interesting site. My husband had a 'too once, I think it was an Umbrella and he dearly loved that bird. Unfortunately, it got PBFD.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 9:36 pm

They're pretty OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs 4014162036
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 10:14 pm

Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 10:25 pm

Those articles suggest more of a correlation with obesity than diet, and the dietary component appears to be speculative or anecdotal -- I'll wager it's not well studied. Does seem to affect the same species that are prone to obesity.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 10:35 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Those articles suggest more of a correlation with obesity than diet, and the dietary component appears to be speculative or anecdotal -- I'll wager it's not well studied. Does seem to affect the same species that are prone to obesity.

I don't think most health issues have been studied in birds. That said, I haven't found any study stating that a fat laden diet increases the risk of lipomas. Those are the best resources I've found and they seem to agree that a combination of genetics and a diet high in fat and low in vitamin E correlate with the development of lipomas.

One of those articles suggests that the liver in certain species -- specifically budgies and Galahs -- is unable to properly digest the fat of a high seed diet and stimulates the tumors to grow. Most avian vets that I've found have suggested that a low fat, vitamin E rich diet is benefical for these particular species. Common treatment once a lipoma is diagnosed is also a modified diet with less fat and more vitamin E and occasionally surgery if the bird is a good candidate for it.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 pm

That actually presents a bit of a conundrum since Vitamin E is fat soluble and the main sources are high in fat unless you are supplementing it specifically. Sunflower seeds are one of the foods highest in Vitamin E, FWIW. I did not read the articles exhaustively, but the correlation that stood out to me was with obesity... which makes more logical sense to me since excess calories wind up as fat no matter what they started out as, and since I can well imagine the body process that lead to fat production somehow going into overdrive. I do realize that the Australian birds appear to need a lower-fat diet than some other species. I guess I'm just reacting with some skepticism to the logic that argues "because the tumor is made of fat, it must come from eating too much fat".
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:23 am

I'm not gonna lie, I'm very partial to the 'too faces because I have a Cockatiel. But I know my heart calls for the Macaws and the Amazons..
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 8:51 am

ScooterNScotty wrote:
That actually presents a bit of a conundrum since Vitamin E is fat soluble and the main sources are high in fat unless you are supplementing it specifically.

I'm pretty sure once a lipoma is diagnosed, the recommended treatment is a low fat diet supplemented with Vitamin E, not natural occuring sources of Vitamin E. I should've been more clear.

Like you said, Australian species have a tendency toward becoming obese and/or developing health issues related to it. Obviously I know you're not going to be feeding any bird a strictly seed diet, but I'd be particularly careful to limit the amount of seeds in the case of any Cockatoo. Aside from the fact that excess seed can and does cause health issues, cockatoos are notoriously difficult to convert to a better diet once they're hooked.

Aside from that, I would consider leaving the bird flighted. I know you do partial clips on Scooter and Scotty, so I'm not sure how ammenable you are to a fully flighted bird. But it appears that flight is a particularly important aspect of ownership for the Australian species because they are so prone to becoming overweight and sedentary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 am

Okay so now I am obsessed with Galahs. THANKS. Also, Deb, I want your brain. With a nice chianti. Cool
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 11:37 am

Also, I'd venture a guess and say that a fat laden diet is suspect because of the strain it puts on the liver. It's been hypothesized that the liver can't process fats as well in certain species as in others.

I would personally guess that if the liver is unable to process fats as well in certain species, a fatty diet could slow the liver process in control of fat regulation even more. Once that process is slowed to a certain point, the unprocessed fat has no where else to go and becomes a lipoma.

I'm not sure how accurate that is as it's basically me hypothesizing. But it's something to consider.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 12:36 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
Typical cockatoo. They have the ability to be loud and destructive and bond heavily with their owners. They're not known for being as loud or as neurotic as the larger cockatoos, but as this bird has been in a store most of his life, I'd be on the look out for problem 'too behaviors.
This particular bird's not been in the store most of its life. Several months for sure. I don't remember how long he's actually been there.

KayLayUh wrote:
Both males and females can learn to talk, but they're not particularly well known for it. They do tend to purr like a cat, though. I've also heard they tend to dislike being handled constantly, but I'm not too sure how accurate that is.
I haven't heard him speak human.

KayLayUh wrote:
Galah's are prone to developing fatty tumors so seed restriction is very important.
Max is fat for sure. He needs to go on a diet for sure. But I did feel him pretty extensively and didn't feel any fatty tumours. A vet will be able to better assess. I just squeezed him all over like fruit.
The store's policies: 7 day health period; 1 year trade in. I do not believe they give a free vet check.

KayLayUh wrote:
They're known for becoming unpredictable once they reach maturity.
He's already mature. Probably why he squeaks women.

GlassOnion wrote:
They're considered the dumbest of the 'toos. Razz
Dumb in a high maintenance emotional animal can be a good thing. Humans like "smart" animals, but most humans cannot keep up with a smart animal. A dumb english bull dog that takes 8 hours to figure out that you went to work before deciding to destroy the house is a "better" pet for most people than a border collie that figures out you went to work in 2 minutes and decides to destroy the house all day long.

Our prior M2 - he was smart. He knew the rule was don’t leave your playpen or top of the cage. I think he knew the rule. When he destroyed my friend’s exercise bike, he didn’t break the rule. He got around the rule by keeping his feet on the playpen and reaching over to chew on the bike.

hannahbird wrote:
Their beaks are more manageable, and they are soo darn cute!
His beak is ridiculously tiny for his body. His beak’s the size of our sun conure’s.

Let me tell you why I’m not getting him. I’ve lived with toos over the years. At this point in my life and current interest in birds, I know I cannot give what a too needs emotionally. The way I raise babies is to treat each one as though it were to become my personal pet. I give them attention, they hang out with the family, they go on errands with me, etc. Given the way I raise babies, I’d have a hard time allotting the time and attention a too would need.

EC was thinking about how much money she’s saved as to whether or not she could afford to bust Max out of jail. I told her she wasn’t a bird person enough to have a cockatoo. She gets pretty annoyed as the mess her three make. I told her if that’s all the destruction from a cockatoo, she’d be happy.

Your husband’s lived with a too before. He enjoys them and knows what to expect. I think you guys would do well, behaviorally, with a too.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:03 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
Okay so now I am obsessed with Galahs. THANKS. Also, Deb, I want your brain. With a nice chianti. Cool
I was a little obsessed with the Galahs before, but yeah. Ditto all this. I wish I had the patience to focus and understand half of what Deb writes Shocked

patdbunny wrote:
Max is fat for sure. He needs to go on a diet for sure. But I did feel him pretty extensively and didn't feel any fatty tumours. A vet will be able to better assess. I just squeezed him all over like fruit.
Teehee. I can just see poor Max. "Put me down, woman!! I'm not a melon!!!!" (best effect if imagined in the voice of an angry british man)

patdbunny wrote:
GlassOnion wrote:
They're considered the dumbest of the 'toos.
Dumb in a high maintenance emotional animal can be a good thing. Humans like "smart" animals, but most humans cannot keep up with a smart animal. A dumb english bull dog that takes 8 hours to figure out that you went to work before deciding to destroy the house is a "better" pet for most people than a border collie that figures out you went to work in 2 minutes and decides to destroy the house all day long.

Our prior M2 - he was smart. He knew the rule was don’t leave your playpen or top of the cage. I think he knew the rule. When he destroyed my friend’s exercise bike, he didn’t break the rule. He got around the rule by keeping his feet on the playpen and reaching over to chew on the bike.
Second that. My GSP is NOT a bright dog. Trainingwise he's pretty smart- he had sit, stay, down, all that pretty young and retained it well. But as far as logically and behaviorally, you can tell he's somewhat of a brick wall. Still, if I could just clone him and never have another dog again, I would. He's sweet, obedient, and emotionally connected to me (though I'm not sure what that says about MY intelligence... OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs 2277367267 ). Same with horses. Smart animals get bored easily, which I don't think is a good thing for any member of the animal kingdom. Besides, stupid things are more fun Razz

I'm throwing this out there, but I just want you guys to know I feel rotten saying this, like it's betrayal. I've told Vicki before, but I'm worried Yoshi isn't going to be as high-energy and clownish as I hoped my bird would be. I had read that they were, and honestly, "quiet" was more important to me in my current living situation than "playful." And I realize he's young, but he's more... pensive? Intellectual. Cuddly as anything, which I love. But my next addition (which will be years down the road unless I run into money and our tenant moves out...) I hope will match my goofy personality more.

OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs 1958580474
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:45 pm

OMG I'll trade you one of my goofy and outgoing kids for Yoshi. OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs 1772756215
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 2:25 pm

I thought there were Galahs that weren't very active?

I also read from a few sources that they tended to be a lot more high-strung and nippy than some of the other 'toos, that a potential owner should be aware of their frequent unpredictability.
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 3:56 pm

it's funny, my friend's dad has had a lesser sulfur crested cockatoo for at least 25 years. He has a pretty big cage that's very clean but only has a toy or two in it at most. And every time I'm over there it is the same toy. Plus I take rainbow out more than he takes that bird out. Still the 'too isn't a plucker or a screamer or a biter. thinking He maybe has a prefence towards men but other than that he seems like a perfect too. He sweet talks you to get head scritches through the bars and is really funny to watch as he tries to get your attention. I've heard him belt out a few "omg I can't believe a bird can be that loud" squawks before but it lasts no more than a handful of seconds. They also had a sun conure who became a plucker, screamer, and a biter but that was the mom's bird....
I just thought it was interesting because I've always assumed that for a cockatoo to be happy you'd have to give him a ton of stuff to do? I still think that but this is food for thought
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 6:36 pm

After reading everything, I say, that I don't know a lot about Galahs. But I'm gonna OT about Debra's decision.
patdbunny wrote:
(...)
Your husband’s lived with a too before. He enjoys them and knows what to expect. I think you guys would do well, behaviorally, with a too.
Nothing to add to this one!
And my opinion, you guys don't have kids, like me. If you and your husband feel for a bird, why not. At least you give a loving home for a Max for years. And I hope your husband is not reading this, you'll keep him always busy and connected to house Wink
I made decision for getting Amazon and I know for a fact, they have tendency to be fat. Does it mean that they have to have a tumor? And even if, my mother died for cancer(age 40), my father died for cancer(age 62), I was treated for cancer(at age ~32). My boyfriend's sister has a cancer, his dog has a cancer. Any bird can have it too. Maybe I look at live from different perspective, but seriously Deb, what you have to loose? In the worst case scenario, you'll trade that bird within a year Wink Forgive me for Off-topic.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 6:42 pm

http://www.jstor.org/pss/40236503

You may be interested in reading this study. While it doesn't study the formation of lipomas in avian species, it does study the treatment after development. I don't have access to the full article because I don't have the money to spare to buy it this month, but I'm sure you'd be able to get access to it.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 7:02 pm

LyzGrace wrote:
patdbunny wrote:
Teehee. I can just see poor Max. "Put me down, woman!! I'm not a melon!!!!" (best effect if imagined in the voice of an angry british man)
He did look at me like - Wha? Okaaayy. . . yer a little weird, but whatever.

LyzGrace wrote:
patdbunny wrote:
GlassOnion wrote:
They're considered the dumbest of the 'toos.

Second that. My GSP is NOT a bright dog. Trainingwise he's pretty smart- he had sit, stay, down, all that pretty young and retained it well. But as far as logically and behaviorally, you can tell he's somewhat of a brick wall. Still, if I could just clone him and never have another dog again, I would. He's sweet, obedient, and emotionally connected to me (though I'm not sure what that says about MY intelligence... OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs 2277367267 ). Same with horses. Smart animals get bored easily, which I don't think is a good thing for any member of the animal kingdom. Besides, stupid things are more fun Razz
Galah's being "dumb" appeals to me. But a dumb too, reading between the lines, you're still pitting yourself against the dumbest guy with a Mensa membership.

LyzGrace wrote:
I'm throwing this out there, but I just want you guys to know I feel rotten saying this, like it's betrayal. I've told Vicki before, but I'm worried Yoshi isn't going to be as high-energy and clownish as I hoped my bird would be. I had read that they were, and honestly, "quiet" was more important to me in my current living situation than "playful." And I realize he's young, but he's more... pensive? Intellectual. Cuddly as anything, which I love. But my next addition (which will be years down the road unless I run into money and our tenant moves out...) I hope will match my goofy personality more.
We'll see if you'll be eating your words when Yoshi hits his first birthday. Sometimes you need to let them mature a bit. Our goffin was a sedate little sweet doll until she hit about 2.

GlassOnion wrote:
I thought there were Galahs that weren't very active?
Dunno. He was jumping around like a monkey for me, leaping 6 inches off the perch.

GlassOnion wrote:
I also read from a few sources that they tended to be a lot more high-strung and nippy than some of the other 'toos, that a potential owner should be aware of their frequent unpredictability.
Sounds a lot like our old goffin.

moa wrote:
it's funny, my friend's dad has had a lesser sulfur crested cockatoo for at least 25 years. He has a pretty big cage that's very clean but only has a toy or two in it at most. And every time I'm over there it is the same toy. Plus I take rainbow out more than he takes that bird out. Still the 'too isn't a plucker or a screamer or a biter. OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs 419367009 He maybe has a prefence towards men but other than that he seems like a perfect too. He sweet talks you to get head scritches through the bars and is really funny to watch as he tries to get your attention. I've heard him belt out a few "omg I can't believe a bird can be that loud" squawks before but it lasts no more than a handful of seconds. They also had a sun conure who became a plucker, screamer, and a biter but that was the mom's bird....
I just thought it was interesting because I've always assumed that for a cockatoo to be happy you'd have to give him a ton of stuff to do? I still think that but this is food for thought
My toos (a lot of my pet birds in general) don't have a truck load of toys and they're not rotated out with any particular regularity. My "opinion" is a lot of out of cage time, a lot of outings and they're mentally stimulated. Then they "go to their rooms" (cage) and don't need a huge amount of stuff in there.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 7:08 pm

LyzGrace wrote:
patdbunny wrote:
OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs 1335033401 You and your british accent OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs 3837688113
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 8:16 pm

patdbunny wrote:
moa wrote:
it's funny, my friend's dad has had a lesser sulfur crested cockatoo for at least 25 years. He has a pretty big cage that's very clean but only has a toy or two in it at most. And every time I'm over there it is the same toy. Plus I take rainbow out more than he takes that bird out. Still the 'too isn't a plucker or a screamer or a biter. OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs 419367009 He maybe has a prefence towards men but other than that he seems like a perfect too. He sweet talks you to get head scritches through the bars and is really funny to watch as he tries to get your attention. I've heard him belt out a few "omg I can't believe a bird can be that loud" squawks before but it lasts no more than a handful of seconds. They also had a sun conure who became a plucker, screamer, and a biter but that was the mom's bird....
My toos (a lot of my pet birds in general) don't have a truck load of toys and they're not rotated out with any particular regularity. My "opinion" is a lot of out of cage time, a lot of outings and they're mentally stimulated. Then they "go to their rooms" (cage) and don't need a huge amount of stuff in there.
very true, I was just surprised that he isn't taken out very often either. I've spent a couple days there and he comes out for an hour or two a day. Maybe they weren't taking him out because of me? thinking I keep meaning to ask them what their secret to such a well adjusted 'too is...
anyways I think it's gotten to the point that I've read waaay too many cockatoo horror stories on the net suspect

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs   OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs Empty

Back to top Go down

OK, tell me what you know about Rose-breasted Cockatoos aka Galahs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next